Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Off-idle/low speed drivability with large cams (BF272, S2, S1, 280s, etc)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011, 03:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Off-idle/low speed drivability with large cams (BF272, S2, S1, 280s, etc)

On my Evo 8, I've gone from stock to HKS 264/272 to Comp 280s to Buschur BF272s (installed when I got a BR head) over the past 7 years. In each case the idle quality has gone down slightly, the car has needed a bit more RPM to get going and the willingness of the car to bump along in stop and go traffic at 1000-1200 rpm has dropped. In each case, the car was painstakingly retuned to make drivability as good as possible. I've been running SD on the stock ECU since the Comp 280s.

There was little change in drivability from stock to the HKSs and even the 280s just sounded bumpy at idle but drove similar to stock once underway. The Buschur cams are significantly more reluctant below 1400 rpm and make it very hard to move along slowly in 1st gear. I'm thinking of pulling them out to make the car more ,drivable in stop and go morning traffic. As it is, I tend not to drive the car unless I know that I'm not going to have to do a lot of heavy traffic driving.

I'm considering the GSC S1s or S2s as a replacement. I'm open to other suggestions as well. My car does have a BR head, so it has valve springs to accommodate more lift.

Does anyone have back to back experience with the BF272s and S2s? Are the S2s smoother below 1200 rpm? I'm confident that the S1s would be a vast improvement in drivability but less sure about the S2s. While I know they are popular and make good power, I don't want to swap one bumpy, grumpy set of cams for another. These days I don't have time to race my car and want to enjoy it more on a day to day basis.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
lots of people dd there car on s2. the bf272 are a big cam and that why it is not so good for dd
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:07 AM
EvoM Guru

With the S2s, can you roll along in 1st gear at 1000-1200 rpm, or will the car buck and surge?

Does anyone with S2s drive in bumper to bumper traffic regularly?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 05:19 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive with them in traffic all the time. They are not bad at all. I had to raise my idle to 900 rpm though.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

I've had the S2's for over a year now and I have driven it in Chicago traffic with no problem along with LA traffic. Never had an issue with them at low speeds.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't think what you are experiencing is from the cams. I have our cams in both my '32 Ford and my RS. The idle on both is set at 1,000 and is smooth. Chugging the car along at that very-very low rpm causes chugging in a ton of cars, not just with our cams. I have completely worked it out of the '32 with the auto trans, that car's drive ability I will put up against anything. My RS is damn close but will still start to "chug" at super low speeds, like creeping into the school to drop my kids off in the morning. I have found a few things that can help it. One was injector phasing, which I don't think is even adjustable in the stock ECU and if it is, I'd leave it alone as I'd say it is correct. The other is accel fuel settings, there is a good chance that is the problem in your car. Those super small throttle changes cause the injectors to inject extra fuel for accel enrichment and can wreak havoc on that low speed. To get my '32 to idle through a parking lot like a bone stock Camry I had to eliminate one of the accel fuel tables all together in the Haltech.

Change cams if that's the easy way out but there is no reason to not daily drive our cams like someone else just said in here that obviously has NO clue what he is talking about.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

My S2's are fine, it idles around 1100-1200rpm tho. I drive 500+ miles a week and have traffic including in the summer time with a/c on. Has crap low end power but I can live with it. Like Dave said, all has to do with the tune too
Old Oct 28, 2011, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
never had an experience with s2s but my BF272s are tolerable for dd. im considering going s3 for my DD
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:31 PM
EvoM Guru

I hope I didn't give the impression that the BF272s aren't streetable. I've been driving the car for 2 years on the street with the BFs. Where I have issues is in bumper to bumper morning traffic where everyone is moving at 1-1/2 mph. For normal suburban driving, there is no issue at all. I also don't have issues in parking lots. It's just that creeping along with a bunch of automatic-equipped Camry's and Civics that I get frustrated with it -- which is pretty much every day for 15 minutes if I want to commute with this car. I'd gladly give up power up top to smooth things out down low...
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im not gonna lie my car bogs here n there sub 10 mph light throttle in traffic i just learned to let off in stop n go traffic coast it in neutral till traffic opens up again, but yea i do know what your talkin about. I have s2's by the way, I think any big cam on stock ecu is gonna do this reguardless of what brand if your on stock ecu. Lack of vacuum with big cams, and taking off from a dead stop requires more throttle to get going, and if you immediately let off the throttle or barely crack open the tb by keepin your foot barely on it, the cars gonna barely chug because it wants to go and your not letting it haha. So casein point, give the person in front of u some distance in traffic that way your left foot dont suffer haha Or end up bigger then your right
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

I have had the GSC S1's for about 1.5 years and they have been great.

I never did notice a difference in driveability from stock, just that the idle has slightly more lope to it.

I am still able to have A/C on, and hit the brakes repeatibly at idle without a hint of stalling.