Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Grind going into 5th at high speed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Becha your fluid hasn't been changed since the day it drove off the lot. Change the fluid every 3-6k miles and you won't have a problem... Unless the syncros/tranny are bad.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Apparently no one read the OP... he has a VERY LIGHT GRIND in FIFTH GEAR at HIGH SPEED.

That doesn't mean his tranny is junk, it doesn't mean his synchros are junk... it's what the car does.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:46 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i experienced the same issue with my GSR, syncro was gone we did a double syncro on it, and put some slicky synthetic AMSOIL MTG and i can shift her at any rpm range and falls right in

deff syncro if you cant shift her after 4 or 5k
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

I used to have the infamous fifth gear synchro grind at high speed. It went away after I changed my fluid to Redline MT-90. I haven't had the grind since and I shift at all different rpms. That would be my first suggestion. You might as well try the method that cost the less first.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by recompile
Apparently no one read the OP... he has a VERY LIGHT GRIND in FIFTH GEAR at HIGH SPEED.

That doesn't mean his tranny is junk, it doesn't mean his synchros are junk... it's what the car does.
If this is what you think the car does and is nor mal to you then you have a warped point of view.

Simple answer.......If it grinds there is a problem, Every time it grinds it will damage the gear and slider.

It will end up looking like this if it isn't already.

Old Mar 30, 2009, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

This is what happens when a tranny grinds^^ If you don't fix it asap it will just get more costly to fix in the future.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
OK. I'll start a poll and find out how many people daily drive their Evos with this exact same problem and don't ruin their trannies.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 05:19 PM

my 4th gear sometimes grinds when am at high rpms..i've just learned to deal with it. coming from driving DSMs im used to driving with grinding gears..oh well. when its time for a rebuild, i'll rebuild. but for now just deal with it
Old Mar 30, 2009, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

OK. I'll start a poll and find out how many people daily drive their Evos with this exact same problem and don't ruin their trannies.
Wow, Seriously? Unbelievable!!
It did not come from the factory like that so that is not "normal".

I have taken these transmissions apart a few times and I can tell you from 1st hand exp that this condition is not normal.
Call Tre,shep or jacks and ask if this is a "normal" condition.

Let me guess the pic I posted of the gear where the engagement teeth are all chewed up is normal to you?

Ask the rebuild shops if it will eventually ruin the trans and I would be willing to bet everything I own that they will all say yes.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by boostfr3ak
my 4th gear sometimes grinds when am at high rpms..i've just learned to deal with it. coming from driving DSMs im used to driving with grinding gears..oh well. when its time for a rebuild, i'll rebuild. but for now just deal with it

so this is awesome info comming from everybody so s for everybody

but just so i understand......i'm hearing "deal with it" as a solution.......i'm actually pretty ready to accept that......especially that involves me doing nothing about it!

but seriously.....please forgive me becuase i'm pretty unknowledgeble about how it works.....if i just grind 5th on lapping days, will i just ruin 5th or everything else also ....

i'm actually not going to do nothing about it......i'm looking to put my snow tires back on it and get it to the stealership.......it's why i'm stock, so i can depend on them, cuz i certainly don't know what i'm doing......

i'm down for doing basic stuff.....even if it's covered under warantee, becuase the nearest dealership is a couple of hours away and i can't go without my car for very long.....getting rides back and forth 3 days to 2 weeks apart seriously sucks butt

but if all i got to do is change fluid i'm all over it......

any way to determine if thats the best route, besides just changing the fluid?

i should just sack up and do it.........any other recomendations for fluid besides whats been mentioned?

Last edited by V Dub Mike; Mar 30, 2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Just wanna say that I had that problem for a while. I'd baby it, and double clutch when ever I'd go to fifth, and that kept it from grinding while daily driving. I always used OEM fluid and changed it every 2 oil changes or 6,000 miles, give or take. (I'm neurotic about my car sometimes.) At 30,000 miles I changed to Amsoil MTG and the 5th gear grind is gone. I want to acknowledge that I am NOT an Amsoil advocate, (usually Alisyn) but this worked really well for me as a transmission fluid. I suggest you give it a try. Alisyn, Type 6, 0W-20 is still my motor oil of choice.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

mine has done it ever since the car had 5,000 miles on it. I now have 83,000+ miles. The grind didnt happen as often when I switched to a QM twin disc and did a 50/50 Red Line MTL/MT-90 fluid change....

P.S. I beat the ever living **** out of my car....stock, unmodified 2005 GSR 5-speed tranny. I run low 11 sec. e.ts and do some off track racing as well....free way rolls mostly. I rpm match when I shift to 5th and that seemed to help quite a bit in terms of extending its life.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by V Dub Mike
so this is awesome info comming from everybody so s for everybody

but just so i understand......i'm hearing "deal with it" as a solution.......i'm actually pretty ready to accept that......especially that involves me doing nothing about it!

but seriously.....please forgive me becuase i'm pretty unknowledgeble about how it works.....if i just grind 5th on lapping days, will i just ruin 5th or everything else also ....

i'm actually not going to do nothing about it......i'm looking to put my snow tires back on it and get it to the stealership.......it's why i'm stock, so i can depend on them, cuz i certainly don't know what i'm doing......

i'm down for doing basic stuff.....even if it's covered under warantee, becuase the nearest dealership is a couple of hours away and i can't go without my car for very long.....getting rides back and forth 3 days to 2 weeks apart seriously sucks butt

but if all i got to do is change fluid i'm all over it......

any way to determine if thats the best route, besides just changing the fluid?

i should just sack up and do it.........any other recomendations for fluid besides whats been mentioned?
5th may already be trashed, People don't understand what happens when you hear or feel a grind in the trans.
Where do you think that metal goes when you grind a gear?
The fluid will hold most of that metal in suspension so it can trash all bearings etc.

And the fluid is a huge bandaid, Basically what a syncromesh or a fluid of that type does is slow the gearset down by using a friction modifer (graphite) to take the place of a good working syncro.

The job of a syncro is to slow the gearset down kind of like brakes do on your car so they (syncros) are a wear item and will eventually fail just like brakes do.

Think about when brakes start to go in your car, They will start to squeal to indicate they are at the end of their service life so the trans is trying to tell you the same thing.

Last edited by xspsi4; Mar 30, 2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my bet would be the syncros...
Old Mar 30, 2009, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

i have the same problem, grind into 5th at high rpms but no grind when shifting normally. Guess I better start saving for a new tranny

Quick Reply: Grind going into 5th at high speed