Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Synapse BOV

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2009, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I concurr w/ the boost leaks around the fittings which are very fragile. C broke off when tightening! And, I'm also mildly impressed. There's ton of mid throttle flutter. It seems to response best when going WOT. I'm wondering if I should go back to my IX bov!!!

It would help if Synapsis tech provided some guidance on the specific setup for our evos!

Time for another boost leake test for this bov, lol...
Old Apr 13, 2009, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=mrfred;6932443]Seems strange that this would work better. The OEM DV vacuum line is pretty large diameter, and its a short run to the DV. It should give the fastest response.

I'm in full agreement with you, but not all Evo's behave in this manner either, so go figure.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:09 PM

update: We did record the video. Should have it tonight or tomorrow. It did endeed leak around the housing.
He called synapse, and they said there is a o-ring around the housing maybe it wasn't there so he took apart the bov and sir enough it was there. So when reassembling it, he broke off port c tightening it. He called them back and they are sending out another one, and a RMA bag/box for his old one. If this one has issues as well, he is requesting a refund and going to a different brand.

I'll be back when I have a video for you guys.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have been running the stock plastic dv and today installed my new synapse bov. My turbo would hit 28-30 in third gear. I went out today turned the boost down to 28psi on my ebc and hit 37 and had to jump on the clutch to stop it.
This bov is amazing very reponsive at low boost and yet strong enough to let my turbo run away. Now I need to fix the boost creep...
I am very happy with it and recommend it to everyone. I had no problems installing it what so ever.

Last edited by mt057; Nov 25, 2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I installed my synapse on Tuesday. I have an HKS UICP so I installed with the HKS adapter kit. Install was pretty easy. The hardest part was going to Vatozone and searching through all the pre fabbed heater hoses to fine a close fit to re-circ the BOV. All done and the drivability is much better than the HKS SSQV. I have no complains so far, but I have only driven it 5 minutes cause I had to fly to VA the next day to go out for a short det on the Truman. I will post a better review after I get some more seat time when I get back.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 03:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Running into problems installing my Synchronic BOV.

Would you guys let it sit this close to the exhaust manifold? I have a buschur intake and the hole in the intake piping is more angled to the middle of the car, than what the stock intake is.

Any thoughts? Anyone with a buschur intake pipe run this?

Also, has anyone just ran port A connected, and left b/c unconnected? If you leave any of these disconnected, should I be capping them off I'd assume?

Thanks,
Brent
Old Apr 20, 2009, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

If I were you I would connect it to the UICP and run a 1" or whatever the size of hose to the intake.

I finally had the car tuned and the BOV works fantastically!! I did blow it off the uicp pipe though at 28psi which scared the **** out of me!!
Old Apr 20, 2009, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

since making the move... this thing is sweet. With my set up it has a nice little tisssh sound putting around under low boost. holds strong and responsive in high boost!!! I think my tuner is finally warming up to it... he called it a "mini hair dryer".
Old May 12, 2009, 12:32 PM

Had my 1st major problem with the synapse after one year of happy use. All the sudden it stopped working had to do 3 boost leeks and everything was fine so I had to take it of the car and disassemble it to find that the main shaft that operates the gate ( which is made of two parts ) was disconnected from the middle just had to tighten the thing back together and its running like it was the 1st day.

I came to conclude that what caused this was using the Anti-stall kit for about a week when I 1st bought it
Old May 12, 2009, 04:53 PM

I myself have this BOV. It has been nothing but great! Super-responsive throttle, and holds boost great. When I got my valve, I found that the brass ports seemed loose, and I could turn them by hand. While tightening them down, I broke off port C, and had to call Synapse. A new one came in a reasonable amount of time, and I was good to go again. I had an HKS SSQ before this, and the Synapse works a ton better! I see a lot of folks knocking Synapse for the different way they go about things, but change is always met with resistance. Let's see if they will survive.
Old May 19, 2009, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

how necessary is the anti stall kit, i'm looking to run this bov vta.
Old May 20, 2009, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just installed this DV about two weeks ago. It's working great.

I am using the stock intake pipe and stock UICP and the only thing I didn't like was how Synapse recommends installing the DV. Putting this in the same location as the stock DV is just too tight of a fit, either touching the upper radiator hose, the radiator fan shroud, or both.

So, what I did was to simply buy a 1.25" 90 plastic elbow to allow me to install the DV sort of behind/parallel to the turbo intake pipe. Much better fitment and much more room and now I don't have to worry about the DV being so close to to the radiator hose, fan shroud, etc.

Last edited by l2r99gst; May 20, 2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old May 20, 2009, 08:04 AM

interesting.... i was actually just looking at this bov 2 days ago... was thinking about buying it but not too sure. it says it can hold 100 psi, factory tested... but hows the durability? and what does it sound like??? if someone could post a video or sound clip that would be awesome. right now i have a greddy type rs.. which is broken lol. im boosting 26.5 lbs and it doesnt hold.. i drop to 22.5 at redline. btw does anyone know how much the stock 9 wastegate can hold? is it the same as the 8's 22- 24 psi? id assume its stronger sicne theres a bigger turbo?
Old May 21, 2009, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by 06EvoIX
interesting.... i was actually just looking at this bov 2 days ago... was thinking about buying it but not too sure. it says it can hold 100 psi, factory tested... but hows the durability? and what does it sound like??? if someone could post a video or sound clip that would be awesome. right now i have a greddy type rs.. which is broken lol. im boosting 26.5 lbs and it doesnt hold.. i drop to 22.5 at redline. btw does anyone know how much the stock 9 wastegate can hold? is it the same as the 8's 22- 24 psi? id assume its stronger sicne theres a bigger turbo?
Synapse DV is a pull type, the DV is open under vacuum as soon as you hit 7psi it would close so in theory it should take any amount of boost . If you close any of its port with your fingers it wouldn’t open.
Regarding the sound you won’t hear nothing,
Old May 31, 2009, 05:45 AM

Actually, the Synapse BOV closes as soon as boost comes on.

Quick Reply: Synapse BOV