Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cosworth pistons major problem!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2009, 04:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cosworth pistons major problem!!!!

Hello,
A week ago we tried to rebuilt an Evo IX motor that had Cosworth pistons and Cosworth rods.
The Cosworth built motor was having only 5000 miles.
The main problem was that this Evo was needing 1lt of oil (15W-50 Cosworth recommendation) every 600 daily driven miles!!!!
We thought that the problem was on the piston rings.
Everything was ok on the rings and the rings gap... the magor problems was on the pistons and the piston clearance from the cylinder wall!!!
We measure them (Cosworth forge pistons PA2689 standard 85mm) and the following numbers came on....

Piston 1:84.40mm diameter on the top 84.81mm diameter on the end of the bottom
Piston 2:84.40mm diameter on the top 84.87mm diameter on the end of the bottom
Piston 3:84.40mm diameter on the top 84.83mm diameter on the end of the bottom
Piston 4:84.40mm diameter on the top 84.87mm diameter on the end of the bottom

The pistons are smaller than it should be after 5000 miles only!!!!
I am not sure if the pistons was smaller when we bought them or they got smaller afterwards.
That is the reason of the oil problem !!!
Huge piston to cylinder gap!
The problem is on all 3 Evo's that we used Cosworth pistons PA2689 !!!!
The green coating is ok.
Also now you have to use a hummer the get the pins out of the pistons!!!

I am trying to find out the Cosworth pistons diameter specifications for these pistons.
I contact already and email Cosworth USA and Cosworth UK.
I am waiting for the specs.

I am wondering right now which one (Buschur,AMS,anyone else) have std bore forged pistons with zero deck height and ofset pins for Evo IX.
We need to change the Cosworth's.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Does anyone else had the same piston problem in the past?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why dont you call or pm a vendor on here for faster results?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Because I am waiting for someone that use Cosworth pistons to speak about oil consumption.
Dis anyone measure diameter of a used Cosworth piston?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 05:44 PM
Account Disabled

A few points

From my experience Cosworth Pistons are of the highest quality you can purchase and they are made in the same UK facility as where the Champ, CART and F1 pistons are made

The uniformity between pistons and finish and the design is simply of the best possible quality

Secondly, a piston is properly measured at approx 10 - 15 mm from the botttom of the skirt on the side.

The critical measurement on a piston is the piston to wall clearence which is supposed to be in the range of .0029 to .0035 on a typical street car - (more for heavy boost or nos applications). The way the measurement is made is by using a bore dial gauge to measure the bores and also checking the roundness and top to bottom eveness of the bores then measure the piston with a quality micrometer and subtract the difference.

The final dimension to check - especially for oil consumption is the ring gaps and oil control rings.

I would be very suprized to see any Cosworth engine product having any problems what so ever. Simply put the Cosworth stuff is the best you can buy - period.

I am a Master Distributor for Cosworth and will be happy to answer ant tech questions you have.

BTW did you do a leak down and compression test prior to disasembly?

Al
Old Apr 16, 2009, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Were all three longblocks assembled by Cosworth?

Last edited by sparky; Apr 16, 2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

did you hear any piston clap?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 09:52 PM
Account Disabled

BTW - just thinking about your post, if you needed to remove the wrist pin with a hammer - no doubt your tuning resulted in detonation and either bent the wrist pin / piston or both.

I have seen cars with huge power running the Cosworth pitsons and writs pins and never saw any of them bend or become stuck in the piston.

Al
Old Apr 17, 2009, 01:33 AM
Evolving Member

konstantinos i bought a cosworth shortblock and i have the information sheet that comes with it. it lists piston to cylinder clearance and ring end gaps from the top and 2nd ring. send me a pm if you need the info.

Something else this shortblock came with + 0.5 mm overbore pistons. I asked cosworth why they list it as 85 mm and they told me that they buy new shortblocks but some of them simply dont have the right piston to cylinder clearance and they need to be honed for larger pistons. so maybe your problem is there.

Last edited by DimitrisIX; Apr 17, 2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by konstantinosIX
Hello,
A week ago we tried to rebuilt an Evo IX motor that had Cosworth pistons and Cosworth rods.
The Cosworth built motor was having only 5000 miles.
The main problem was that this Evo was needing 1lt of oil (15W-50 Cosworth recommendation) every 600 daily driven miles!!!!
We thought that the problem was on the piston rings.
Everything was ok on the rings and the rings gap... the magor problems was on the pistons and the piston clearance from the cylinder wall!!!
We measure them (Cosworth forge pistons PA2689 standard 85mm) and the following numbers came on....

Piston 1:84.40mm diameter on the top 84.81mm diameter on the end of the bottom
Piston 2:84.40mm diameter on the top 84.87mm diameter on the end of the bottom
Piston 3:84.40mm diameter on the top 84.83mm diameter on the end of the bottom
Piston 4:84.40mm diameter on the top 84.87mm diameter on the end of the bottom

The pistons are smaller than it should be after 5000 miles only!!!!
I am not sure if the pistons was smaller when we bought them or they got smaller afterwards.
That is the reason of the oil problem !!!
Huge piston to cylinder gap!
The problem is on all 3 Evo's that we used Cosworth pistons PA2689 !!!!
The green coating is ok.
Also now you have to use a hummer the get the pins out of the pistons!!!

I am trying to find out the Cosworth pistons diameter specifications for these pistons.
I contact already and email Cosworth USA and Cosworth UK.
I am waiting for the specs.

I am wondering right now which one (Buschur,AMS,anyone else) have std bore forged pistons with zero deck height and ofset pins for Evo IX.
We need to change the Cosworth's.
sounds like you made wrong assumption. oil consumption was far more likley coming from valve guides or turbo. the piston measurements are just fine. drop in pistons from cosworth should have .005 inches (.13mm ) piston to wall clearance. forget measuring top of piston, that will always be way smaller than bottom of piston because it expands far more. you only need to measure the bottom of piston. those measurements listed are perfect for drop in pistons. no way was that the cause of oil consumption. as far as pins being tight , that is normal as well. the pins move back and forth when engine is running. this puts load on the locks that distorts the groove for the locks. making it very difficult to get pins back out.

post pictures of the pistons if you want better answers. that will tell us way more than your measurements given

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Apr 17, 2009 at 06:28 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
A few points

From my experience Cosworth Pistons are of the highest quality you can purchase and they are made in the same UK facility as where the Champ, CART and F1 pistons are made

The uniformity between pistons and finish and the design is simply of the best possible quality

Secondly, a piston is properly measured at approx 10 - 15 mm from the botttom of the skirt on the side.

The critical measurement on a piston is the piston to wall clearence which is supposed to be in the range of .0029 to .0035 on a typical street car - (more for heavy boost or nos applications). The way the measurement is made is by using a bore dial gauge to measure the bores and also checking the roundness and top to bottom eveness of the bores then measure the piston with a quality micrometer and subtract the difference.

The final dimension to check - especially for oil consumption is the ring gaps and oil control rings.

I would be very suprized to see any Cosworth engine product having any problems what so ever. Simply put the Cosworth stuff is the best you can buy - period.

I am a Master Distributor for Cosworth and will be happy to answer ant tech questions you have.

BTW did you do a leak down and compression test prior to disasembly?

Al
No real polite way to say this AL, dont know where you are getting your piston to wall specs but recommending .0029-.0035 is motor suicide for 2618 allow piston. Those clearances are good for 4032 only. 2618 allow requires .005 minimum. The cold truth is you should hear cold start piston slap when using 2618. If you dont hear them you have your clearances too tight. The loosest JE motor I built had clearance of .0065 and the piston skirts and ring seal was beautiful after 10,000 hard 35psi miles. Didnt burn oil. 4 % leakdown. no catch can needed. was quiet noisy on start up. but was quiet when warm.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Were all three longblocks assembled by Cosworth?
None of them assembled by Cosworth.
All the blocks assembled by the same mechanic... A very good mechanic.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by o7'silvermax
did you hear any piston clap?
No,just huge oil consumption.
The gaps on the rings is all at Cosworth's specs.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
BTW - just thinking about your post, if you needed to remove the wrist pin with a hammer - no doubt your tuning resulted in detonation and either bent the wrist pin / piston or both.

I have seen cars with huge power running the Cosworth pitsons and writs pins and never saw any of them bend or become stuck in the piston.

Al
The Evo that we measure the pistons tuned by a very popular tuner here in Greece called Giannis Andrianakis in a very safe way.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DimitrisIX
konstantinos i bought a cosworth shortblock and i have the information sheet that comes with it. it lists piston to cylinder clearance and ring end gaps from the top and 2nd ring. send me a pm if you need the info.

Something else this shortblock came with + 0.5 mm overbore pistons. I asked cosworth why they list it as 85 mm and they told me that they buy new shortblocks but some of them simply dont have the right piston to cylinder clearance and they need to be honed for larger pistons. so maybe your problem is there.
Dimitri email me if you can the informations.

Quick Reply: Cosworth pistons major problem!!!!