Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Warning - All Those Who Use An Aeromotive FP Regulator

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2009, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
If the FP gauge drops to zero instantly, this is NOT normal, and is indicative of a leak in the system. Saying this is normal is akin to saying that a tire with a nail in it is normal.

A seat must be cut such that the ball drops snugly into it and makes a good seal. I didn't watch Walker do it, but you see how it should be cut. It looks to me like it can be done carefully by hand, with the nose of an appropriately sized bit.
i wonder if i can press an insert into it as a seat--this might allow me to not have to screw the damn thing down nearly all the way even with the heavier spring installed. i'll pull it off this weekend and see how "bad" the sucker is. thanks again for the info.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys are nutz man. If I had something as important as a FPR freaking out on me I would drop kick that piece of junk into the bin and buy a different brand.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crcain
You guys are nutz man. If I had something as important as a FPR freaking out on me I would drop kick that piece of junk into the bin and buy a different brand.
Correct this is what I do.

Mark
Old Mar 4, 2009, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
If you have the skills to fix it why throw it away?

In my line of work there isnt anything that just comes out of a box and goes on the car without first being worked on or modified in one way or another and we get some damn nice parts to start with.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 02:11 PM

Good news mines was checked out yesterday and was fine, time to make a few passes now : )
Old Mar 4, 2009, 05:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
That wouldn't be a bad idea if an easy repair were impractical. Nevertheless, I can't say I'll either be buying or recommending Aeromotive FPs in the future.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:17 AM
Account Disabled

good stuff, mark shead is on it

what fpr's do you prefer mark?
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:24 AM
Account Disabled

looks like im sticking with fuel lab lol.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
good stuff, mark shead is on it

what fpr's do you prefer mark?

The small Sard up to 650hp and the Kinsler one after that, These are the ones I like and use,
I would have no problems with either Bosch or Webber ones other than those I would not recomend any others.

Mark
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
We use magnafuel so, I'd have to imagine they make a pretty decent piece.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 07:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Seems like pretty low budget engineering to use the aluminum housing as the seat. Normally a seat would be made of a more wear-resistant material such as a strengthened stainless steel.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
That regulator is not genuine. The real ones have a tapered seat and the taper is anodized just like it should be.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 09:05 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
The anodizing does look a little sub-par with the Aeromotives I've had in the past.

One thing I have seen a lot on Aeromotives though is vacuum leaks all over the place on them. If you find your regulator doesn't raise a true 1:1, you probably have a leaky one. Pretty easy to fix with just a touch of Hondabond on every thread and a tiny bit on the diaphragm sealing surface.

I've also had an Aeromotive where the vacuum fitting was rubbing on the diaphragm spring, causing erratic fuel pressure. A few seconds with a disc sander had it sorted out.

Honestly, I've had to tweak every Aeromotive I've owned or installed on a friends car. Once you get them fine tuned, they work great though.
I have moved to Weldon regulator and could not be happier
Old Mar 21, 2009, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

i was thinking on an aero fpr purchase, not anymore. thanks ted.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
That regulator is not genuine. The real ones have a tapered seat and the taper is anodized just like it should be.
It is infact a geniune item. Purchased from a very large Aeromotive distributor in the SE. I bought he same unit for my Evo and after repairing Ted's decided to open mine up to have a look. I didn't have any damage, as Ted did, but I had a flat anadized base with no tapered ball seat. I decided to go ahead and cut a seat in mine since that improved things for Ted.

Quick Reply: Warning - All Those Who Use An Aeromotive FP Regulator