Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

10,000 mile oil changes?!?

Old Dec 18, 2008, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10,000 mile oil changes?!?

Anyone else doing this?

Car is mostly stock. Leaky injector and HG are known issues. Make 340awhp on ~22psi, driven daily by me. Oh, I see the oil type is cut off... it is AMSoil 0w30 Signature.

I'll let the science do the talking:
Old Dec 18, 2008, 09:48 AM

I wouldn't dare run 10k on the Evo. Change the oil every 3k for the Evo. I ran Amsoil Series 2000 0w30 at 8k intervals - only took 3 intervals before I was replacing the motor, and I wasn't tracking the car at all back then.

Now, I run Mobil 1 5w30 and track the car all of the time. No issues for 22k miles. I do, however, change the oil before every track day or 3k miles, whichever comes first.

You will NEVER regret changing the oil early and often. Amsoil is great, but too expensive to change 8 times every summer for me. No reason to risk $6k on a motor, IMHO.

I did, however, run 20k intervals (Amsoil) in my Honda (starting at 50k miles). It is now at 150k+ miles and runs like a champ! I just don't think that even Amsoil can stand up to the abuse the Evo puts oil through...
Old Dec 18, 2008, 09:49 AM

in a turbo car, I wouldn't go that long... It might be just me but it seems like the car runs much better after an oil change (sti).
Old Dec 18, 2008, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

In a NA car, 10k miles is ok for synthetic oil. Never go over 5k in the evo and always use synthetic oil.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by batmoEVO
I wouldn't dare run 10k on the Evo. Change the oil every 3k for the Evo. I ran Amsoil Series 2000 0w30 at 8k intervals - only took 3 intervals before I was replacing the motor, and I wasn't tracking the car at all back then.

Now, I run Mobil 1 5w30 and track the car all of the time. No issues for 22k miles. I do, however, change the oil before every track day or 3k miles, whichever comes first.

You will NEVER regret changing the oil early and often. Amsoil is great, but too expensive to change 8 times every summer for me. No reason to risk $6k on a motor, IMHO.

I did, however, run 20k intervals (Amsoil) in my Honda (starting at 50k miles). It is now at 150k+ miles and runs like a champ! I just don't think that even Amsoil can stand up to the abuse the Evo puts oil through...
That's funny, because M1 is widely regarded as an inferior oil to AMSoil. At any rate, why should I throw money away doing 10 regular oil changes for every 3 I am doing with AMSoil? Chemistry doesn't lie.

Originally Posted by sizzflair
in a turbo car, I wouldn't go that long... It might be just me but it seems like the car runs much better after an oil change (sti).
Originally Posted by TxEvo8
In a NA car, 10k miles is ok for synthetic oil. Never go over 5k in the evo and always use synthetic oil.
I figured I'd get a few responses like this. Care to back up your claims with science?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I barely get 3k on mine.... change it after every lapping day.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

one thing i found about blackstone labs is they arent really true scientists or engineers. they have a simple set of criteria and reply with a cookie cutter response and alittle tweak for your car. their results often are often inconclusive and just ask to report back. thats fine and all but i see simply see it as "come back so we can have a return customer" lol.

10k oil interval is ridiculous in a turbo car lol. better safe then sorry, oil change isnt that expensive!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I barely get 3k on mine.... change it after every lapping day.
Have you ever done a UOA? I'm willing to placing a sizable bet you are throwing lots of perfectly good oil away.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
one thing i found about blackstone labs is they arent really true scientists or engineers. they have a simple set of criteria and reply with a cookie cutter response and alittle tweak for your car. their results often are often inconclusive and just ask to report back. thats fine and all but i see simply see it as "come back so we can have a return customer" lol.

10k oil interval is ridiculous in a turbo car lol. better safe then sorry, oil change isnt that expensive!
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/astm_methods.html

I'm not so concerned with the narrative as I am the actual numbers...
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by batmoEVO

Why did you run it 8000 when AMSOIL says 5000 without oil analysis ? There most likely was a problem with the engine that Oil Analysis may have been to keep you from having a catastrophic failure. ALSO, use of the AMSOIL Filter is recommended due to it's unbeatable filtration.

So you have a new engine, and are changing oil at 40 % of what you did with AMSOIL ? Also, which Mobil 1 are you running ? They have at least 3 different grades of 5W-30.

You have to look at cost per mile. 3000 on Mobil 1 which is the recommended interval by Mits using Synthetic oil. 5000 miles on AMSOIL as long as you use the AMSOIL Filter
Originally Posted by TxEvo8
You can run as many miles as Oil Analysis says. It is a tool that is widely used throughout many Industries. I even use it on my MotorCycle not only to extend oil change intervals but to see if there is a problem like when it had a K&N Air Filter on it to show how poor they actually work.

Originally Posted by derekste
That's funny, because M1 is widely regarded as an inferior oil to AMSoil. At any rate, why should I throw money away doing 10 regular oil changes for every 3 I am doing with AMSoil? Chemistry doesn't lie.

I figured I'd get a few responses like this. Care to back up your claims with science?
You are doing exactly the right thing, keep it up ! Although I use Oil Analyzers Inc. as they are ISO Accredited, at least you are doing something Pro-Active with Blackstone.

Originally Posted by mifesto

I prefer Oil Analyzers Inc. as the results can be duplicated and ISO Accredited. Blackstone is still better than a lot of so-called labs out there and any test results are better than NO test results

Mmmm... Not so... As stated, Science trumps that .

Have you ever done a UOA? I'm willing to placing a sizable bet you are throwing lots of perfectly good oil away.
I will second that bet ! Either that, or you do not have a clue if something is wrong with your engine... Such as you test shows.. The oil is Fantastic with a 5.8 TBN.. Most Petroleum oils are not a 5 or 6 right out of the bottle. It is showing almost double the allowable fuel dillution and has anti-freeze in it. BOTH of which are super critical or there wouldn't be limits on them.

These things, gone undetected, will destroy an engine in a short period of time and most likely, the blame will be put someplace else, such as the oil. After 35 years of doing this, almost 25 with AMSOIL, it never amazes me that no matter how many times you see the problems, tell the customer what may be happening, and they will believe Joe Mechanic who usually knows little to nothing about oils, fluids and Oil Analysis.

I'm not so concerned with the narrative as I am the actual numbers...
Again, you are right on track, KEEP it up !!!

Doc

Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Oil Doc
Again, you are right on track, KEEP it up !!!

Doc

Haha, thanks. Forgot to mention this was an AMSoil Ea filter. AMSoil claims these are good up to 25k when used with AMSoil oils. I'm not quite ready to do a 25k interval... but maybe something to work my way towards? I ran 10k intervals on my VW 1.8T using the AMSoil 5w40 with no problems, however I never did a UOA (mostly because VW recommended a 10k interval in Europe using any 502 oil... only in the US did they recommend 5k interval on the exact same car!)

I knew you preferred another service... perhaps I will take two samples next time and compare the results from two different labs! Would make an interesting meta-comparison.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Haha, thanks. Forgot to mention this was an AMSoil Ea filter. AMSoil claims these are good up to 25k when used with AMSoil oils. I'm not quite ready to do a 25k interval... but maybe something to work my way towards? I ran 10k intervals on my VW 1.8T using the AMSoil 5w40 with no problems, however I never did a UOA (mostly because VW recommended a 10k interval in Europe using any 502 oil... only in the US did they recommend 5k interval on the exact same car!)

I knew you preferred another service... perhaps I will take two samples next time and compare the results from two different labs! Would make an interesting meta-comparison.

Caution needs to be used, as you are... The EA Filter is good to 25,000 miles using the recommended AMSOIL oils in a vehicle where the oil is capable of that interval.

Change the oil, change the filter. In an EVO without using Analysis, 5000 miles, which is still 2000 more than recommended change interval under Severe Conditions which even 99% of even the average daily driver falls into.

I have just seen some questionable results with Blackstone.. I use Oil Analyzers Inc. as their labs are ISO Accredited..

One of the results noted would be an air cooled MotorCycle, driven daily for at least 100 miles and the analysis came back with water in the oil.... If it were left to sit or without riding those distances, I would not have doubted it. When called on it, they said there is no mistake, it is what it is... Mmmmm.. NOT !

100 miles a day and oil temps around 225.... Ain't any moisture happenin'

Doc
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Any one who changes synthetic oil in a street car at 3k miles is doing nothing but throwing money down the drain. 3k mile intervals was fine in the 1970's, but we've had nearly 40 years of technology advancement since then; unless its a dedicated track-car follow Mitsu's recommendation of 5k intervals. Heck, even that is wasteful since modern conventional oils have no problems going 5k miles even in turbo applications.

No wonder there is a shortage of oil. Think about it; imagine everyone gets away from the 3k interval and goes to 5-10k (and longer for some cars!) as recommended by manufacturers. Demand will be cut to less than half of what it currently is freeing up more available oil to produce gasoline/diesel from.

No matter what 90% of you "hardcore street racers" think, you're not punishing your oil that badly to be considered "severe duty" My car gets plenty of abuse on the streets, autocross, dyno, etc. but still has never once gotten an oil change sooner than 5k miles.

Last edited by Kracka; Dec 18, 2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by S2kracka
Any one who changes synthetic oil in a street car at 3k miles is doing nothing but throwing money down the drain. 3k mile intervals was fine in the 1970's, but we've had nearly 40 years of technology advancement since then; unless its a dedicated track-car follow Mitsu's recommendation of 5k intervals. Heck, even that is wasteful since modern conventional oils have no problems going 5k miles even in turbo applications.

Mits's Severe Service recommendation is 3000... Most every car meets severe service and with the EVO... wouldn't take the chance without oil analysis to back it up.

Doc
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

my opinion? im not concerned about oil itself breaking down. im just **** about what it collects. with majority of evos modding, adding more fuel, throwing race gas, using less then efficient open filters for sake of power etc, i just want that fresh oil and the old oil and residue to be flushed out often.

mitsu oil change interval is set for STOCK evos. with EGT's and oil temps skyrocketing because of modding, i dont know why people wave those numbers like its a bible. 5k interval i think is fair.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 10,000 mile oil changes?!?