Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best spark plugs for evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2009, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
NGK BPR7EIX gapped to .024 full bolt ons at 26 psi
Old Feb 13, 2009, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sparky
There is another school of thought which contends that a protruded tip, such as that of the BPR's is more prone to preignite the air/fuel mixture than the BR's recessed tip is. In this scenario, the hot, glowing tip, protruding further down into the combustion chamber, auto-ignites the air/fuel mixture prematurely, before the piston reaches TDC on the compression stroke, and before the sparkplug fires.
What you're talking about is called pre-ignition. In order for it to happen something has to be seriously wrong with the plug or tuning — really old or damaged plug, too hot of a heat range plug, extremely hot temps inside the chamber (lean mixture at boost). And it would lead to the plug melting and potentially a hole in the piston. So it doesn't really ever happen just because of the spark plug tip position design...
Old Feb 13, 2009, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also when it comes to pre-ignition, the position of the hotspot doesn't matter. The mixture is everywhere in the chamber. It could be a plug tip, an ehxaust valve or a glowing deposit anywhere in the chamber....
Old Feb 13, 2009, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the right ignition system my favorite is BR8es.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:42 AM

NGK BPR8EIX on my evo 8 on stock tubo/some bolt ons. feels much smoother than stock . i love those. i bought $6for each on Autobac.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does it really matter? NGK BPR8EIX or BPR7EIX on stock turbo but a few bolt-on parts? For example, myself with the mods in my sig. What would you guys recommend for good plug. I read somewhere in here that if you use plugs that have higher heat range can burn a hole in the piston. In this case, why are some using BPR8 in their stock turbo? Just curious because I may need to get a set due to I'm having some knocking in my motor. I notice that when I switch to racing fuel, it doesn't knock. Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2009, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Knocking is no good. Can you do a log and send it to 4WS to get his opinion? Maybe the tune needs to be slightly tweaked. How much boost are you running?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
Knocking is no good. Can you do a log and send it to 4WS to get his opinion? Maybe the tune needs to be slightly tweaked. How much boost are you running?
I did. He recommend me do boost leak test. I'm thinking of the gasket between TB and Intake Mani leaks because I remove it and put back the old one instead of a new gasket. I'm also thinking of the possibility of the spark plugs too. I believe it's still stock plugs and now I'm at 46k miles. Like I said, it runs fine when I put in race gas boosting around 24lbs of boost. Only for tuning. I usually runs 19 to 20 DD but hardly get on the throttle on my DD.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

seriously you get so many mixed opinions on this...my friends and the shop i get work done with say to go 1 step colder....mods in sig best suggestion?
Old Dec 26, 2010, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Do not run the 8 heatrange unless you are pushing at or above at least the 400whp mark. I've been switching around plugs quite frequently lately, with the spoolinup cop ignition kit and I'm at about the 360whp/350 tq range, full Perrin intake, ported /coated intake manifold, ets 3.5" intercooler coated, licp, 3" tbe, tuned at 23 psi... And My car seemed to run great when I switched to the br8es plug, and I change them just about every oil change because of the quick degradation of copper... And I have come to find that I am consistently fouling the br8es plugs pretty rapidly, my last set I ran even had some pretty bad misfires up top because of two fouled plugs... It's become more of a problem now with the colder temperatures in winter, but now I have gone back to the 7 heatrange I am much happier. Again I wouldn't recommend the 8 plugs unless you are running at least 400hp/ tq range, because if you're not, your spark plugs won't hold enough heat and you will foul your plugs often.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OZrallyracer
Do not run the 8 heatrange unless you are pushing at or above at least the 400whp mark. I've been switching around plugs quite frequently lately, with the spoolinup cop ignition kit and I'm at about the 360whp/350 tq range, full Perrin intake, ported /coated intake manifold, ets 3.5" intercooler coated, licp, 3" tbe, tuned at 23 psi... And My car seemed to run great when I switched to the br8es plug, and I change them just about every oil change because of the quick degradation of copper... And I have come to find that I am consistently fouling the br8es plugs pretty rapidly, my last set I ran even had some pretty bad misfires up top because of two fouled plugs... It's become more of a problem now with the colder temperatures in winter, but now I have gone back to the 7 heatrange I am much happier. Again I wouldn't recommend the 8 plugs unless you are running at least 400hp/ tq range, because if you're not, your spark plugs won't hold enough heat and you will foul your plugs often.
that's b/c you run br8es not bpr8es I had the same problem when running br8es
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

bump for needed info. I run the br7es' now and I'm at 350/350..... but Friday will be putting on new turbo, cams, injectors, ect.... and wonder if I should go br8es or not. Will be putting down 425/400 ish. Thanks for the info guys.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:10 PM

im currently running the BR7ES gapped at .26 and im getting some preignition thru gears, you think i should switch to a colder plug?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How much boost? What fuel? Whose tune? Preignition as differentiated from detonation? How do you know that the mixture is pre igniting anyway? You probably mean knocking or detonating, don't you? Preignition is an inaudible combustion event, I think.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:11 PM

22psi,premium,ivey tune, and um pretty sure its pre ignition becaue it only happens sometimes and its when i get on it, about half way thru a gear the car will shut down hp (knock sensor, said one of the guys at ivey tune) and its not all the time. he said my car was throwing 331 hp but sometimes the knock sensor would shut it down to like 319. on the dyno sheet you can see two spots where the sensor did this

Quick Reply: Best spark plugs for evo 8