Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Redline Heavy ShockProof Gear Oil or Amsoil SEVERE GEAR SVG?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2008, 08:48 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I guess Joh has 2 offers for testing this thing out.

here in orlando we have the shop capabilities to support this test in full plus hundreds of evos and DSM's local that will be waiting for our results, we are very intersted in testing.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any news on whether someone is going to test the oils? I really hope someone pulls through for us!
Old Dec 24, 2008, 07:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by dorian7
Any news on whether someone is going to test the oils? I really hope someone pulls through for us!
Don't use Shockproof. The moly gets flung out of solution and forms a nasty buildup.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This post is an intersting read. I´d love to see some gear oil analysis test result to have some facts. Until we have that, we´ll have to base our choices on limited "empyrical" results (shep, AMS), "theoretical" advantages, or blind faith.

Given the quite liberal stance on Vendors recommending their products over the competition based on lab studies published in their own website, I´d like to see someone from Redline commenting on some of the superiority claims made here.

Now, regarding this "Study of Automotive Lubes" which OilDoc is quite fond of linking from the "bestoil4u" site (http://www.bestoil4you.com/files/g2457GearLube.pdf):
- It was funded by one of the companies participating in the "study"
- It´s not blinded, has no independent central review
- It´s hansomely depicted by our friends at Amsoil marketing department

It´s marketing, plain and simple. I work as a consultant for the pharmaceutical industry and trying to sell your drug on such "evidence" would get your butt kicked out of the door of every prescribing physician in the country. This of course doesn´t mean Amsoil lubes are bad, it just means the test is quite possibly biased and thus cannot be used to make a decision.

Apagan01, thanks for trying to keep an objective stance even given your obvious economic ties with Amsoil. If I wanted to buy that oil, I´d get it from you. For now, I´m sticking with BG Syncroshift on the tranny and OEM in the transfer case / rear differential in my almost-stock evo.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 10:52 PM
Account Disabled

i had a very long conversation with John (shepp) and we discussed the posibility of testing, MT90 for tranny and AMSOIL ( i myself would like to do an oil analysis on the oil's ) however a real world test would be to run the tranny/ Diff for a period of time pull the system appart and meassure all the gears and internal components to check for excesive wear on the both oils this would tell us which oil is holding up and which one is not, this would be a straight up real deal test.
(HOWEVER FOR NOW NO TESTING)

Again to reiterate,,, some of you are still debating on what oils to use,,, if you run high horse power lets say over 450 and you drag the car like a track ***** using shockproof will help your ring and gear to reduce some of that metal to metal contact, keep in ming that shockproof is a dirty oil and you will have to change it more often, and if you are picky like me i would flush the TC to get all that crap it leaves behind (Red line not reccomended for use in an evo9 where ACD systems are used). i use OEM straight up.

tranny AMSOIL has shown great results in the tranny, my personal experience has been smoother shifting, and the fact that the MTG GL4 AMSOIL is 100% synthetic

Apagan01, thanks for trying to keep an objective stance even given your obvious economic ties with Amsoil. If I wanted to buy that oil, I´d get it from you. For now, I´m sticking with BG Syncroshift on the tranny and OEM in the transfer case / rear differential in my almost-stock evo.[/QUOTE]
Old Dec 29, 2008, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Just a small update, from Redline:

Alex,

In the Evolution transfer case and rear differential for street use I would recommend the 75W90. In the transaxle a 75W85 viscosity gear oil is called for we would recommend a blend of about equal parts MTL and MT-90.
The ShockProof gear oils are full synthetic products, designed and better suited for racing and some speciality applications. They do contain a moly component that can centrifuge out and then recombined. They also contain a friction modifier so wouldn't be recommended in synchro equipped transmissions or transaxles as they can be too slippery.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil
Old Jan 3, 2009, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nurburgring
Just a small update, from Redline:

Alex,

They do contain a moly component that can centrifuge out and then recombined.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

This is the part that is bothersome... The polymers "get centrifuged out" ... Then what good are they ?

Also, If it is still there, on Team Rips Website, they have done tear downs and found the polymers still centrifuged out, so when do they recombine ?

Doc
Old Jan 8, 2009, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

interesting thread
Old Jan 8, 2009, 01:24 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mega-z
interesting thread
it is isnt it.