Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Testing new Wavetrac front Diff...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2008, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Testing new Wavetrac front Diff...

I am testing the new Wavetrac front diff.

Looks like this:

I had one of the first quaife's in the country and it really made a difference on the track so I was really excited when Road Race Engineering offered me a chance to test one of these new diffs. My Quaife made a huge difference on the track, allowing me to rotate the car and maintain speed in the corners. My main complaint is that if you put a wheel off trying to gain a line or kick a rock into the car behind you, the dif could act like an open diff when it had no load or torque conditions.

The main advantage of the new diff is the ability to distribute power properly in no or low traction conditions ie: wet or dirt. I have really noticed the difference on a canyon run up angeles crest where there was water on half the road on a fast turn. The car just clawed it's way around the turn in a way I have never seen before. This was on shaved nto1's with no real grooves at a good clip.

I am really looking forward to testing this at the track. Will post observations soon.

Here is a link to info: http://www.roadraceengineering.com/e...e-moreinfo.htm
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Sweet looks good, i recently droped in a carbonetic LSD as well.

haven't had time to actually drive the car as the motor is out.
but you right in saying the gear LSD diff work like open diffs when one of the wheels gets of the ground... clutch diffs dont.

let us know when your done, is the diff compatible with ACD

Last edited by Whoop_ass; Oct 22, 2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

bump for an update
Old Dec 4, 2008, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Ya i have been looking at this for awhile now. Its a great concept and if the bugs got worked out "like any new part" Its going to be a great alternative to the ridiculous price and availability of the Quaife. Please keep up updated on your findings i guess i might have to be the one to test it at the strip..

Chris
Old Dec 4, 2008, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like a good idea for those swapping out their clutch on high mileage evo's since the diff is right there. . .how much are these diff's?
Old Dec 4, 2008, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

ack, just saw the website, $1150. . .so like a new turbo basically. . .pricey, but may be good for those that beat up on their evo and/or rally a lot. . .
Old Jan 5, 2009, 08:24 AM

Any updates on the performance yet?
Old Feb 24, 2009, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

Bump for updates....trying to decide what to put in my car for the 2009 season and this looks like a good option for dirty evos.

Thanks,

Dave
Old Feb 25, 2009, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

get a carbonetic LSD!!!
damn I am Soooooooo impressed with mine, by far the best mod i have done.

money well spent.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 09:05 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the competitor, this sounds great. For a daily driver, I'm not sure as I'm not a fan of clutch packs in a daily driver... as a rule. Granted this seems to be a little different... with friction "buttons". The sweet thing about the Quaife unit is that it's guaranteed for life. EVEN under racing conditions. I wonder what the service life of this unit will be? Looks like it should perform better than the Quaife unit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm ABSOLUTELY not bashing a product that I have no personal experience with. One would be a jackass to do so. Just posing questions that myself and other like minded users would have. I wonder how it would perform after 20k miles, 50k, 100k...
Old May 19, 2009, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
Bump for updates....trying to decide what to put in my car for the 2009 season and this looks like a good option for dirty evos.

Thanks,

Dave
Sorry for the delay, car had major body work: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...thout-kit.html

I finally got to drive wavetrac on the track- significant improvement vs quaife. It is significantly "smoother" in how the power transitions when you are rotating the car in a corner. The biggest surprise was how the car pulled me around when I put 2 in the dirt. It is easier to drive under poor traction conditions.

As far as daily driving, it doesn't seem to effect it much. Noises are quieter than quaife. It howls a tiny bit when i break 475 lbs torque range on my e85 map but zero slippage or problems of any kind. I got almost 2k miles now at this power level on the diff and it just hooks up at the end of the day...

Hope that helps. This thing is staying in my car...

Last edited by gt40; May 19, 2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old May 19, 2009, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

FWIW, I bought one and its in my car. Its much less aggressive feeling than the Cusco unit I had last summer, but I'm not sure how much more aggressive it is than the stocker, as I made huge changes to the car in the off season.

Dave
Old May 19, 2009, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
FWIW, I bought one and its in my car. Its much less aggressive feeling than the Cusco unit I had last summer, but I'm not sure how much more aggressive it is than the stocker, as I made huge changes to the car in the off season.

Dave
Yeah, it distributes the power so smooth it isn't the drama queen in the noises and abrupt changes in power distribution like some other diffs. Let me know if you run faster. I think you can go faster with smoother power delivery transitions...
Old May 20, 2009, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gt40
Yeah, it distributes the power so smooth it isn't the drama queen in the noises and abrupt changes in power distribution like some other diffs. Let me know if you run faster. I think you can go faster with smoother power delivery transitions...
Smoother engagement is definately preferable, I'm just concerned that the locking values from the diff aren't anywhere near what the Cusco was capable of.

Nothing like that ratchet sound and popping felt thru the steering wheel to let you know its working.

Dave
Old Sep 30, 2009, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

bump so more people can talk about this... anybody have this ALONG with the acd reflashes now available??

Quick Reply: Testing new Wavetrac front Diff...