evolutionm.net - Home of the Lancer Evolution
Home Features Community Marketplace Registry Garage Store

Go Back   evolutionm.net > Lancer Evolution 1-9 Forums > Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsGarageVendor Directory TSB & Recalls
Search


Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
Sponsored by: World Racing

Welcome to EvolutionM.net!
Welcome to EvolutionM.net.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 1, 2008, 05:53 PM   #1
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (4)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Raistlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 562

Drives: 2003 Evo VIII, 2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

Question K&N vs. Amsoil oil filter

Sorry if this has been asked before or if it is the wrong forum.
But I am looking for a comparison on the K&N oil filter vs. the Amsoil oil filter. Also any other evo driverís opinion on this would be nice as well.

I am new to the evo (only had it about a month) and will be using Amsoil because of what I have read on the forums so far. I am not seeing very much comparison wise as far as K&N filter vs. the Amsoil filter goes though. I have used the K&N filters in the past and loved them but if the Amsoil filter is better I would rather use it, though I will miss the nut at the bottom of the K&N filter if I change.

Thanks
Raist
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Account Disabled
Personal Sales Rating: (34)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryville, TN
Posts: 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before or if it is the wrong forum.
But I am looking for a comparison on the K&N oil filter vs. the Amsoil oil filter. Also any other evo driverís opinion on this would be nice as well.

I am new to the evo (only had it about a month) and will be using Amsoil because of what I have read on the forums so far. I am not seeing very much comparison wise as far as K&N filter vs. the Amsoil filter goes though. I have used the K&N filters in the past and loved them but if the Amsoil filter is better I would rather use it, though I will miss the nut at the bottom of the K&N filter if I change.

Thanks
Raist
The AMSOIL EA Series Filters are the best filter you can buy. They are conservatively rated at 15 Micron Absolute. No other filter comes close. This is due to the Patented Nano-Fiber Technology used from Donaldson.

The K&N is advertised at 20 Micron which may be so but seems to have a problem with particle retention. We have seen many of the filters cut apart after use and the media appears to be clean. The current conclusion is that it is due to the media used in the filters which is a compressed cellulose.... What happens when you compress paper fibers ????

I had verbal confirmation from a company that tested the Donaldson Media and the K&N on both Micron Ratings and Particulate retention that verified this..

If you are going to track your car at all, I will recommend the WIX 57092

Doc
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 06:52 PM   #3
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (4)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Raistlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 562

Drives: 2003 Evo VIII, 2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

Sweet thanks for the explanation Oil Doc.

No tracking this car, the only track around here is a drag strip. Not ready to take my Evo there yet.

BTW I thought the K&N filter did not have paper in it? Guess I was told wrong. Thanks again though I was going to U2U you about this but figured I had bugged you enough lately.

Raist
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 07:00 PM   #4
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (4)
Garage is empty, add now
 
holler mcdollar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ne phila
Posts: 522

Drives: '05 tb ssl viii

what's wrong with mitsubishi filters...?
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 05:18 AM   #5
Account Disabled
Personal Sales Rating: (34)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryville, TN
Posts: 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
Sweet thanks for the explanation Oil Doc.

No tracking this car, the only track around here is a drag strip. Not ready to take my Evo there yet.

BTW I thought the K&N filter did not have paper in it? Guess I was told wrong. Thanks again though I was going to U2U you about this but figured I had bugged you enough lately.

Raist
Compressed Cellulose is the Media in K&N


Quote:
Originally Posted by holler mcdollar View Post
what's wrong with mitsubishi filters...?
Well, they are better than a Fram... But why not use at least a Better or the best filter for your application ?

Oil is the Lifeblood of your engine, why not keep it as clean as possible ?

Doc
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 01:20 PM   #6
G20
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (13)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 965

Drives: GG VIII MR

^^So are you implying that both K&N and AMSoil are better than the Mobil-1 filter?
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 01:49 PM   #7
Account Disabled
Personal Sales Rating: (34)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryville, TN
Posts: 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by G20 View Post
^^So are you implying that both K&N and AMSoil are better than the Mobil-1 filter?

Not me.... My Order of preference for filters is AMSOIL.... there is not a better filter on the market., WIX, Mobil 1, and then I would go to a Pure 1..

This is based both on Filter Capture Efficiency and construction combined... with a give and take...

The Mobil 1 has a good Micron Rating but, has a stamped steel bypass spring so I rate it behind the WIX due to construction..


Doc
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 03:05 PM   #8
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (16)
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
 
AznEvoIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 870

Drives: '06 RR Evo IX MR

Hrmm.... I have no idea WTF Oil Doc just said....

Where the hell did my dictionary go.... screw it... Dictionary.Com FTW. XD
__________________
2006 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution IX MR - "EVO 9" (323 HP / 303 TQ)
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 03:27 PM   #9
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (5)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 318

Drives: 06 GG MR, 92 TSI AWD

I cut open a mitsu oil filter a few weeks ago. They are really cheap looking inside. Purolator looks 10X better to me.

I know a lot of people are going to flip out about this, but.... there's way too much emphasis on oil filters IMO. As crappy as frams are, I used them for 160k miles in my dsm and then switched to Purolator. At 250k I had the oil pan off and looked at the main bearings- they looked like brand new. This is with 3500 mi oil changes. IMO as long as the filter doesn't implode or explode, even the cheap crappy filter media is good enough from what I've seen for normal highway use and normal change intervals
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 04:26 PM   #10
Account Disabled
Personal Sales Rating: (34)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryville, TN
Posts: 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
I cut open a mitsu oil filter a few weeks ago. They are really cheap looking inside. Purolator looks 10X better to me.

I know a lot of people are going to flip out about this, but.... there's way too much emphasis on oil filters IMO. As crappy as frams are, I used them for 160k miles in my dsm and then switched to Purolator. At 250k I had the oil pan off and looked at the main bearings- they looked like brand new. This is with 3500 mi oil changes. IMO as long as the filter doesn't implode or explode, even the cheap crappy filter media is good enough from what I've seen for normal highway use and normal change intervals

I will agree with you on the Mits Filter...

Not so much on the reason to run a quality filter... I have seen Fram filter implode and cause puked engines and I have seen holes in the media of Frams close to 1/8 of an inch.

I have also seen filter cans seperate from the Base Plate and have seen filter rot off or the cans are so thin that they crush with minimal force when you are trying to take them off.. This goes to the quality of construction and materials used.

I have been inside of many engines and have never seen bearings that look "new" except for a couple that let loose with only a few miles on them. They can look good but will usually have scuff marks and scratches in them. The scratches are from particulate. Even if they looked good, if you didn't Plast-Guage them, they could have been sanded.

Filters are rated for Micron and Flow among other things and for what we are talking about in this instance, we will concentrate on Micron Ratings...

The human eye can see to approximately 40 Micron, so we are talking some pretty small particle here. A Fram will have a Nominal Micron Rating around 33-40 depending on the filter.. A WIX for the Evo has a Micron Rating of 19... These are Nominal Ratings (50%) In Comparison, the AMSOIL EA Series is the Best filter you can buy, conservatively rated at 15 Micron Absolute.

Now, for where this is going..... 65% of wear caused by dirt in an engine, is caused by Particles in the 5-25 Micron range..

250K is nothing on a well maintained engine... I have 345,000 miles on my very abused work van with 25,000-35,000 mile oil changes using AMSOIL and AMSOIL Filters..

Doc
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 05:33 PM   #11
BGR
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (13)
Garage is empty, add now
 
BGR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 125

Drives: Evo IX MR

Doc, I have so much respect for you knowledge and I know you are somewhat bias since you represent Amsoil and you trully believe in their products, but I have also heard good things about Mobil 1. I know its your closest competitor, so what do you think of their oil filter and oil in general. Also, when is Amsoil going to break public and have their products widely available at local auto part stores? I would love to try some Amsoil oil/filters but I just don't have the time to deal with ordering, shipping, etc...
As always, thanks for you input and knowledge!
__________________
2006 Evolution IX MR
347whp/326wtq/22psi
DynoJet/AWDmotorsports
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 05:50 PM   #12
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (6)
Garage is empty, add now
 
kouzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,261

Drives: 09 997 Carrera, 11 Cooper S, 11 Grand Cherokee

Send a message via AIM to kouzman Send a message via Yahoo to kouzman
oil doc:

Whats the Amsoil part code for the EVO IX oil filter?

I might get some along with new oil during the summer when i rebuild my engine.
__________________
Powered by Buschur Racing / built by theshopct
best ET to date: 10.800 @ 133.3 w/ 1.72 60ft
best trap to date 134.4mph on straight 93 octane
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 07:31 PM   #13
Account Disabled
Personal Sales Rating: (34)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryville, TN
Posts: 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
Doc, I have so much respect for you knowledge and I know you are somewhat bias since you represent Amsoil and you trully believe in their products, but I have also heard good things about Mobil 1. I know its your closest competitor, so what do you think of their oil filter and oil in general. Also, when is Amsoil going to break public and have their products widely available at local auto part stores? I would love to try some Amsoil oil/filters but I just don't have the time to deal with ordering, shipping, etc...
As always, thanks for you input and knowledge!
Bias ? Maybe, but if I thought Mobil 1 or any other Product was better, I'd sell it...

I always say that Mobil 1 EP is a very good product and if AMSOIL was not available, that is what I would use. As far as the Mobil 1 Filter, it is a good filter, but personally I give it a lower rating than the WIX due to construction,materials used... No other filter competes with the AMSOIL EA Series, it IS the Best filter you can buy, bar none.

An auto parts store can carry AMSOIL if they so choose, I have many along with Auto Dealerships and MotorCycle Shops, there are some restrictions/requirements.

Why you would want to pay Retail prices, I don't know. A phone call and product delivered on your doorstep seems more convenient, less time consuming and less costly than the Retail store.

Going Public ? AMSOIL is a Dealer Based company and there are no plans that I am aware of to be anything else. As for my understanding, it is in Al's Will that the company is to remain that way for a fairly long time after he passes.

How would you feel if you were a Dealer and AMSOIL said, We are going into Retail Stores Direct and all 80,000 + of you Dealers are out of business today...??

One of the things that I like about the company is that they always look out for the Dealer...

Several years ago, AMSOIL received a call from Wal-Mart. The conversation went a little like this..... This is Wal-Mart and we would like to put your Products in our Stores, (AMS) Great ! We will give you the contact of a Dealer in your area.. (WM) This is Wal-Mart, we only buy Direct. (AMS) This is AMSOIL and we only sell through Dealers...

The Estimated first order for Wal-Mart was over $40 Million... They said no to protect the Dealers that built the company...

Doc
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 07:32 PM   #14
Account Disabled
Personal Sales Rating: (34)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryville, TN
Posts: 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouzman View Post
oil doc:

Whats the Amsoil part code for the EVO IX oil filter?

I might get some along with new oil during the summer when i rebuild my engine.


EAO-46 is the AMSOIL Filter....

57092 is the WIX Filter


Doc
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 07:41 PM   #15
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (4)
Garage is empty, add now
 
ohsobaked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: las vegas
Posts: 167

Drives: evo 8

so where can i get these amsoil filters...i been using mitsu filters forever and now i feel terrible inside..
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 07:41 PM
EvolutionM
Mitsubishi Lancer




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
amsoil, comparison, eao13, eao46, evo, evolution, filter, filters, imo, kn, mitsubishi, mobil, oil, vs, wix

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


 









All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All Passwords