Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

PCV valve is Best place to catch oil

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2008, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the cheapest I've found but I don't know if it opens up so I can put some oil catching media in it.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good thread, there is the PVC check valve side which sends pressure, one way, into combustion only in vacuum. Then there's the ventilation side which routes the fumes into the charge downstream MAF (closed system under boost), but under vacuum pulls MAF metered air back into sump to be sent through PVC side.

I have to replace oil absorbant material on the PVC catch weekly, but the cold air side stays clean.

It's the most unusual thing, I think, is to see a layout with a catch on the ventilation side only. If you are catching oil there and the PVC check valve isn't blocked then maybe there's compression, valve, and/or blowby problems.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saikou Michi is a real cool dood. he made a custom catch can with chambers and baffles for me almost two years ago. the workmanship is top notch and the price is awesome
Old Mar 26, 2008, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joseph k
Saikou Michi is a real cool dood. he made a custom catch can with chambers and baffles for me almost two years ago. the workmanship is top notch and the price is awesome

I second that

i also have a DC3 catch can ..
nice piece and works well
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:26 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ya ocasional oil get threw the vent side, it good idea to use a catch can to stop oil from getting into your intake tract. PCV I empty out every week. I got a really small catch can on that PCV side, thats why i empty it so often. it colect a spoon full every 3 days or so.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Holy thread explosion.
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
For a while now I kept thinking why even run pcv closed systems? We could just run two breathers and let blow by gasses vent to the atmosphere. Heck most people drive without any catalytic converters when they mod their cars, how much more damage will the pcv do...
But after doing some more searching online, I foun that it is actually pretty important in ventilating under the valve cover.
http://filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/94-2R1.html
So pluging that side will stop the needed ventilation.
Here is another good read:
http://www.answers.com/topic/pcv-valve
Exactly what I was trying to tell the OP.
To the guy who said "if catch cans are so great they would have come stock":
Have you ever actually looked inside your intake pipe? If you do, see all that oil residue in there? Over time, it can get all over much more of the intake tract, including the compressor, IC pipes, and IC core. If this becomes bad enough, it can contribute to heat retention and loss of cooling efficiency, and is crap going into your engine.
Besides, how do you think the average consumer is going to react when his owners manual says "oil catch tank will fill up, this is normal. just empty it at every oil change?"

To those interested in the eBay cans, you may also want to consider this option for even less money:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=255949
I KNOW the writeup doesn't address the PCV side, but it's just a reference for the can and you can use it however you please.

Last edited by hokiruu; Mar 26, 2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

I plan on using your guide and buying the same stuff you did but I'm going to do 2 cc's.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting observation about the billet aluminum ebay cans. Cold weather causes a lot of condinsation in these solid billet cans and I have found a good amount of water in them during the winter. I know it is time to drain them when suddenly there is smoke coming from my tailpipe. Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened. It turned out to be a 95% water and 5% oil being sucked right out of the can. Makes me think that I should cap the line to the intake and put a breather on the can from the valve cover instead. Someone told me to drill a whole in the top of the can and put a breather there and keep the line on the intake. Since I run a MAF I don't think that is a good idea since it would allow unmetered air into the system and potenitally lean out the tune somewhat. Probably fine for a speed density car though.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

pcv valves do not dump back into the crankcase. they dump oil into the intake manifold. the pcv valve is closed when under heavy boost, the pcv is also closed under full vacuum. the pcv only opens when the crankcase has slight pressure to push against the internal spring, but not enough pressure to push it all the way closed. this keeps the presssure in the crankcase low so you do not push the pressure built up out all of the seals such as the front and rear main seals..... the breather will vent the crank case gases to the suction side of the turbo when there is enough pressure to block the pcv. the breather also introduces fresh air into the crankcase, so dont leave it open. use a filter or catch can
Old Mar 26, 2008, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting. Good to know EvoTech, now we won't all panic and think our HGs are blown or something.
Yeah, putting a breather on the can sounds like a bad idea. Then what would be the point of having the line plumbed back into the intake tube? None that I can think of, plus the unmetered air issue you mentioned.
There were some more interesting breather setup ideas and experiences in the "discuss here" thread off of my catch tank how-to.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evosean
pcv valves do not dump back into the crankcase. they dump oil into the intake manifold. the pcv valve is closed when under heavy boost, the pcv is also closed under full vacuum. the pcv only opens when the crankcase has slight pressure to push against the internal spring, but not enough pressure to push it all the way closed. this keeps the presssure in the crankcase low so you do not push the pressure built up out all of the seals such as the front and rear main seals..... the breather will vent the crank case gases to the suction side of the turbo when there is enough pressure to block the pcv. the breather also introduces fresh air into the crankcase, so dont leave it open. use a filter or catch can
Thanks for clearing that up!
Old Mar 26, 2008, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Can someone explain to me why not just use a $5 breather filter? (i'm talking about the brether side, not pcv obviousely)
Old Mar 26, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by tk2481
well like i always say if catch cans are so great then they would come stock.Thats why ill leave mine alone.

They dont come stock because consumers will forget to empty it before it over fills and spills etc...
Old Mar 26, 2008, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by mplspilot
Can someone explain to me why not just use a $5 breather filter? (i'm talking about the brether side, not pcv obviousely)
STOCK

Breather on valve cover and intake pipe capped. (I think should not affect anything)

As you can see, the stock system pulls in air into the valve cover from the intake pipe. (The portion that already registered after the maf sensor) If you put a breather, then the air being pulled under the valve cover will be from the atmosphere not metered by the maf sensor. This is why it is a bad idea to run a breather, because you will be pulling unmetered air.

You want the pull in metered air to avoid idle issues, or stalling issues etc....
Old Mar 26, 2008, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

You are partially right. The air gets pulled at light vacuum.
At boost however gases are pushed out from the breather and into the intake pipe.

Quick Reply: PCV valve is Best place to catch oil