Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

solution to exedy single clutch chatter?!?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2007, 01:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
solution to exedy single clutch chatter?!?

Is there anything possible that can be done to stop the exedy single cerametallic disc from chattering so much? getting into first gear is driving me insane!! It shakes the car and makes all kinds of noises going into first. Its making me dread getting into my car every day. ive adjusted the pedal to sit higher and nothing. the first time i adjusted it higher it felt great, but that lasted one night. please any info will help. Its pretty bad when you have an evo but you choose to ride in other peoples cars because yours drives like s***.

sorry, months and months of slipping into first is just building up. other than first gear the clutch is good, shifts good and launches hard.

thanks

Last edited by diiirk@AwdMotorsports; Nov 9, 2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

How many miles do you have on the clutch?
Old Nov 9, 2007, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its a 4 puck clutch ? Engagement is always going to be rough. Well more rough than stock. I dont run a puck so i cant tell you personally but thats the consensus on puck clutches.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 01:13 PM

I have the same issue with my Cusco Twin. You just need to get used to it man - it does sound horrible though.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 01:15 PM
Former Sponsor

id say 15-20k miles. its been like this for as long as i can remember. But i do remember the first few months with the clutch it was fine, no chatter engaged good going into first. ive 5th gear tested it for slippage and i get none. im just wondering if anyone has figured out any little tricks to make it drive better.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 01:21 PM

man after re-reading your op it kinda sounds like an issue that recently came up with my car. I have been reading up on it and from what I got out of it it sounds like it may be the fluid that was used when i changed my clutch - redline fluid.
When you are engaging first gear does it just shake the car and make a horrible howling noise? Sounds weird not like typical clutch chatter.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 01:30 PM
Former Sponsor

it chatters and shakes the car which causes a noise. I can only describe the noise as "chatter." Then sometimes when i try giving it more gas and feather it out i get a different noise, somtething like "sandpaper on concrete" maybe. hah its kinda hard to put noises into words. The only time i get a howl is occasionaly when i downshift without rev matching. that doesnt bother me.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

It's how the clutch is and the friction plate material. It's not going to be as quiete as stock cuz it's not an organic plate clutch. It'll grab more and more noise when egaging, not much you can do really.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 12:49 AM
Evolving Member

yea mine sounds the same. real rough to drive in stop-and-go shakes the whole car like an earthquake, i also get the "sandpaper on concrete" sound and feeling when i feather it, which i try not to do so much since it's probably causing a lot more wear. anyways just learn to live with it, you appreciate having a clutch like that when it grabs like a mother****er whenever you need it to
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Try reving a little higher and then as the plates come into contact maintain Progressive release of clutch pedal. Try to never let the left foot stay still within the engagement zone. I have the exedy twin and if I try to do a relaxed street start then I get this rattle, judder business. I think they call the technique I am referring to a quick slip, not sure though. Basically, just always drive sporty style.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

You pretty much have to launch ur car at 3k sometimes to get it to engage smoothly, theres just so much friction comming from the plates it's hard to treat it like an orangic clutch.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The engagement and noises sound typical for a puck style clutch.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 02:10 PM

It's fine that's something you have to live with when you have a performance clutch. If it slips really bad then you have something to worry about.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 08:24 AM
Former Sponsor

I understand that these issues are common with puck clutches, and it is a pain in the ***. But can this chatter, studder, shaking, whatever you wanna call it, cause damage to the tranny. Cuz everytime i feel it, i think im killing my tranny.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

Ttt, plus 1. Anybody?

Quick Reply: solution to exedy single clutch chatter?!?