Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Project FQ-400

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2007, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project FQ-400

So I bought a 2006 Evo MR SE in Apex Silver (yes I know, the color isn't the most rare thing in the world). However the MR SE isn't easy to come across, so I'm happy that I received that package interior with the shiny wheels.

The car is (as anyone would say that has driven one) amazing, it really makes you wonder if you want to tamper with anything at all. It's almost as if you may throw off the perfectly balanced machine that it is.

Well, getting to the point; if you are reading this, you obviously have some sort of knowledge of the FQ-400, and how it can bash a Lamborghini Murcielago around tracks. (See this video of TopGear on Youtube "click here")

My idea is to create a car as fast, and 'more' reliable (without the incremental 5k miles service).

I am deciding to start with the power. (I should probably start with brakes, then suspension, then the power and weight. However, you know how thirsty you can become when you are in a machine like an Evo).

I will be tuning this car on my own (no prior experience) and am going about it according to this thread: "click here" As for installing parts, I'll be doing all of that on my own as well.

Theoretically, the FQ-400 must be pushing not much more than 350-360hp to the wheels since the 400-405hp is claimed from the factory, and that number usually means that that is what it produces to the flywheel.

Taking that fact, and taking the fact that my good friend with an Evo 8 is pushing 320whp after light mods, makes me believe achieving this horsepower will be the easy part. The following parts that I have installed/purchased below, supposedly will produce more than enough power to get the Evo 9 up to 350-360whp. At that point, I'd begin to wonder if the Turbo will hold up for a long time or not.

So here is the break down of the parts so far.

Currently installed:

To be installed (sitting in garage):

Ordered (coming in soon):
  • Carbon Fiber Dash kit for 3 relocated gauges w/radio relocate to lower.
  • STRI Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Water Temp gauges.
  • USB to Serial adapter for the tactrix Evo cable for tuning.

Are there any corners that I may be cutting? Or any things I may have made a mistake on? Any ideas that you guys may think is necessary? Or would this be good enough for 360ish whp?

I'm open to anything, good or bad, its still feedback. Thank you for your time!

-M

Last edited by MagicManRed; Dec 4, 2007 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Update
Old Dec 2, 2007, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
if your going to claim its an fq-400 project then you need to put on ONLY OEM MITSU FQ-400 PARTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

otherwise your just making an evo like everyone else's and its not special.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

wow man..... good luck with all that.... if you mess up.. call iveytune!
Old Dec 2, 2007, 11:10 PM
Account Disabled

Just stick the FQ-400 badge on it and call it a day.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Ditch the cat and put a test-pipe on it, please promise me that...? and I agree, if you are wanting it to be a FQ then put only FQ parts on it.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 01:07 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
all you need to see 350-360 whp on a dyno jet with a ix...

bolts on + cams + tune

the stock ix diverter valve is fine leave that alone

and if you really want to push the power envelope you best bet would be alky injection
Old Dec 3, 2007, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

You're also gonna need an Evo8 front bumper since they never made an Evo9 FQ400
Old Dec 3, 2007, 02:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sell the Perrin 50/50 BOV and stick with your original 100% recirculating stock MR metal DV. Get a set of aftermarket MIVEC cams. Get a testpipe instead of the convertor. Do Alky injection as well. Drive the car down to Sean Ivey and have him tune it for you.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here ya go

Lancer Evolution VIII MR FQ400 parts list:

* Custom built Garrett GT Dual Ball bearing Turbocharger
* Owen Developments custom manufactured cast Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold and Exhaust Elbow
* Omega Forged Pistons
* HKS Forged Con Rods
* HKS 680cc Injectors
* Zytec ITP116 High Pressure Fuel Pump
* HKS 1.6 mm Steel Head Gasket
* Motec M800 OEM ECU
* HKS Iridium Spark Plugs
* Jan Speed High Flow Sports Cat
* Alcon competition derived 240 mm high clamp mode, heavy duty clutch complete with Cera-metallic 6 paddle sprung centred drive plate
* HKS High Strength Head and Big End Bolts
* Alcon Mono6 Brake Kit incorporating Monobloc 6 pot road caliper with 343 mm curved vein Disc on a Aluminium mounting bell assembly with Ferodo DS2500 brake pads
* Ralliart Aero Mirrors
* Carbon Fibre Front Lip Spoiler
* Carbon Fibre "Sharks Tooth" Rear Vortex Generator
* PIAA High Performance Light and Wiper Upgrade
* Gloss Black Team Dynamics Lightweight Alloy Wheels
Old Dec 3, 2007, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3volut1on
Here ya go

Lancer Evolution VIII MR FQ400 parts list:

* Custom built Garrett GT Dual Ball bearing Turbocharger
* Owen Developments custom manufactured cast Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold and Exhaust Elbow
* Omega Forged Pistons
* HKS Forged Con Rods
* HKS 680cc Injectors
* Zytec ITP116 High Pressure Fuel Pump
* HKS 1.6 mm Steel Head Gasket
* Motec M800 OEM ECU
* HKS Iridium Spark Plugs
* Jan Speed High Flow Sports Cat
* Alcon competition derived 240 mm high clamp mode, heavy duty clutch complete with Cera-metallic 6 paddle sprung centred drive plate
* HKS High Strength Head and Big End Bolts
* Alcon Mono6 Brake Kit incorporating Monobloc 6 pot road caliper with 343 mm curved vein Disc on a Aluminium mounting bell assembly with Ferodo DS2500 brake pads
* Ralliart Aero Mirrors
* Carbon Fibre Front Lip Spoiler
* Carbon Fibre "Sharks Tooth" Rear Vortex Generator
* PIAA High Performance Light and Wiper Upgrade
* Gloss Black Team Dynamics Lightweight Alloy Wheels

All I hear is a cash register going "Duh-Ching!" "Duh-Ching!"

And its DUH, not CHA-CHING in this case because with the wide variety of dometics, ultra high quality parts in the US and UK, it'd be crazy to spend the money on those parts. Good? Yes. Bought ON an FQ400 WITH a warranty? better

Spend that kind of money on domestic stuff, and you'll be kicking butt in no time.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

You'll also need SAYC. Also why not just make an Evo that fit's your tastes and Budget and not copy off another Evo.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

good luck....
Old Dec 3, 2007, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slicedbreadno2
Also why not just make an Evo that fit's your tastes and Budget and not copy off another Evo.
Maybe his taste is the FQ-400.

I think what he's trying to do is just get the performance of an FQ-400 (power, handling & braking). I don't think he trying to build a USDM FQ-400. He's just using the FQ-400 as the base or for reference.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

this looks like a fully thought out plan and well put together. good luck and keep everybody updated
Old Dec 3, 2007, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You can match the power of the FQ400 on the same dyno and its 30-130mph acceleration and have a much wider power band by simply remapping a IX with an exhaust and working the stock airbox.

The best FQ model kept standard is the IX FQ360 because it has a much wider power band than the FQ400. Engine mods are basically a reflash, exhaust with high flow cat, fuel pump, intercooler and turbo inlet pipes. The boost really drops at the top end, if you hold it up it makes FQ400 power again with much more flexibility.

Use US sourced parts, do it cheaper, do it better, don't copy expensive UK models. The FQ360 costs $72500 here, and apart from S-AYC and a few small electronic differences it is like your IX with bolt ons that are easily beaten.

If using FQ400 type parts you should be able to get +100 BHP up on its peak power with reliability and similar power band.

Quick Reply: Project FQ-400