Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Jet-Hot - Not Recommended

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2006, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Jet-Hot 1300 Degree Coating - Not Recommended

Just a heads-up so you guys/gals don't waste your time and money: I had my Megan SS headers ceramic coated by Jet Hot (1300 degree silver coating) and they started cracking and peeling after 2 weeks. Yeah they have a lifetime warranty, and I'm going to take them up on it, but it's a pain to swap them out, and what good is getting the same coating again if it's just going to crack in 2 weeks.

BTW, I'm running rich. (cold)

*EDIT* For the purposes of saving someone else the hassle, this applies to the 1300 degree coating. There are people on here who say the 1300 degree coating worked for them, it did not for me. Jet Hot's website says nothing (at the time of this writing) about turbo-specific applications, and they were aware that the part was going on a turbo-charged engine.

Last edited by Killboy; Dec 7, 2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

when i did my senior year project for undergrad on quasicrystals in the late 90s, amazing thermal barrier. Back then, we had Ames lab @ Iowa state u plasma spray the stuff on for us. Wonder if anyone does it commercially now
Old Dec 5, 2006, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was told 1300F won't cut it due to the immense heat from being turbocharged. 2000F is def. the way to go.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

most of these "coatings" are painted on, sprayed on or dipped. Over time, interface delamination occurs and the film spalls off
Old Dec 5, 2006, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluebanana23
I was told 1300F won't cut it due to the immense heat from being turbocharged. 2000F is def. the way to go.
I can understand that line of thought for parts AFTER the turbo, or the turbo itself, but I don't see how the header would get any hotter on a turbo-charged application than the header does on a non-turbo application.

Either way, they were aware that the part was going on a turbo-charged engine and did not say anything about the coating being insufficient.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SlowCar
most of these "coatings" are painted on, sprayed on or dipped. Over time, interface delamination occurs and the film spalls off
In this case, the time being 2 weeks.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

its a science by itself to get a film to "stick" to a part under punishing conditions of rapid heating/cooling - stresses generated, rain........

good surface prep is of utmost importance, sand blasting to roughen to create "anchoring points"...grease free to lessen formations of brittle carbide phases.......not easy

Last edited by SlowCar; Dec 5, 2006 at 02:04 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 02:04 PM

900C or 1650F are not uncommon EGTs (as read in the manifold) for turbo cars at WOT.

Just make sure they put the higher temp coating on and you should be fine. People have been using Jet Hot on parts very successfully for many, many years. Sometimes mistakes happen. As long as they take care of you, I wouldn't say that Jet Hot coating aren't recommended.

D
Old Dec 5, 2006, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

its a science by itself to get a film to "stick" to a part under punishing conditions of rapid heating/cooling - stresses generated, rain........

good surface prep is of utmost importance, sand blasting to roughen to create "anchoring points"...grease free to lessen formations of brittle carbide phases.......not easy
agree 100%
Old Dec 5, 2006, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
when i did my senior year project for undergrad on quasicrystals in the late 90s, amazing thermal barrier. Back then, we had Ames lab @ Iowa state u plasma spray the stuff on for us. Wonder if anyone does it commercially now
The DOE (department of energy) has been writing some papers on this subject:

Quote from paper: New quasicrystalline materials
capable of being sprayed using a high-velocity
oxygen-fuel (HVOF) process that produces denser
coatings with higher bond strengths.

I have also heard that they have done testing of this stuff on jet engine components. so might be awhile for the automotive world....

+1 on the 2000F+ coating and prep.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

You chose the wrong coating my friend so blame yourself. The manifold sees over 900 degrees during WOT. Jet-Hot probly Will Not warranty it due to it being a turbocharged header. They specifically recommend the Jet-Hot 2000 for all turbocharged exhaust parts.

I've had Jet-Hot on two different downpipes and currently have it on my AMS setup and it's the shizzle. No cracking, chipping or fading. And it's Jet-Hot 2000.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BiFfMaN
The DOE (department of energy) has been writing some papers on this subject:

Quote from paper: New quasicrystalline materials
capable of being sprayed using a high-velocity
oxygen-fuel (HVOF) process that produces denser
coatings with higher bond strengths.

I have also heard that they have done testing of this stuff on jet engine components. so might be awhile for the automotive world....

+1 on the 2000F+ coating and prep.
kinetic energy does wonders, promotes implantation/compound formation/film densification thats essential for interface adhesion
Old Dec 5, 2006, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
You chose the wrong coating my friend so blame yourself.
Sorry to break it to ya, my friend, but there is NO mention of turbo application specifics on their "Coating Selector" page, or any of their pages that I can see.

Like I said, they were aware of the turbo application, and they recommended the coating I got. I even sand-blasted the part.

I'm glad their other coatings worked for you. It's too bad my experience offends you to the point you have to whip out the attitude. You could have just stated your experience without the back-handed remarks.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry you got butt-hurt from my comments...good luck with your warranty.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Has anybody used the company QC Coatings?

Quick Reply: Jet-Hot - Not Recommended