Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Aftermarket Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2003, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just bumping this, because I'm getting a lot of pm's from people asking for this info.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

emulous: how much was the new stalk that you have on order?
Old Sep 17, 2003, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Just curious, but what was the cost of this unit and how much estimated for install? 375.00 include the install?
Old Sep 17, 2003, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

The cost of the new stalk was $50.00, however the shop gave me a credit for the old stalk, so in essence, it was $25.00 more. The clutch relay (to disengage the cruise control when you step on the clutch) was $25.00 - $30.00, I don't remember which.

Here are the new pics:

So the original install was $375 that included installation and all the parts.

The current set up (with the new stalk and clutch relay) should not cost more than $450 installed, probably less because all the labor would be done at once.

The new stalk required changes to the settings on the control box pictured in my previous posts. With the new settings, I get much more accurate controll with the settings, (i.e., setting the speed, stepping on the brake pedal, etc.) There is a slight surge maybe 500-1K rpm when you try to disengage using the clutch, otherwise everything works perfectly, and a lot better than than the system used in the regular lancer's. The new stalk also has a little green light that comes on when you turn the cruise control on, which is kinda nice, especially since I try to turn it off when I leave the car, just so nothing funky happens with the turbo timer on, otherwise it will just turn off when the car is turned off (it doesn't come back on when you turn the car back on).

If you want it to look more OE, than just order the stalk theat installs on the right side of the steering wheel.

Anymore questions, just let me know.

Last edited by emulous; Mar 30, 2004 at 05:58 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 08:22 PM

**edit: erased**

Last edited by inu-sama; Jan 23, 2005 at 07:18 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 08:41 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
why would you want a cruise controller? I have one, I don't ever use it. That's never.

it's just in the way.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 01:12 PM

Personally, I live in the mountain west, where we take interstates to go anywhere. Plus, I've driven cross country in the Evo. In both cases, cruise come in handy.
Plokivos, which setup do you have?
I've also heard from rally racers that use it on transit stages, both so they can relax and so their mindset to speed doesn't get the better of them.

Overload in Colorado
Old Dec 30, 2004, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
why would you want a cruise controller? I have one, I don't ever use it. That's never.

it's just in the way.

yep, nobody in the whole world should want cruise control because you never use it...

I don't think there are any JDM sports cars with cruise control. I know the evo doesn't have it.
I think MOST JDM sports cars have cruise control... the 350z, Rx8, Skyline, STI, FD, Supra, Z32, VR4, NSX, CTR, ITR, and I THINK the Miata all have it. The only other "sporty" JDM car that I can think of that doesn't have cruise control for sure is the mazdaspeed protege.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 01:47 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Evoandy
yep, nobody in the whole world should want cruise control because you never use it...

I think MOST JDM sports cars have cruise control... the 350z, Rx8, Skyline, STI, FD, Supra, Z32, VR4, NSX, CTR, ITR, and I THINK the Miata all have it. The only other "sporty" JDM car that I can think of that doesn't have cruise control for sure is the mazdaspeed protege.
Do you have a cruise control? if not, shut up.

It's not really just me, we had this discussion a while back and most owners who have this rarely ever use it.

and yes, nobody should get this because I NEVER USE IT! umhahahaha.

my highway cruising control is right at when the boost spools up, it gets annoying after a while when you hit hills and curves in the highway then you have to adjust it and the cruise control tries to adjust the speed, and the boost kicks in and it's not like your old n/a car cruise control.

it'll jerk forward and back.

but whatever, it's your car, it's your money.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 05:31 PM

Last edited by inu-sama; Jan 23, 2005 at 07:19 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 06:29 PM
Account Disabled

mines that, but around 80mph is just at 3000rpm +/-

you see the point.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:17 AM

Last edited by inu-sama; Jan 23, 2005 at 07:19 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 09:24 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad to hear that somebody is enjoying their aftermarket cruise, thanks for the info

The tach wire must be grounded and even though the instructions say to set the settings on the control box to high for four cylinders, well it doesn't work in the EVO, make the settings to low and all will work well.
That could be because of our coil setup.

relay was $25-30
You should be able to pick up a regular old relay to do this for $5 or so. I'm not sure how our evo clutch switch works, but if it works the same as the brakes (grounded when pedal down) then you can just use a diode on each of the output wires on the brake and clutch. I believe since we can just disconnect the clutch switch that it is grounded at rest, so you would just set up a relay that is naturally closed (or connected at rest). That way when you push in the clutch the relay releases its ground and closes the switch to the cruise control.

Also, while searching for info about cruise control I ran across alot of stuff that said the australian and UK evos DID in fact have cruise... boo again to US market!

Last edited by fostytou; Jan 8, 2007 at 09:28 AM.