Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

prime new turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2007, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
prime new turbo?

After installing a new turbo, and before initial startup, is it necessary to prime the turbo oil feed line with motor oil to avoid damage to the turbo's bearings?

If so, how does one go about priming the new turbo's oil lines with oil? Anyway, I installed my new Green, but only clicked the ignition key several times until the oil warning light on the dash went out. Was this enough, or is there a better way to do this?
Old Apr 6, 2007, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was told to remove your intake and hold the nut on the turbo prior to starting it so oil is pressurized in the turbo but the blades dont spin..

Please correct me if im wrong someone..
Old Apr 6, 2007, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

i always just pour a little oil in the oil inlet when i put the turbo on and disable ignition and crank the engine over a few times to get more oil in there...then start it up.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:50 PM
bao
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zlancer
i always just pour a little oil in the oil inlet when i put the turbo on and disable ignition and crank the engine over a few times to get more oil in there...then start it up.
sorry for being noobish but how do you disable ignition?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bao
sorry for being noobish but how do you disable ignition?
Unplug the Crank Angle Sensor.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

I poured a little lucus Oil Stabalizer in mine...http://rustychoppers.com/store/image...Stabilizer.jpg
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, Drifto, but you are a self acknowledged Meth addict!
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

I think that the is same procedure when you install a new head...
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, on new camshafts apply cam lube grease to the lobe faces.

How does the sequence go when talking about engine oil distribution upon startup anyway? Let's say that you fill the crankcase with fresh oil and install a new oil filter as well.

The oil pump draws oil up through the oil pickup from the crankcase. First, the oil filter is filled. Only then does oil continue up into the cylinderhead. So,would the turbo be the last component to receive pumped oil?

Obviously, I am not an automotive engineer(Duh!). So, my understanding of this is probably flawed. Anyone with more knowledge please chime in.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With a head feed the turbo is pretty much last. I only bother to prime a turbo when it's a new motor and it will actually take more than a half second to get oil to it. If you want to play around with it yourself, pull the cam sensor and have someone turn the motor over while you hold the oil feed line in a jug. Note how locg it takes to get oil flow. With a oil filter housing feed it's almost immediate. Can't remember what it was with a head feed. On a new motor it can be a couple seconds while the oil pump starts to do its thing.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

Take a look in the following video.
Prime
Old Aug 6, 2008, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Priming the turbo before you install the oil lines is always recommended.

Most turbo suppliers recommend getting engine oil pressure to the turbo before it's in use. You can disable the ignition or the fuel (pulling the MPI fuse was a common way of doing disabling the fuel on DSMs) while you crank the engine and watch your oil pressure gauge. Remember that the turbo is last in the oil pressure feed, so give it a few extra seconds of cranking after you see full pressure on your gauge. You can't hurt anything going a little extra; you can hurt the turbo if you don't get proper oiling and pressure on first startup. The point is to get good lubrication in the turbo BEFORE the engine starts and the turbo begins spinning at several thousand RPM on dry bushings, as the oil film is the only protection...
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:52 PM
Former Sponsor

I was told to remove your intake and hold the nut on the turbo prior to starting it so oil is pressurized in the turbo but the blades dont spin..

Please correct me if im wrong someone..
Please dont ever do this. I have serviced at least 2 turbos with bloody finger bits inside the covers.

If you have a "head feed" turbo, pull your spark plugs and FP relay or CAS or something like that and spin the motor over till the oil pressure comes up. With the plugs out the motor will spin faster and prime better.

Please never attempt to hold the compressor wheel still or even touch the compressor wheel while starting or operating the engine. You will regret it.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bone fragments may also cause carbon deposits within combustion chamber making it detonate, so your engine might blow up on your way to the ER. Try rebuilding an engine with missing fingers on morphine.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 07:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Fingers count as "foreign objects" and are not covered under your turbo warranty.

Quick Reply: prime new turbo?