Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS Ultimate Fuel Pump Test

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2007, 07:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by AMS
I have amp draw #'s also if anyone wants them.
I'd like to see the amp numbers. Do you have them vs psi for each setup?
Old Apr 7, 2007, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
For Us IX owners, what WHP can we sfaely make on the stock fuel pump? Is ti safe and reliable to do Stage 1 stuff such as a Turbo Back, Inatake, 23PSI tapering without a fuel pump?

As always excelent work Martin and I refuse to deal with any major Parts besides AMS from now on.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Proper !! you guys dont play around!
Old Apr 7, 2007, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i still maintain you guys are comparign apples and oranges.

comparing flow and pressure is just like tryign to compare Volage and Current.

although related, they are apples and oranges.

im gona go with doubleugly, only because i think evolved is confused about the terminology. Either that or just as i have seen so many times with in military training. A vital detail was left out of his education of the c130 system, because it "wasnt his department"

Last edited by lemansz; Apr 7, 2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lemansz
i still maintain you guys are comparign apples and oranges.

comparing flow and pressure is just like tryign to compare Volage and Current.

although related, they are apples and oranges.

im gona go with doubleugly, only because i think evolved is confused about the terminology. Either that or just as i have seen so many times with in military training. A vital detail was left out of his education of the c130 system, because it "wasnt his department"
Well I'm glad you know what I know...here's an idea, why don't you tell me how to do my job, better yet you can do it for me since I'm apparantly unqualified to work on 14 million dollar aircraft in your eyes.

Now to teach you something noob, flow and pressure are related. Go to google and type in Bernoulli's Principle and do some reading.

Last edited by Cirrusly Evolvd; Apr 7, 2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
Well I'm glad you know what I know...here's an idea, why don't you tell me how to do my job, better yet you can do it for me since I'm apparantly unqualified to work on 14 million dollar aircraft in your eyes.

Now to teach you something noob, flow and pressure are related. Go to google and type in Bernoulli's Principle and do some reading.

The biggest problem with everything you've been saying is that you are making the assumption that two SIMILAR systems will behave the same. Your arguments seem to be based around pumps providing pressure without regards to flow. A fuel pressure regulator adjusts fuel pressure by allowing a certain amount of flow to return back to the tank. With a two pump system the regulator opens more to provide the same pressure which results in more flow. If a given pump provides a certain flow rate at a certain pressure it will provide exactly that flow rate. The only time one of the pumps would not pump at all is if the fuel pressure is set at or above the pressure at which that pump drops to zero flow (i.e. 80 psi for a stock VIII pump).

-Paul
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by l2r99gst
What is the weight of the calibration fluid that you used for testing? Is the same as gasonline? Do you know the specific weight per gallon?

Also, can you post the results of the 12V testing if you have them( or 12.5 or whatever other voltage your tested). It would be interesting to see the difference in flow since most pumps probably won't see a full 14V at the pump.

Thanks,
Eric
AMS,

Can you provide the answers to these questions?

Specifically, the results for your 12V testing or any other voltage that you tested.

Thanks,
Eric
Old Apr 10, 2007, 07:52 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
AMS,

Can you provide the answers to these questions?

Specifically, the results for your 12V testing or any other voltage that you tested.

Thanks,
Eric
http://www.rockvalleyoil.com/Calibration_Fluids.htm
It's the 16b calibration fluid, it mimics gasoline.

SG @20deg C = .7833
VIS @20deg C - 1.180

I have the 12V results and I have to graph them still. I'm going to make some new graphs in general to make it easier to for everyone to read. We're also getting a flow meter (+- 1% accuracy) the next few days to make this whole process much easier. Flow meters aren't cheap but it' going to save so much time in testing. Please keep this in mind when we're doing this. This is costing us quite a bit of time and money to get this information out to everyone.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
with the meter will there be a supra pump test?
Old Apr 10, 2007, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AMS
http://www.rockvalleyoil.com/Calibration_Fluids.htm
It's the 16b calibration fluid, it mimics gasoline.

SG @20deg C = .7833
VIS @20deg C - 1.180

I have the 12V results and I have to graph them still. I'm going to make some new graphs in general to make it easier to for everyone to read. We're also getting a flow meter (+- 1% accuracy) the next few days to make this whole process much easier. Flow meters aren't cheap but it' going to save so much time in testing. Please keep this in mind when we're doing this. This is costing us quite a bit of time and money to get this information out to everyone.
Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your testing as I'm sure many others do. It's unbiased testing like this that truly helps the community.

I am just very interested in the IX 12 V numbers, because the 14V numbers show that an upgraded pump will not be necessary for the stock turbo. But, we will probably not see 14V at the pump. So, I wanted to calculate the 12 V numbers to see how many lb/min of airflow it could support.

It would be nice to just upgrade to a IX pump instead of the Walbro if staying on stock turbo (~43lb/min max airflow).

Eric

Last edited by l2r99gst; Apr 10, 2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 09:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by High_PSI
For Us IX owners, what WHP can we sfaely make on the stock fuel pump? Is ti safe and reliable to do Stage 1 stuff such as a Turbo Back, Inatake, 23PSI tapering without a fuel pump?

As always excelent work Martin and I refuse to deal with any major Parts besides AMS from now on.
We have run cars with stage 1-3 on the stock pump with no issues. From what we have seen Fuel pressure is fine on the stock turbo on pump gas.

Eric

Last edited by AutoMotoSports; Apr 10, 2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
at what point would you say the limit of the 255 is?

I guess I am trying to figure out what is ideal as far as pump flow at a certain amount of boost?

Last edited by kmcconn9; Apr 10, 2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 09:47 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

If someone sends me a supra fuel pump!
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
someone please send it to him hahaha or i guess i could but it's hooked up to my fullblown housing...
Old Apr 10, 2007, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pretty interesting stuff

Quick Reply: AMS Ultimate Fuel Pump Test