evolutionm.net - Home of the Lancer Evolution
Home Features Community Marketplace Registry Garage Store

Go Back   evolutionm.net > Lancer Evolution 1-9 Forums > Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsGarageVendor Directory TSB & Recalls
Search

Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
Sponsored by: World Racing

Welcome to EvolutionM.net!
Welcome to EvolutionM.net.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old Mar 14, 2007, 08:04 AM   #1
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR RS

Send a message via AIM to ghoonk Send a message via MSN to ghoonk Send a message via Yahoo to ghoonk Send a message via Skype™ to ghoonk
Tomei il thermostat eliminator or twin oil cooler setup?

I've since learnt that the Evo 8 runs a less efficient oil cooler compared to the Evo IX and since I track the car fairly often in 40degC ambient temps, I was wondering which would be a more useful mod

-- the Tomei Oil Thermostat Eliminator (http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...8&cat=0&page=1) or

-- running a twin oil cooler setup in the same was as the HKS twin cooler setup.

Any thoughts on this? My oil (Castrol EDGE Sport 10W60) temps run into 110degC to 115degC on track, and I would like to run it cooler for better reliability

Old Mar 14, 2007, 08:18 AM   #2
JTB
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (23)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: BMW M5, Caterham Superlight R

Your temps don't look too bad. 115 is actually a target range for me. I find my temps climb rapidly past 125C on hot days . I too am looking for an upgrade. Presently I am thinking of putting in a Setrab oil cooler and possibly an oil/water heat exchanger to take greater advantage of my larger radiator.

I am really not sure what the Tomei Oil Thermostat Eliminator actually does. Unless the stock thermostat is a restricton it is a waste of money and if anything a nuissance as it takes longer to get your oil up to temp.

Acceleration is meaningless if it can't stop and handle -- this includes turning right!

Video -- Chasing down an F40 Caterham style -- PPIR May 2004

Picture Diary Scotland -- Elise and Caterham

Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:24 AM   #3
Evolving Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to ghoonk Send a message via MSN to ghoonk Send a message via Yahoo to ghoonk Send a message via Skype™ to ghoonk
My target range on track is to keep it below 90 after 5 hot laps. The HKS twin cooler setup is known to be able to accomplish this, and for me, it's deciding between the twin cooler and the oil thermostat.

Obviously, the thermostat will not add as much weight to the front end before the axle as much as the extra oil cooler and the braided oil lines

Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:27 AM   #4
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (1)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: EVO 8MR

Bilal Ahmed
Yup same thing happened with me..My oil temp.went to 115 but ppl here told me its ok...
Though i am not satisfied and i am buying HKS oil cooler...
ETS Exahust,ETS Intercooler Kit,Exedy Twin Plate Clutch HD,Jacks 5 speed Transmission,Power FC Dejetro,Aeromotive FPR,Walbro Fuel Pump,Defi Boost,Oil Pressure,Water Temperature,Oil Temperature & EGT Guage,HKS SSQV.

Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:30 AM   #5
Evolving Member
Garage is empty, add now

115 is okay for track or for daily driving?

Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:31 AM   #6
Evolving Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTB View Post
I am really not sure what the Tomei Oil Thermostat Eliminator actually does. Unless the stock thermostat is a restricton it is a waste of money and if anything a nuissance as it takes longer to get your oil up to temp.
"One of the few weaknesses 4G63 is its rising oil temperature. The Evo uses a thermo switch that circulates the oil to the cooler when the temperature gets around 85C. When the oil temp is low, it will restrict oil flow to the oil cooler and raise the temperature of oil consequently. TOMEI oil thermo killer allows the oil to flow into the oil cooler constantly regardless of its temperature. Still, it is easy to put it back to stock thermo switch in winter to prevent over-cool. This item is especially useful if your Evo ever sees any track use."

Old Mar 14, 2007, 03:36 PM   #7
JTB
Evolved Member
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: BMW M5, Caterham Superlight R

Yes, I read the description. My question was rhetorical. All it will do is increase the time for the oil to get to operating temperature. It has no effect after the oil hits 85 which is what you are looking for and hence adds nothing. I guess if you want to watch your oil temp climb more slowly when warming up the car then this is the product for you. Otherwise it is a waste of time and money

The HKS twin cooler, however, is of interest. Any pictures or links to it?

Acceleration is meaningless if it can't stop and handle -- this includes turning right!

Video -- Chasing down an F40 Caterham style -- PPIR May 2004

Picture Diary Scotland -- Elise and Caterham

Old Mar 14, 2007, 04:11 PM   #8
Evolved Member
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 05 element, 03 evo (mutating)

I would avoid anything that slows oil from reaching operating temp. Until oil warms up the add package does not work and the oil isn't working as designed.
two big negatives.
conversely keeping the oil from overheating is critical too. most 40,50+ grades have an hths high enough to be happy at 230F easy.
anything over a hths 3.5 is getting good.

I'm sure there are better qualified oil sperts to refine what I have said, but it should keep you out of trouble.

Old Mar 14, 2007, 04:56 PM   #9
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: Lancer Evolution SST

Send a message via ICQ to gunzo
Where do you have your oil temp sensor located ??

You only see 110c-115c on track is extremely good !!!!!
Geez I've never seen below 120 before on track ..

Anyway .. your cooler should be a 13 row .. same as the IX .. only the 7 is a 11row oil cooler .. which is probably worst off than you

Old Mar 14, 2007, 05:27 PM   #10
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (12)
Garage is empty, add now

where is this twin oil cooler setup?

stuff off an 04 gsr. pms are welcome.

front open differential. stock front strut tower bar. stock front crash beam. stock rear crash beam. stock rear sway bar. brass shifter bushings.

Old Mar 14, 2007, 09:10 PM   #11
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (77)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2003 EVO

I think they are over $1000
EVO-NY #178

Last edited by talentsearch301; Mar 14, 2007 at 09:31 PM.

Old Mar 15, 2007, 05:25 AM   #12
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (1)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: '01 Audi S4, '04 RS(AS), '08 WW X MR, G500, Toyota Hilux 3.0

There is a thread(a couple of years old), although it may very well be on SOCALEVO.net, which includes install pics of Robi's(robispec) installation of a huge(way big!), Setrab oil cooler, which is considerably less expensive, than the HKS setup(if cost is an issue), and should cool your motor oil every bit as well, if not better. Robi's setup is proven to work on SoCal's uber-hot race tracks in the summer. You might wanna seach for it.
Archaic XEDE. Vishnu sprockets-RC 1000-3B-HKS 280/272-FP 18#WGA-AMS LICP-DC DP-Magnaflow Ti-Ralliart TS-Tomei Thermokiller - SSAC O2 - BR8ES-Nissei IC--SS clutch line-Endless(f) /Hawk(r) - WALBRO 255-OMG filter-Motul-KOYO radiator-SAMCO intake hose-UEGO Autometer-Kartboys-Authority SS-MR DV.

Last edited by sparky; Mar 15, 2007 at 05:41 AM.

Old Mar 15, 2007, 05:48 AM   #13
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: zEvo 2.2l

You could try a Laminova heat exchanger, expensive but they are proven to work in wrc!

I've got the one on the pictures but haven't installed it yet.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old Mar 15, 2007, 06:05 AM   #14
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (9)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: through oil, clutches, and bearings

In what ways are is the IX system more efficient, ventilation or more?

I think Moble 1 extended range might have different thermal conductive properties than ordinary M1, so you might want to look into the oil itself too

Old Mar 15, 2007, 06:22 AM   #15
Evolving Member
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: RED EVO IX

Send a message via MSN to cetinsaya
I've got IX. Also I complain about oil temp. Especially hot summer days!!! Is the IX and EVO8 oil cooler system is different ? if I want to upgrade my oil cooler system,which is the best..?

Old Mar 15, 2007, 06:22 AM
EvolutionM
Mitsubishi Lancer

Paid Advertisement

Tags
add, cooler, eliminator, evo, instal, killer, mocal, oil, thermostat, thrmostat, tomei, tomie, trbo, twin, upgrade