Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mass Air conversion, to VTA 100% and no problems

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2007, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mass Air conversion, to VTA 100% and no problems

ive heard of dsm guys doing a mass air or maf conversion, then they can run whatever bov and vta 100%, but i havent seen it first hand, just wondering if its a myth or are there people doing it
Old Feb 13, 2007, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

I think MAF-T Pro can do that, it converts MAP sensor readings into MAF sensor readings from what I can put together, so you can run a GM 3 bar MAP sensor rather than the stock MAF.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, people do it with standalone ECUs or MAFTPro. It's certainly not done for the purpose of going VTA. It's done for the purpose of removing the MAF. Being able to VTA is just a side effect.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

It's true. But if you only want to run VTA... That's ALOT of money to spend just for some noise.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:49 AM

right i can see doing it just for vta to be a waste, so someone tell me what the actual reason to benefit from doing this..
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:53 AM
Account Disabled

If you run VTA it will help in boost response. If you can do it you might as well. I got that information from Forge Motorsport while asking about their BOVs. VTA will relieve turbulence in the intake tract. That's assuming that you are running speed density or a blow-through MAF like MalibuJack.

Last edited by Vigo; Feb 14, 2007 at 04:29 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Cliffs notes of my understanding (Please correct me if I'm wrong): You can get rid of your restrictive MAF and run Velocity Stacks also (just learned about this recently, lol). Also it's easier to tune the car with a standalone, where you dont have to play games with the stock ecu, as the ecu will want to do it's own thing (knock sensor, etc), while a standalone does exaclty what you tell it to. Supposidly, if you flash on an ecu, sometimes the dyno numbers will fluctuate, while on a standalone, the numbers generally stay the same each time within 1-2whp. Dunno if that helps any or not. shrugs. But like Warrtalon said, being able to run VTA is just a sideaffect of what you're trying to do with a standalone.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:08 PM
Account Disabled

Please refer to MalibuJack's post below.

Last edited by Vigo; Feb 14, 2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Vigo
Just use VTA there will be no consequence. It's actually advantageous.

i def want to do vta, but im not willing to sacrafice stability on my car to make a swoosh noise, if its not gona act right ill just stick to a stock IX or something, ive heard good things about the JDM IX, but a couple of guys in my area were going to use a GM LS1 sensor i assume thats a ok sensor to use, and then i guess u need a gm translator as well, i think the reason is theres so many ls-1 builders around here , the sensors are really easy to get ahold of
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:31 PM
Account Disabled

Last edited by Vigo; Feb 14, 2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I run a blowthrough MAF, it removed a very problematic stock MAF, and being able to VTA is a side effect of the coversion as the ford MAF sensor is integrated into my intercooler pipe AFTER the BOV.

I still run a stock ECU, and still have stock drivability, so it has very little to do with tricking the ECU or anything like that.

However doing this conversion just so you can VTA is a COLLOSSAL waste of money and time, as the stock MAF is capable of pretty decent numbers.

I have clearly had some issues with my MAF early on, and was probably one of the first, if not the first to have successfully used on on a USDM Evo. \

So Cliff Notes:

1) If you run a speed density setup (either using a MAFTPRO or a standalone EMS) or blowthrough MAF conversion where the sensor is AFTER the BOV, then you can VTA with no Ill effects.

2) Doing this conversion is expensive, and probably not a wise thing to invest in unless you need it

3) VTA on a stock MAF results in performance and drivability problems.. PERIOD, you can adjust a BOV to stay closed at idle and it won't stall at idle.. But if you vent at very low throttle, it will stall, it will shift rich, and potentially cause other issues. Those who think their not actually somehow hurting their car's drivability or performance by doing that are deluded.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:39 PM
Account Disabled

Good post MalibuJack.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:48 PM

great info malibu, if you dont mind, tell me all the details on the blowthrough setup, cause i think that was the direction i was headed, i can get a ls-1 sensor and translator for about 250$, but im sure theres more to it than that, the sensor has to go after the blow of valve u said, now is this heading in the direction of the intake i assume..or the other direction, so i mean coming off the intake would be the sensor then bov or other way, and any other things i should know..feel free to express thanks
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vigo
Just use VTA there will be no consequence. It's actually advantageous.
Why are you saying this?

And then why are you telling MalibuJack "good post" when it directly contradicts what you said here?
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
ECU+ also allows you to setup a bunch of different MAF(s) like the GM 3 or 3.5" MAF. Where you plumb the MAF is up to you.

Quick Reply: Mass Air conversion, to VTA 100% and no problems