evolutionm.net - Home of the Lancer Evolution
Home Features Community Marketplace Registry Garage Store

Go Back   evolutionm.net > Lancer Evolution 1-9 Forums > Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsGarageVendor Directory TSB & Recalls
Search

Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
Sponsored by: World Racing

Welcome to EvolutionM.net!
Welcome to EvolutionM.net.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old Dec 19, 2006, 05:49 AM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (1)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: Evo IV

1mm oversized valves: Whats the effect on power and torque?

Im looking to put in 1mm oversized inlet and outlet valves when I do my 2.3 stroker and AMS GT35R build early next year.

What is the effect of putting in oversizeed valves? Increased top end power at the expense of torque or am i likely to see increase of power and torque compared to standard size valves?

Note that this is intended to be a 94oct pump gas only car.

Old Dec 19, 2006, 08:44 AM   #2
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (75)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2003 Evo VIII

Depends on what else you do to the head in the way of porting. Very generally stated, larger valves can reduce port velocity in the lower RPM ranges, often with a gain in the upper RPM ranges. It's not always true that you'll see an improvement, since port velocity is important, and you're looking at the area under the whole curve.

Old Dec 19, 2006, 09:02 AM   #3
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: Evo IV

The exhaust ports will ported and polished.

Is it also true that oversized inlet is hard to put in as there isn't much meat in the valve seat that enables you to get a decent three/five angle on it. Which in turn means that the gains you may achieve from enlarging can be lost due to the poor flow over the seat ?

Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:40 PM   #4
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: LANCER EVO VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nianlala View Post
The exhaust ports will ported and polished.

Is it also true that oversized inlet is hard to put in as there isn't much meat in the valve seat that enables you to get a decent three/five angle on it. Which in turn means that the gains you may achieve from enlarging can be lost due to the poor flow over the seat ?
Yes agree with this fact as we used the 1mm oversized ferrea valves and the valve heads reached one an other also due to lack of spacen head..

Old Dec 19, 2006, 04:02 PM   #5
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 05 EVO VIII SSL GSR SOLD

Send a message via AIM to evorace
If your planning on doing drag racing with the car and a heavy port job, it might be a worthwhile investment. Stock DSM heads have been 10s with no porting or increased valve sizes. The evo head I am sure flows much better stock for stock

Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:18 PM   #6
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (75)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2003 Evo VIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by evorace View Post
If your planning on doing drag racing with the car and a heavy port job, it might be a worthwhile investment. Stock DSM heads have been 10s with no porting or increased valve sizes. The evo head I am sure flows much better stock for stock

The ports in a 1G head are considerably larger than the EVO ports. The configurations are substantially different as well. I don't have figures on ultimate flow, or port velocity comparing the 1G to the Evo head. I'd love to see some

Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:25 PM   #7
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (67)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: evo 1 gsr/ evo ix mr 5spd

Check out headdynamics.com he does awesome port work and has many options avl for the 4g, Also reasonable pricing

Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:52 PM   #8
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 05 EVO VIII SSL GSR SOLD

Send a message via AIM to evorace
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_VR4 View Post
The ports in a 1G head are considerably larger than the EVO ports. The configurations are substantially different as well. I don't have figures on ultimate flow, or port velocity comparing the 1G to the Evo head. I'd love to see some

Its a well known fact that the 2g head is a better platform to start with because its port size yeilds a higher velocity. As crappy as the 1g heads are, they still go 10s with cams and no port wor or pocket portwork.

Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:52 PM
EvolutionM
Mitsubishi Lancer

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1mm, dsm, effect, evo, evolutionm, flow, head, oversize, oversized, port, put, torque, valve, valves, velocity, work