Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My 2.3L build, lots o pics

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2006, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome write up.....

but one thing I dont understand....you have a fast evo but slow internet connection???

something doesnt add up here
Old Sep 3, 2006, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
Awesome write up.....

but one thing I dont understand....you have a fast evo but slow internet connection???

something doesnt add up here

I'm lost. Where did I say i had a slow internet connection? I have cable.

Plus I still don't have the engine completly broke in. So I don't know if its a fast EVO or not
Old Sep 3, 2006, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 9GUY9
I'm lost. Where did I say i had a slow internet connection? I have cable.

Plus I still don't have the engine completly broke in. So I don't know if its a fast EVO or not

I thought I read that you had 56K dial up?? or maybe I read wrong.... its late at night and I cant even see straight or understand what I'm reading now *yawn*

Just break in the motor properly and I'm sure It'll be a fast car
Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice write up!

Hmm, maybe I can use this article to get my brother to go in on a 2g DSM with me, hehe...

Now the fun of tuning will begin and then ... finding out how badly outmatched the stock turbo is by the 2.3L.

l8r)
Old Sep 4, 2006, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

all that and STOCK CAMS?!?!??!?!?!?

great pictorial. well worth the sticky..
Old Sep 4, 2006, 03:27 PM

Great read
Old Sep 5, 2006, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

im curious to know how the car is currently running. what are you doing about tuning? im considering building a 2.3 with simliar parts to yours and 272's and stock turbo for now (broke!)
Old Sep 5, 2006, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

very nice write-up. i'd like to that. it would save a shat load of labor costs...
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jdm4g63tgalant
im curious to know how the car is currently running. what are you doing about tuning? im considering building a 2.3 with simliar parts to yours and 272's and stock turbo for now (broke!)

Currently the car is running geat, however i still haven't got it broke in. I only have about 250 miles on it so far. I've been working the last week strait and the only driving its been getting is back and forth to work. I only live like 3 miles from work, so its not exactly piling them on. I had yesterday off and was planning to cruise around and put some good miles on it, but instead ended up putting a stereo in all day .

If i had the cash I would have put cams in at the time of the build, however that was a additional $500-600 I didn't have. I'm sure i will down the road. I havn't done any tuning yet. Once its broke in I'm going to get a boost controller on it and a fuel pump. Then turn up the boost a little and get it tuned.

Good luck in your build
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:08 PM
Account Disabled

Great write up!
Old Sep 12, 2006, 09:57 AM

PLEASE post (or better yet, PM me) a dyno sheet when you get that engine tuned. I am dreaming about a 2.3 stroker one day, would love to see numbers with a stock turbo.

Kinda like a USDM STI, biggish displacement with smallish turbo.

By the way, AWESOME job and post.

Good luck with the car!

Last edited by evolovinit; Sep 13, 2006 at 07:15 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 02:47 PM

+1 for 2.3. like the write up, keep up the good work!
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Well done. Keep us updated with your dyno results. I'm really curious to see what numbers you will make with stock boost and a stock or stockish tune.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

You going to join the MN EVO cruise ? laters, and great write up.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:13 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 9GUY9
Something the got me all worked up just before i started the build was Eagle has a sticker on the inside of the rod box that says their rods are to be used with 6 bolt (89-92) rod bearings. Well by the time I saw this I had already ordered all my parts and I ordered 7 bolt rod bearings, I figured i was building a 7 bolt engine with 7 bolt bearings. So when I noticed this sticker I called all the local parts stores looking for 6 bolt bearings. NAPA got me Cleviete 77 6 bolt bearings by the next morning. After all the calling around and worrying I had the wrong bearings, it turn out the 7 bolt bearings work just fine. The 6 bolt bearings are 23.5mm wide vs. 7 bolts 21.1mm. The thickness are the same. Since i was building this engine due to a spun rod bearing I was happy about the extra 2.4mm of surface area offered by the 6 bolt bearings. However the 6 bolt bearings didn't fit in the rods . The tang is too wide for the slot in the rod, and its on the edge of the bearing, which causes the bearing to sit off center in the rod. It was recommended by another member on here to file the tang down to make it fit. But I didn't feel real comfortable doing that, and i preferred to use the coated ACL bearings vs. the Cleveites. So I ended up using the 7 bolt bearings I origionally had . This pic shows the difference between the 6 bolt (left) and 7 bolt (right) bearings.
Welcome to my life. ****ing Eagle bastards... They still put that sticker in the box even though 6 BOLT BEARINGS DO NOT FIT THEM ANYMORE!.

Name:  bearing-1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  45.6 KB

Quick Reply: My 2.3L build, lots o pics