Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

PCV system theory and Oil catch cans.

Old May 15, 2006, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CarFanatic
OR maybe buy a cheap one and baffle it your self like this maybe?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OIL-R...QQcmdZViewItem
$25.00 shipping and handling? Anything you pay them on the auction is a bonus, they are making all their money on the shipping and handling.

Keith
Old May 15, 2006, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok well I have found out how to make a sealed catch can to where it is like baffled but a D I Y mod. Works great. If you have the greddy can this is the one I did this mod on. All others should be about the same concept.

Sorry guys no pics. Wish i had them.

ITEMS NEEDED.
1 FOOT RUBBER HOSE. PENDING ON SIZE 'READ BELOW'
1 POT SCRUBBER. READ THREAD FOR WHAT THAT MEANS CAUSE I DON'T NO THE NAME OF IT BUT YOU WILL SEE.
1 CATCHCAN.
Step 1:
Get your catch can out of the car, truck, boat, go kart or where ever it is and clean it out..

Step 2:
Get yourself some teflon tape for all the threads from the check tube and nipples for the in and out passings and rap the threads for a nice seal.

Step 3:
Go to autozone or any store that sells rubber hose, get about 1 foot long and get one thick enough to fit into 1 of the nipples that is going into the catch can... Also keep in mind the inside diameter should be around 1/4 open. As the stock tubes are about that size. No Smaller.

Step 4:
Now comes the fun part! Now with the rubber hose fitted to the catch can nipple start to put the rubber hose thru the catch can. BUT WAIT you got to run the hose out the other end where the return line would go. Now that it is all the way thru start to screw the inlet fitting on the catch can WHILE twisting the rubber hose so it don't get all tangled up inside.

Step 5:
Now with that nipple nice and snug try to measure the rubber hose ABOUT half way down the can.. Then cut and stuff the hose back in. Make sure it is pointing down to the bottom of the can.

Step 6:
You will need your pot scrubbing thing. I don't even know what to call it but if you have followed this thread you will know what im talking about. Start to pull it apart. Not apart apart but stretch it out. Make it a lil' wider then the top of the can. Now slowly with a screw driver or something start to stuff it in the open hole on the can. Try to get it on top of the rubber hose for support.

Step 7:
Once that is in and set where it should be then start to put the rest of the can together. When your done put it back in your car, truck, boat, go kart and enjoy your HOME MADE BAFFLED CATCH CAN!!!!!

I hope you can understand my typing. I'm not good at explaining things. If you need help pm me, I'll give you my number and I'll talk you through it. Hope this helps.
Old May 15, 2006, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds good ! but we will need pics from anybody else who is doing this mod. It would be a good idea to read from the beginning so you understand why this is going on
Old May 16, 2006, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

I got a small glass fuel filter to condense and trap the oil vapors before they get into the intake on the recirc. side ($11 pep boys) - in use for 1 week - excellent and small (size of a vianna sausage)

And for the PCCV after the factory checkvalve I got a pneumatic water trap ($11 walmart) to grap the oil. in use for 1 hour so far so good and small (size of a half smoked cigar)
Old May 16, 2006, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
I got a small glass fuel filter to condense and trap the oil vapors before they get into the intake on the recirc. side ($11 pep boys) - in use for 1 week - excellent and small (size of a vianna sausage)

And for the PCCV after the factory checkvalve I got a pneumatic water trap ($11 walmart) to grap the oil. in use for 1 hour so far so good and small (size of a half smoked cigar)
do you have any pictures of this set up??
Old May 16, 2006, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR. SNOW
Still no response to the one catch can Idea like the ARC design?
Hello Mr Snow

If you intend to have a one catch can system, I would suggest that you get the one that is from ARC for the EVO7. This is because the newer oil catch are just two way...one in and out. This means you have to use a tee joint. Under boost, the pressure from the two lines can be pretty high and if the can pressurises faster than the venting, its not going to work and in worse case senerio, the can inlet and outlet joints may give way.

The ARC EVO7 catch tank is a three way system with two small inlet and one big outlet. I think Carbing has a 4way catch tank.....
Old May 17, 2006, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Denial - I do have a quetion on this: What do you do with the valve cover breather and the line on the Intake manifold as well? They both seem to be regualr barb fittings? do they make lines that switch brab fittings to AN fittings as well? These lines don't seem threaded in and are "pressed" in or so I am guessing. How do you get stainless lines to attach on thes2 2 ends? Thanks!
Old May 18, 2006, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Just a report on my DIY poor mans crankcase oil vapor trap system, well after about 10 days of use the intake side has collected about 1cc of oil vapor of which is stuck on the coldest surfaces of the glass.

The plenum side collects about 1cc of oil a day (finally found out where all the oil goes with the car!) which surprised me.

I will definately take pictures this weekend - it really is rather crafty esp for the $25 worth of parts. Small too.
Old May 18, 2006, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

Just a report on my DIY poor mans crankcase oil vapor trap system, well after about 10 days of use the intake side has collected about 1cc of oil vapor of which is stuck on the coldest surfaces of the glass.

The plenum side collects about 1cc of oil a day (finally found out where all the oil goes with the car!) which surprised me.

I will definately take pictures this weekend - it really is rather crafty esp for the $25 worth of parts. Small too.
Hey dude! I am all for supporting the DIY guys! I am wondering about the filter material tho, what kind is it? Is it like sponge or something? Is the collector protected with a little metal cage or something ? I wonder if the oil will sludge up with time and maybe kind plug it up or something. Maybe it is cleanable if you can open it. Good work
Old May 22, 2006, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by denial
Are you asking me or the BMan? If it's me then here we go...

BMan has an excellent point in that the most important setting where you would want to prevent oil from entering the intake tract is when the engine is under high load (and thus high boost). So you would put a can in b/t the intake tract and valve cover. The benefit here is that you keep oil out of the entire intake tract and intercooler optimizing effeciency and possibly preventing detonation if it reaches the combustion chamber (as oil has a very low ocatne rating).
I guess I haven't been here for a while, sorry.
What I was getting at is;
I have seen a few guys put a breather filter on the valve cover, some because they don't have a nipple on their intake pipe. In my opinion it is a bad thing for a couple of reasons. a) under light load it is drawing air through the block and not pulling a negative pressure, then b) under high boost/high rpm the filter will be getting oil vapor blown on the inside causing it to not breathe and causing positive pressure in the block.
When the pistons are moving, the air inside the block is moving from one area to another (called case pumping) as 2 pistons go up, 2 go down causing pressure changes inside the block. This causes the seals to pulse and wear prematurely causing oil leaks and seal failure.
The double catch can is hot! Big thumbs up
Old May 23, 2006, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

one thought i just had, if the catch can fills up past the bottom of the snorkel, could a bunch of oil be sucked back in a backpressure situation?
Old May 23, 2006, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ovenmit331
one thought i just had, if the catch can fills up past the bottom of the snorkel, could a bunch of oil be sucked back in a backpressure situation?
I'm not sure if that's even possible, but all he'd have to do is further perforate the tube inside the canister all the way to the top. Then it would just suck air back out instead of liquid.
Old May 23, 2006, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ovenmit331
If it fills up that far before an oil change, there is some kind of major problem.IMO

For severe applications, I am planning the larger Universal racing type can. That one is the one that I have alot of detail pictures of on my site.

Comments on this?

Thanks for looking!

Mr. Saikou ^^V
Old May 23, 2006, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

you could just drill more holes to be safe.
Old May 23, 2006, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CarFanatic
you could just drill more holes to be safe.
You really NEED the extra holes drilled on the can that will be used on the breather side of the system. The normal flow path will be in through the air filter, down through the filter media, up through the tube, and into the crank case. That tube needs to be perforated along it's length for the entire area that is filled with the filter media.

Keith

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCV system theory and Oil catch cans.