Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transmission failiure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2003, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm back for a quick post....new tranny on it's way...released car to me while new tranny arrives.....I will want other compensation if this takes forever......might consider puchasing ralliart clutch or lsd...while they have the box pulled....do you think they would install these items during the work needed...if they are made by ralliart maybe it would not effect warranty?
Old Mar 26, 2003, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by limey
I'm back for a quick post....new tranny on it's way...released car to me while new tranny arrives.....I will want other compensation if this takes forever......might consider puchasing ralliart clutch or lsd...while they have the box pulled....do you think they would install these items during the work needed...if they are made by ralliart maybe it would not effect warranty?
So, any way of knowing when yer tranny will go bye-bye? I'd hate for you to be cruizin and all of the sudden LOCKUP ! !

As for as the Ralliart parts, anyone that comes in with this tranny problem should get full warranty on any Ralliart parts they want to install, and they will install it for the customer. IMO anyways. To compensate for bad craftsmanship.

Last edited by stvbreal; Mar 26, 2003 at 03:27 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 03:34 PM

Cool, hopefully it won't take too long. Somehow I doubt mitsu will be throwing in ralliart parts. One, they have to isolate the problem and make sure they replacement will suffice.
Two, everyone will be asking for an upgrade...

Originally posted by stvbreal

So, any way of knowing when yer tranny will go bye-bye? I'd hate for you to be cruizin and all of the sudden LOCKUP ! !

As for as the Ralliart parts, anyone that comes in with this tranny problem should get full warranty on any Ralliart parts they want to install, and they will install it for the customer. IMO anyways. To compensate for bad craftsmanship.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 04:12 PM

Don't know if this will make you feel any better but I have worked on a few trannys in my life mostly domestic. Sometimes on new cars the gears sorta get broken in. Meaning they grind together smoothing out the teeth producing metal shavings. Shavings are OK as the drain plug has a magnet on it to collect them on most cars, chunks are bad. I did change the gear oil in my tranny from my usdm lancer and there was a small amount of shavings in there. So personally I would not get to worried unless there a chunks of metal floating around. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 04:41 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Limey,

Did you ask them to look at the tranny oil?

5 years or 60,000 miles on the drivetrain .... have a ball.

Speedlimit........

Last edited by Speedlimit; Mar 26, 2003 at 05:08 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Sprocket
Don't know if this will make you feel any better but I have worked on a few trannys in my life mostly domestic. Sometimes on new cars the gears sorta get broken in. Meaning they grind together smoothing out the teeth producing metal shavings. Shavings are OK as the drain plug has a magnet on it to collect them on most cars, chunks are bad. I did change the gear oil in my tranny from my usdm lancer and there was a small amount of shavings in there. So personally I would not get to worried unless there a chunks of metal floating around. Hope this helps.
It must be bad enough for mitsubishi to give me a new transmission....I don't feel bad about this...it is obvious that a batch of parts that where outsourced for the trans in Japan came in with the wrong tollerance or something and somehow slipped through quality control....If they take there time on this I will start milkin for compensation
Old Mar 26, 2003, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Speedlimit
Limey,

Did you ask them to look at the tranny oil?

5 years or 60,000 miles on the drivetrain .... have a ball.

Speedlimit........
They looked at the tranny oil and there where bits of metal in it ....they said that they have taken a sample of the oil for mitsubishi's use/analasys....and they want the tranny back for scrutiny...My intention is not to ask them to pay for the ralliart parts, just put the parts I have puchased in while they have the thing apart...it would save me a ton of cash in labor and I am more likely to retain my warranty with a trained tech doing the work.....what do ya think....?
Old Mar 26, 2003, 06:10 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally posted by limey
They looked at the tranny oil and there where bits of metal in it ....they said that they have taken a sample of the oil for mitsubishi's use/analasys....and they want the tranny back for scrutiny...My intention is not to ask them to pay for the ralliart parts, just put the parts I have puchased in while they have the thing apart...it would save me a ton of cash in labor and I am more likely to retain my warranty with a trained tech doing the work.....what do ya think....?
I would go down and talk to the service manager. Have the service manager talk to the regional service manager or get his phone number and you talk to him.They might want to do a little extra to make-up for the early failure and inconvience. Where would you get the Ralliart parts?

My hunch is they are going to want happy customers early on.....

Speedlimit.........
Old Mar 27, 2003, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Speedlimit

I would go down and talk to the service manager. Have the service manager talk to the regional service manager or get his phone number and you talk to him.They might want to do a little extra to make-up for the early failure and inconvience. Where would you get the Ralliart parts?

My hunch is they are going to want happy customers early on.....

Speedlimit.........
Ralliart parts would come from either the UK through "extreme" or I would order from japan parts.....so far I have no reason for taking it to the next level....the service team at my dealership have been quick, helpful, informative and sympathetic, which is how it should be, I will give them a week to get thier ducks in a row...
Old Mar 27, 2003, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

I think everyone here is quite a bit paranoid and over reacting.
I can hear my tranny fine (meaning I can hear it making noise), but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it. It seems very smooth.
You are going to hear a lot of things you are not used to on this car. On the highway you have to turn the radio to 31 just to hear it, but that is what I fully expected. My Galant was worse and it had more sound damping material.
A smart thing to do would be to flush out the tranny fluid, get some synthetic in there, and then check it again after a few hundred miles. You might be seeing normal wear.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

I am not saying anything, nor am I suggesting anyone elses cog box is faulty.... my dealer found enough swarf and metal in my gearbox to warrant replacing it ..........I heard enough bearing noise for me to want it replaced....thats all I know....I can not comment on other peoples cars because I have never heard the noises they are making...I have a suggestion if you think you trans maybe faulty....take it to your dealer for a second opinion....thats all I did....and posted my experience to you all.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

I think everyone here is quite a bit paranoid and over reacting.
I can hear my tranny fine (meaning I can hear it making noise), but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it. It seems very smooth.
I think people should be to some extent. I mean when someone pays $30K+ for a car, a catastrophic failure on the second most important piece of the car within the first 1K miles is unacceptable. I know I am having second thoughts. This is one of the reasons I decided to go with the Evo over the STi. Maybe I'll scrap the whole idea and go with a low mileage Supra TT.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 12:03 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Funny, but the Supra may cost you more than an STi.

This is fairly unbelievable, but let's just hope it's EXTREMELY isolated. Crankwalk is/was isolated and look how much we hear about that. I don't think Mitsubishi could use that again.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

just a note.. ususally first and second gear are "spur" gears meaning that two teeth always have contact on both gears instead of just one on helical gears. this is why many manual transmissions are known for making more noise in those gears than the higher ones. the spur gears are stronger due to the contact between the teeth. the helical gears are just quieter. hope this help(only applies to whinning though)
Old Mar 27, 2003, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe its part of the loosening up of the gear box that is suppose to happen. Maybe it just loosened itself to pieces.
J/K

Quick Reply: Transmission failiure