Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transmission failiure

Old Jul 28, 2003, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I forgot to mention, the clutch was working OK during this episode. The problem of getting it out of gear was a gear selector problem, not a clutch problem ... the thing just would not budge out of 5th once the noise started. Otherwise I would have just shifted without the clutch (I've had plenty of practice in another car).

My skid to a stop was pretty short as I had already slowed down signficantly and the lock up was some-what progressive (I felt it siezing up over a period of about five seconds). So much so that I already had the car on the shoulder and the skid was maybe 20 feet or so. But that was it ... that car wasn't rolling after that, even after I managed to manhandle it out of fifth gear.

G.Lib.
Old Aug 2, 2003, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Car died. Driving a Galant. Car lives again Monday morning wit an emergency clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. They can't just replace one. Something about warranty. Funny that the clutch was on national back order. They better keep em in stock they're going to need them.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 03:37 AM

Well, I got the car back after 4 (weekdays) in the shop. The dealer replaced the transaxle (under warranty). They did not give any explanation for the failure other to confirm that it was locked up.

G.Lib.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Any new updates??

And this is what I got from this thread:

Only 3 or 4 transmissions need to be replaced

Some more were replaced but it wasn't necessary

Mostly everyone is paranoid about the decel noise that this trans makes.

All in all trans is a good trans
Old Oct 25, 2003, 09:25 PM

Re: Transmission failiure

Originally posted by limey
1000 miles and my evo is in the dealer with them reporting they found a ton of metal in the trans oil and casing...my question is what now on a car a week old......what would you want Mitsubishi to do? It has had very light use and I have been babying the thing....obviously a fault from new
i have 1400 miles and my 5th is messed up id grinds all the time. I shift it slow and still grinds i believe they have trany problems.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 09:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have EXACTLY the same 5th gear problem.. If you take it out of gear, then clutch into 5th (The double clutch method, usually you do that in trucks that don't have synchros), it goes ok, but only grinds if I dont.. That is worn synchro...

My car is currently in the shop getting the transmission rebuilt.. Several observations I made.. I have almost 13000 miles on the clutch, they never accused me of abusing or modifying my car, they told me they had 2 Evo's (That needed clutches but those cars had less than 3000 miles, they claimed it was driver related failure, which I am inclined to believe, but not in every case)

What was REALLY cool is they told me that they would inspect my clutch, and replace it if necessary (minimal labor and parts) while the transmission was out of the car it made sense for them...

What I found interesting was they told me about "Updated Parts" when they test drove my car and looked up the rebuild parts.

Ok.. Now with that aside.. You can easily tear up synchros easily by missing a shift and trying to jam it into gear while the engine is revving (and grinding like mad) It happens most frequently in the lower gears for obvious reason, its pretty rare on the 5th gear synchro, however because of its design, the 5th gear synchro is apparently the weakest synchro, so 1 bad shift can tear the **** out of it.

Just a FYI..

Let me add that even though I had a problem, The dealership I am dealing with has been Exemplary! They outright said it was a waste of money to replace my plugs and fuel filter so early and said I should wait till a next schedule service. They never questioned ANYTHING about warranty service, and never accused me of abusing my car (For the record I haven't abused my car, obviously with 13000 miles on my clutch I can honestly say I haven't been making hard launches, but I've driven the car the way its meant to be)

Although its disappointing to have problems, I bought the car expecting a higher than normal need for service, and if you wanna play, you gotta pay, I would certainly not have expected the dealer to pay for my clutch replacement if I needed it after 3000 miles unless I knew for certain my driving wasn't to blame. (I think the mitsu policy is if its not modified, and doesnt appear that the car is abused, their replacing clutches under warranty if you have under 12k miles, but that's just heresay and my intepretation of the warranty book)

Just my two bits of advice.. Lata!
Old Nov 23, 2003, 09:08 PM

Hi I found out from my dealer that there is a recall, but it is on the early production date ones. Which mine was one of them. They found two bad gears. Which are on a national back order which could take months to get parts mine was built in Feb 2003.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Ravins EVO VIII
Hi I found out from my dealer that there is a recall, but it is on the early production date ones. Which mine was one of them. They found two bad gears. Which are on a national back order which could take months to get parts mine was built in Feb 2003.
Can you post any additional info on this recall?
Old Nov 24, 2003, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Yea, I would like to hear of this "recall" Is there a tech service bulletin? I have a January 2003 build
Old Aug 16, 2004, 08:11 PM

Tranny Noise TSB 03-00-014

I finally got a chance to take my Evo in to have the tranny noises checked out and as expected they've acknowledged the existance of the noises, but they claim that is because the car is "a street legal race car" with less sound-proof insulation for weight savings...they actually gave me a print out of a TSB from MMNA stating this crap. I'm still not convinced at all, especially that none of these noises were present until I had at least 7k miles...also the tranny rattling noises I get in neutral are not part of this TSB, but the dealer said the transmission chracteristics change when the car/fluids are heated up and it's normal. They also didn't want to check for metal shavings in the fluid cause that can only happen if they drain the fluid, which is not covered under warranty. If I really want them to check, I would have to pay for a transmission fluid replacement!!!

I've already attached a copy of TSB-03-00-014s.jpg in "How Many People Have the Problem W/ Tranny Noise"

It's a TSB that covers other noises as well, the one relevant to this topic says:

The following noises are normal chracteristics of the Lancer Evolution. Dealers should NOT attempt repairs to eliminate:

"Growling, or whirring noise heard from the transmission or transfer case, usually on deceleration from about 5,000-2,500 RPM"

Manchester Mitsubishi, NH
~11,800 miles