Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

help me understand stalling with intake!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2005, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help me understand stalling with intake!!!

Hey guys yes im new to the evo world. Ijust bought the injen intake with UICP and i have read that people have problems with the car stalling and weird idling. My car i have absolutly no problems with well so far its been on the car for 2 days along with my greddy type-s BOV. My car is an 05. So my question to you guys is why do people have problems with it stalling and idling weird. I know everyone on here recommends a flash along with the intake to get the best performance but i just done understand why people have this problem. I have also read where a couple of 05 owners have the same intake with no flash and have no problems. Is there something that throws the 03 or 04 computers off. Yes i have searched and i know i will probablky get flammed but i just would like to know, Plus there are about a million intake threads.

Thanks alot
Matt
Old Dec 31, 2005, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put the stock stuff back on, and see if it still does it. your computer detects and measures the "air" in the airbox. you took the airbox off with out compensating for it (flash or a tune). Your computer is confused and stalling the car.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

if you read he says he has NO problems with stalling. I really don't understand the point of this thread anyways
Old Dec 31, 2005, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

basically the point of this thread is to find out exactly why some people have problems with stalling and idling with no flash. Some do and some dont. Im sure this has been discussed several times but all the damn intake threads are a ***** to go through and yes i have searched but came up with nothing.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

a/f mix thats why
Old Dec 31, 2005, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

sometimes it might be something as simple as a hole in the intake that they didn't cap off. But yeah basically what dustin says
Old Dec 31, 2005, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SiCKlEyWiKeD
if you read he says he has NO problems with stalling. I really don't understand the point of this thread anyways
Oh, I misread the post! why bother if its fine?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

that's what i was sayin
Old Dec 31, 2005, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SiCKlEyWiKeD
that's what i was sayin
Old Dec 31, 2005, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Its just weird to me its like some kinda mystery or something. Every since i started reading on here it just seemed to be one big problem with doing an intake and or a BOV
Old Dec 31, 2005, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Are you having any kind of problem at all? do you know anybody that's having this problem? what are you trying to resolve?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03redtype-s
Its just weird to me its like some kinda mystery or something. Every since i started reading on here it just seemed to be one big problem with doing an intake and or a BOV
I havent heard that! It is just important that if you change the intake, to get the most HP out of it (and not lose any HP) you must have it tuned, because the cones dont produce the vortex the MAF needs to see! Or something like that.

GET CONE= MUST TUNE IT!!!
Old Dec 31, 2005, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People often think there is no problem, when there really is. The issues don't always materialize in terms of stalling/idling issues. You completely throw off the AFRs with an untuned intake and add turbulent air across the MAF, which throws off the tune further. If you started with your first 2 mods being an Injen Intake and Greddy Bov, then that is the worst way to spend your money. You got more noise than power for that $600 when it could have gone towards an mbc, boost gauge, tune, fuel pump, and cheaper BOV (but no less effective) for a good 30whp and a perfect setup for making more power later. As long as you think they're working fine, then that's all that really matters. Ignorance is bliss...
Old Dec 31, 2005, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

warrtalon that help me better understand whats going on with what i read. Yeah as far as buying both the intake and bov first i got both of them for about 400 bucks brand new so i couldnt complain. tune will be next just trying to better understand why i read this will all these threads of people haveing the problems i mentioned.

Matt
Old Dec 31, 2005, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, if you got those new for $400 combined, that's good, because the Injen w/UICP costs $400 itself. I still wouldn't spend $400 on those things, but at least you didn't spend $600.