Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

DOG BOX vs STOCK TRANNY

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2005, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trinydex
it pops when they let of the the throttle... and it pops when tehy upshift.... they don't let off for upshifts... so taht has nothing to do with antilag. and i'm not talking about the multiple poppopopop action.
They dont lift but that doesnt mean that the throttle is open, its closed by a throttle interrupt as per Greg K.

Originally Posted by Greg K
the shift logic has a built in throttle interrupt for upshifts (no-lift-shift) that will briefly cut the ignition (in most cases), the popping is usually on downsifts when they're off the throttle, and that is a function of anti-lag.
I dont see why there would be a difference in how the system would work between a downshift an upshift, the throttle is still closed for a period of time. Regardless, my point was that engines dont 'turn off' in the middle of shifts. Perhaps i'm misunderstanding his post.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 02:31 PM

How does a dogbox in a car differ from a motorcycle gearbox? I had a Honda 500 Interceptor, and I'd let off the throttle to upshift, and use the clutch to down shift. I didn't have to rev match to get into a lower gear, and I could select any gear with the clutch in at a stop with the engine idling.

Just wondering why the same sort of gearbox in a car is so much more temperamental.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Question

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
AFAIK, AMS already uses NLS, so I doubt a dog-box would net them .5 secs - maybe a tenth or two...

l8r)
What is NLS?
Old Aug 22, 2005, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nubby
How does a dogbox in a car differ from a motorcycle gearbox? I had a Honda 500 Interceptor, and I'd let off the throttle to upshift, and use the clutch to down shift. I didn't have to rev match to get into a lower gear, and I could select any gear with the clutch in at a stop with the engine idling.

Just wondering why the same sort of gearbox in a car is so much more temperamental.
I don't think that they are much more tempermental in a car vs. motorcycle. I have a dog box in my car and do not find it difficult to drive. I'm not sure that I'd want to use it as a daily driver but it's not bad on the street at all IMO.

Your description is right on.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Yaroslav
What is NLS?
No Lift Shifting

l8r)
Old Aug 22, 2005, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
No Lift Shifting

l8r)
Ha!!! The only way to drag race!!! ;-)
Old Aug 22, 2005, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3240
I don't think that they are much more tempermental in a car vs. motorcycle. I have a dog box in my car and do not find it difficult to drive. I'm not sure that I'd want to use it as a daily driver but it's not bad on the street at all IMO.

Your description is right on.

A bit of gear whine though i would imagine
Old Aug 22, 2005, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GMat
A bit of gear whine though i would imagine
The car is so damn loud that I can hardly hear the gear whine!
Old Aug 22, 2005, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Yaroslav
Every time we have switched to a dogbox we have been able to knock .5 seconds off our quarter mile time from the shifting, they last longer before tear downs, and are eventually cheaper in the long run. Expand that over how many times you shift in a roadrace car or rally car and you can see why a dog box can be so beneficial to times.

0.5 sec!!!!!!
If AMS ran 10.02
with DOG BOX at least 9.6sec easy!
And it`s NO NOS!
It doesnt work so easy. Its like some people on this board claiming to run a certain time and dont even close. You cant assume they will run in the 9s because the tranny should knock off a half sec.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 07:38 AM

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n_1jO64tuQA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n_1jO64tuQA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>