Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

air intake (cone) or drop in high air flow filter??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2005, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air intake (cone) or drop in high air flow filter??

hey guys. wondering what is best for our evos. drop in high flow intake such as k&n etc. or those ram air intake like injen. with the stock air flow on the intake i imagine it would be best if the drop in is the way to go, since you get a direct/force air induction coming from the outside. i dont know im just imagining. i just want to know if its worth getting the whole intake system than just dropping in a high flow air filter, and if drop in is best then which one should i get.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Actually a lot of EVO owners have had idle issues with an open air cone. The MAS on the EVO is real picky, so it makes the ECU go crazy will all the extra air coming in. I think people have had a lot of success with the drop in high flow filter. Plus, ur not gonna have to fork out like $200+ for an intake system.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 10:03 PM

"Actually a lot of EVO owners have had idle issues with an open air cone."

you got tHAT right! i just finished reading all the post and thread about intake, and i didnt get an answer to my question. i did learn something though that it all goes down on what part you have to match it with to get that optimum gain ( exhaust, and tuning). i for one just want to know which is worth it. im leaning on the drop in air filter but which one. but if you or anybody that reads this post know that an open air intake system is better than please let me know what kind and details. and also please, lets stay on the topic. i dont want to know anything else. just want to know which is worth it.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

certain proven cone filters will indeed give slightly better gain then a drop-in filter, as long as you are tuned for it.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Do yourself a favor and get the drop in. Until you are making BIG numbers/ tuning, a drop in is sufficient.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

on my '03 i have standard buschur open filter ($80) and vishnu 3" signature turboback exhaust with no tune and have never had idle or tune issues.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

I've had 2 evos with 2 different air intakes, and no problems due to the intake swap, even without a tune. Slight drop in turbo PSI on my 03 with the AEM, on my 05 MR, the HKS RS hasn't even seemed to have this impact. And I like the sound...not too loud for me, but I get to hear the turbo and DV enough to make me smile.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by electric_evo276
"Actually a lot of EVO owners have had idle issues with an open air cone."

you got tHAT right! i just finished reading all the post and thread about intake, and i didnt get an answer to my question. i did learn something though that it all goes down on what part you have to match it with to get that optimum gain ( exhaust, and tuning). i for one just want to know which is worth it. im leaning on the drop in air filter but which one. but if you or anybody that reads this post know that an open air intake system is better than please let me know what kind and details. and also please, lets stay on the topic. i dont want to know anything else. just want to know which is worth it.
Alright, u just made it sound as if u were asking whats better, open or drop in? Anyways, i personally have the injen intake/upper IC piping and have zero idling issues. Only the BOV is causing me to stumble a little, but then again its known to do that. If u wan a drop in filter, just check out some vendor's websites. K&N, Blitz, Monster Sport, Ralliart, etc....all make high quality drop-in filters. In terms of which one works best, thats an impossible question to answer. People's cars react differently to certain mods, so i guess you'll have to go by trial-and-error. If u dont wanna even worry about idling issues, go for a drop-in as they are cheaper and more reliable anyways. Oh yea, check out www.lancershop.com if u wanna find these filters. Good luck bro!
Old Apr 24, 2005, 09:53 AM

thanks guys keep em coming
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:20 PM
j8
Evolving Member

I would recommend runing a drop in filter. I use the K&N. It is also nice if you need to take your car in for warranty work. Changing the intake is a red flag for mods at the dealership.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

I agree, with my drop in filter i don't have any idling issues either. If you want more air you can get the blitz air induction top, fits the oem airbox or you can make one yourself. My friend and I made custom airbox so that you can get more air flow through the top of the airbox. I'll post pics soon for you to see what i mean.

Originally Posted by j8
I would recommend runing a drop in filter. I use the K&N. It is also nice if you need to take your car in for warranty work. Changing the intake is a red flag for mods at the dealership.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

here's some pics of the custom airbox that we made. These pics shown have the oem airfilter, but also works with all drop in filters.
Attached Thumbnails air intake (cone) or drop in high air flow filter??-custom-airbox-top-1.jpg   air intake (cone) or drop in high air flow filter??-custom-airbox-top-2.jpg   air intake (cone) or drop in high air flow filter??-custom-airbox-top-3.jpg  
Old Apr 24, 2005, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by ddubb
here's some pics of the custom airbox that we made. These pics shown have the oem airfilter, but also works with all drop in filters.
would the hot air from engine slow thing a bit? just curious.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

we both haven't had any issues with ours installed. IMO if blitz makes basically the same drop on cover(aluminum $150) that probably doesn't have issues this should be fine, also if you think about it, most cone filters are actually closer to the heat from the engine than where the stock airbox is located, plus we are still getting fresh air from the ram air pulling from outside the engine compartment. This custom box might not be the most efficient but it definately does feel better than stock. I'm not planning on changing to a cone intake until i change the whole turbo setup in the future.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

shiv vishnu calls them a hot air intake but i think that's b.s. especially where i live.

Quick Reply: air intake (cone) or drop in high air flow filter??