Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

car losing power at 3000 rpm and above??? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2004, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car losing power at 3000 rpm and above??? HELP!

this has been happening for about a week or 2 now. i figured it was just the spark plugs(have 12,500 miles and i figured that's a lot for a turbo cars spark plugs) so i replaced the spark plugs with denzo (not sure of part number). but today i was driving to work in a 65 i was going 70 which put me around about 3000 rpms i think. anyway, it started again. even after the plugs. also my SAFC says that the mass air flow sensor isn't pulling as much air when this starts to happen. oh! and when it starts to happen i can just take my foot off the gas and re-apply about 3 seconds later and it's fine for about 15 seconds. anyway, my next guess is maybe it's the coil pack/packs... but if you have any advice i'd really appreciate it.

Ben
Old Nov 1, 2004, 01:09 PM

Any details/descriptions on how you're losing power?
Old Nov 2, 2004, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

Is it throwing any CEL's? What upgrades have you done? Did this happen all of a sudden or did you modify something then this occurred? More detail on the problem would help.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

check your hoses and piping... several people reported severe boost leaks around 3K due to loose connections in the piping. run a search for more info
Old Nov 2, 2004, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like the random multiple misfire phenomena.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Check your IC piping. Wouldn't the misfire send a CEL? Do you have a CEL? To me the symptoms match that of a leaky IC pipe.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by JoeWalker4G63
Check your IC piping. Wouldn't the misfire send a CEL? Do you have a CEL? To me the symptoms match that of a leaky IC pipe.
First off, thanks for everyones help. but my CEL was already on before this happened. but i had just installed the SSAUTOCHROME manifold and turbo outlet pipe. in the process of the install i hit the radiator so i also ended up installing a PWR radiator also. i did take off the lower IC piping when working on the manifold and turbo pipe install so i'll check those later today and let you guys know what happens.

i took my friend for a ride in it last night who is much more knowledgeable about cars and motors than i am and he said that it may be the fuel pump or filter that is making it run lean since it only happens at higher RPMs. He said something about if the fuel pump can't keep up (because it went bad as walboro pumps do sometimes) it could make the motor run lean which would make the ecu pull timing which would be the reason (i forgot to tell you guys about this) i'm getting really high EGT readings. but i'll try the IC pipes first. that'll be a lot easier than putting my stock fuel pump back in.

list of mods:
hks intake
hks exhaust and downpipe
perrin cat delete (could be the reason for the CEL) (i do have resistor in tho)
apexi SAFC
dynoflash mail in
SSAUTOCHROME exhaust mani and turbo outlet
hallman MBC
PWR radiator

i think thats it....

sorry for the long post... but thanks again for everyones help

Ben
Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:45 AM

You say the CEL was on before...

Do you have the code pulled yet? Your local PEP BOYS, Auto zone or similar will pull these for free and you don't have to see the dreaded dealership!

Once you have that let us or anyone here know. It will seriously narrow down your search. Also, you said you have the PERRIN™ Off-Road Pipe. What happened to the CEL fix that was included? You mention a resistor and that may not be adequate to fight the P0420 code.

Let us know how we may be able to help!

PERRIN Performance
tech@perrinperformance.com
Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by PERRIN TECH
Also, you said you have the PERRIN™ Off-Road Pipe. What happened to the CEL fix that was included? You mention a resistor and that may not be adequate to fight the P0420 code.
PERRIN Performance
tech@perrinperformance.com
That is what i meant by "resistor"... when i put the CEL fix thing on there it worked just fine so i don't see why it would be that. i think it's something else that is making my CEL come on. i will try going to pep boys or auto zone to see what the problem is later on today. thanks for your help!!

Ben