Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

SSAutoChrome Manifold and Performance Coatings Review

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
If you use an aftermarket gasket, you're on borrowed time.
sooo... i have this "friend"... NOT ME! that used the aftermarket gasket and i'm... I MEAN HE! was wondering why its not good... and what do you mean by "you're on borrowed time"?

Ben
Old Nov 5, 2004, 01:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
I used an aftermarket gasket only because I was in a bind, and I paid for it. The factory gasket is a solid piece of steel that has a raised lip, which is sandwiched firmly when crushed and acts as an o-ring of sorts.

The aftermarket gasket is a perforated item with a metallic coating. It is nowhere near as robust as the Mistu item, and I blew it out in about a month. When this gasket is on the way out, exhaust noise will increase and a loss in boost will be realized. When it finally gives, you'll know it. Meanwhile, the factory one looks virtually indestructable.

I'm one of several who has learned this the hard way.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 01:15 PM

so what you're saying is that you know not to use the gasket that comes with it from personal experience... well... that sucks.... should i just get another factory gasket or can i use the old factory gasket? i remember you saying something about a lip that crushes.. so i guess i should just get a new on huh? oh! and do you remember how much it costs for a new gasket?

Ben
Old Nov 5, 2004, 01:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Yes, I speak from personal experience, and one that I do not care to repeat.

Do not reuse the factory gasket. Buy a new one. It is only $8.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Ted B: Did you coat yours inside and out? I guess the oil return line that Zeus had a problem with is fine on yours. Since you didn't uninstall the turbo, you maybe stretching the oil line if the turbo were sitting higher like on Zeus's car, but you would probably never know it. I bought a new gasket, just didn't know if you could use the one that comes with it. I will use the new factory gasket.

Brian
Old Nov 5, 2004, 07:49 PM
EvoM Guru

I believe the coating I'm using is intended for the outside only. It isn't like paint, but forms an insulating layer some .015-.020" thick.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 08:48 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TURBODAWG
Ted B: Did you coat yours inside and out? I guess the oil return line that Zeus had a problem with is fine on yours. Since you didn't uninstall the turbo, you maybe stretching the oil line if the turbo were sitting higher like on Zeus's car, but you would probably never know it. I bought a new gasket, just didn't know if you could use the one that comes with it. I will use the new factory gasket.

Brian
I think I'm one of only a few people who had the problem... just like some didn't have the issue with installing the #3 tube flange nut. It's still a good enough piece that I'd recommend buying it if your in the market for such a thing. Esp. buying the one from SSAutoChrome if they still offer the lifetime warranty. There are so many clones/re-badged ones floating around now it is not even funny.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

I got one in last Thursday. I took it to www.calicocaotings.com yesterday. They are about 30 minutes from my house. They are coating the inside and outside with there ceramic coating. It is supposed to hold up to 1650F sustained and 1900 F peak. They have done a bunch of these turbo headers and have good success. I mentioned to the guy about the heat treating of the header to cook out the polishing compounds. He said, "we bake all the parts to 750F" before the apply the coating. He said they haven't had problems like that in the past. The due alot of work for the Nascar teams since they are 20 minutes from Concord, Moorseville area in NC, where alot of the Nascar teams are located.

Zeus, did you reuse the exhaust gasket where it bolts to the head or buy a new OE gasket?

Brian
Old Nov 6, 2004, 10:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I reused the original gaskets without issues. However, getting new OE gaskets is the best way. The ones that come with the manifold are crap!

Have them check the flanges to make sure they didn't warp them in the heating process.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 03:45 PM
EvoM Guru

FWIW, the coating I chose is different. It is comprised of actual layers of ceramic particles that are bonded to the surface. It isn't like paint or a luster finish - it doesn't come in different colors (ceramic is white), and it won't eventually flake off.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Well, yesterday I spent 12hrs installing parts on my EVO and on my friends STI. I had to fix my air leak that i am having from SSchrome on runer number 3.. There was no tool that can go all the way in and grap the screw all around so I MADE MY OWN TOOL .... Now I have no leaks and i thight it like it should be..
Attached Thumbnails SSAutoChrome Manifold and Performance Coatings Review-iamg_1955.jpg   SSAutoChrome Manifold and Performance Coatings Review-imag_1950.jpg   SSAutoChrome Manifold and Performance Coatings Review-imag_1952.jpg   SSAutoChrome Manifold and Performance Coatings Review-imag_1961.jpg   SSAutoChrome Manifold and Performance Coatings Review-imga_1945.jpg  

Old Nov 13, 2004, 07:50 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Not knocking you buy any means, but why didn't you just use the open end? That's what I ended up using with no leaks...
Old Nov 13, 2004, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

What are the 2 bungs for on the topside, can the factory headsheild be reinstalled over this?
Old Nov 13, 2004, 10:26 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by TheGVR4kid
What are the 2 bungs for on the topside, can the factory headsheild be reinstalled over this?
The anti-lag system offered on overseas models...

No sir...
Old Nov 13, 2004, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
Not knocking you buy any means, but why didn't you just use the open end? That's what I ended up using with no leaks...
The open side did not stop my leak and it got to the point where I was killing the screw. I don’t know how the open side worked for you but its a known thing (ALL my installations) that I use the closed side for ultimate grip and results... take a close look at yours is it leaking???

Quick Reply: SSAutoChrome Manifold and Performance Coatings Review