Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Need Help! Electronic issues

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help! Electronic issues

Ok so a little while ago my car got flooded. It wouldn't start, but after replacing the spark plugs (and gapping them of course) it ran fine. But then my car had been having starting issues, where i would turn the key and I would just hear a click from the engine bay and then the engine wouldn't even try to turn over. So I replaced my alternator and belt and the issue continued. I got my bettery tested twice by two different people and two different places and they said it was good. I then replaced my starter and the car would start fine but I was still having issues. At one point before I installed the new alternator, my car started to die as I was driving it. All the electronics started dimming then eventually shut off, my turbo timer would flicker on and off, and i couldnt even roll my windows up and down, and it got worse the car couldnt even accelerate sometimes, you could hear the turbo spooling but the car wouldnt go any faster. So I charged up that battery and it would work fine for a while but it just started doing it gain for a second time. Its getting to the point where Im afraid of driving it because I dont want to get stranded in the middle of no where. Does anyone know what is causing this? Bad battery wires? A Shortage? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well it sounds like you have more issues, caused by the flooding, to resolve. I'm surprised all you had to do was replace the spark plugs and off you went! How long did it sit after the flood? How bad was the damage inside & out?

All lights dimming etc....points to your alternator. Something is going on between your alternator and battery. The alternator should be charging the battery when you are driving around.

Seeing how you replaced it and you are now having the same issue, it could mean you purchased a faulty replacement alternator (it happens), battery has gone bad/is bad and not able to hold a charge or some other electrical gremlin, yet to be determined, is going on.... You've checked all fuses and wiring as best you can? No rust or burnt wiring?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 07:00 PM

Its the same problem as this: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ease-help.html

Now that I think of it, I was having starting issues before the flood. And it wasn't sitting very long. I just hit this huge pocket of water in the road that killed my car. I eventually just got the car started, drove it to my house, then went and got spark plugs with my other car, installed them and it started up and ran fine. All fuses were fine, but no I haven't checked the wiring. I'm thinking it could very well be the turbo timer that was installed by the previous owner. I was reading a bunch of threads of people having the same issue and that is what it turned out to be. I'm gonna check the wiring and turbo timer out tonight and then Ill give an update.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:41 AM

I unplugged the turbo timer and still having the problem, there's gotta be a massive grounding somewhere or like you said a faulty alternator. Im most likely just going to take it in to a mechanic to see if they can find out the issue.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

The shop can test your charging system in the car.

No CEL?

This is what his problem turned out to be in the thread you linked above.....

"Hm.. we discovered that with the key in the on position, the battery light doesn't light up as it should in hot conditions, so we took the cluster out and noticed that one of the pins on the harnesses wasn't touching so we fixed that up and the voltage seems fine now, but we'll have to see what happens tomorrow after parking it in the sun again.. it'd be weird if that simple of a problem was tripping out the whole electrical system. Thanks everyone for the advice and I'll continue to look into the problem if it persists
&
"Well.. solution found.. indeed it was the wiring behind the cluster for the battery light.. crazy how that made everything run like ****, future advice to other members, it's the small things that can cause the craziest issues and make you spend hundreds of dollars when its as simple of a fix as fixing a pin on a connector"

Check the cluster and see if the battery light turns on when you turn the key to ON, (don't crank motor). Then check behind the cluster.

GL!
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:15 AM

It ended up being the positive battery cable, thanks for the help.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 07:26 PM

Great job finding it out.