Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

ANNOUNCEMENT: DOUBLE DIN Kit fits Lancer 2002-2007

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need one also.. Yes to double din
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:54 AM

yes to double din
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
mods need to close this thread...
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Yes to double din kit
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:26 PM

Thank's cyanide & http://japanparts.com/db/partslist.p...ey=180-042-001
Attached Thumbnails ANNOUNCEMENT: DOUBLE DIN Kit fits Lancer 2002-2007-img_0420.jpg  
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here's proof for the doubters that I'm working on a CF faceplate for the radio location. I have the mold made, just need to clean it up a bit and start laying carbon. This will be a faceplate only, until I can find a way to get or make the clips to hold it in place on its own.
If anyone is interested in one, shoot me a PM and we can work out something. I'll post pics of the finished product by the weekend hopefully.

Last edited by wazzelby; Apr 11, 2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyoo
mods need to close this thread...
Don't worry... It'll happen... Someday...

What makes it funny is that people probably google, read the title and then just go to the last post. Looks like nobody has noticed that this thread is already 2+ years old... And the op hasn't replied...

Originally Posted by metalmaniac
Glad you liked it. Are those caribbeancustomdesigns decals?

Originally Posted by wazzelby
Here's proof for the doubters that I'm working on a CF faceplate for the radio location. I have the mold made, just need to clean it up a bit and start laying carbon. This will be a faceplate only, until I can find a way to get or make the clips to hold it in place on its own.
If anyone is interested in one, shoot me a PM and we can work out something. I'll post pics of the finished product by the weekend hopefully.

Good luck with that.

Just a tip...

The orbital 2 din trim is a bit bulky and sticks out a lot farther than the factory radio/hvac trim, so take that into account when making the clips. If you'll leave it as a faceplate, take into account border thickness so that it fades with the dash. JapanParts already has a stick-on with the "carbon look", item number 1105A-028-002, but it's really expensive.

Making it a faceplate might be easier if the person getting it has the means to cut the area from the factory radio/hvac trim, or if you plan to get the factory trim in, cut it yourself, and send it back with the faceplate part on.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cyanide
Good luck with that.

Just a tip...

The orbital 2 din trim is a bit bulky and sticks out a lot farther than the factory radio/hvac trim, so take that into account when making the clips. If you'll leave it as a faceplate, take into account border thickness so that it fades with the dash. JapanParts already has a stick-on with the "carbon look", item number 1105A-028-002, but it's really expensive.

Making it a faceplate might be easier if the person getting it has the means to cut the area from the factory radio/hvac trim, or if you plan to get the factory trim in, cut it yourself, and send it back with the faceplate part on.
Good point on the clips. I hadn't originally planned to make it clip by itself but that's still a possibility. I already took the thickness into account and have figured exactly where to cut it so it sits nice and tight on the dash. That's a good idea to get stock faceplates and pre-cut them and attach the CF. ALthough, that would definitely make the price jump. I was thinking of doing a simple "injection mold" of the clips and attaching them to the back. Or if I could find a bulk of plastic clips similar to the ones used... Still working that part out. But I was hoping to make these for under $75 each. Hopefully closer to $60. Just enough to cover the cost of materials and a little for my time.
I wasn't planning on starting a business or anything, just making a few for those that want one. There seems to be a lot of talk about how many people want one, but can't find them for a decent price.
Also, I'm working on acquiring a standard double din faceplate (like the ones at japanparts.com) and molding one of those too. That one would be a ton easier to add clips to.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wazzelby
Good point on the clips. I hadn't originally planned to make it clip by itself but that's still a possibility. I already took the thickness into account and have figured exactly where to cut it so it sits nice and tight on the dash. That's a good idea to get stock faceplates and pre-cut them and attach the CF. ALthough, that would definitely make the price jump. I was thinking of doing a simple "injection mold" of the clips and attaching them to the back. Or if I could find a bulk of plastic clips similar to the ones used... Still working that part out. But I was hoping to make these for under $75 each. Hopefully closer to $60. Just enough to cover the cost of materials and a little for my time.
I wasn't planning on starting a business or anything, just making a few for those that want one. There seems to be a lot of talk about how many people want one, but can't find them for a decent price.
Also, I'm working on acquiring a standard double din faceplate (like the ones at japanparts.com) and molding one of those too. That one would be a ton easier to add clips to.
You would need one awesome glue or epoxy to be able to attach the clips and they don't fall off. Injection molding for that might bring up your costs, so that might not be a good idea.

What I meant by using the factory trim was that the buyer sends it to you, you modify it and send it back with the faceplate. That way nobody spends a dime on parts.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

Not a bad idea. I'll definitely consider it. THanks!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

In for a kit when they're ready!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

im shocked people are still coming to this thread thinking someone is actually going to or already producing a double din kit ....
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
nevermind

Last edited by vmrevo9; Apr 30, 2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by donmeca2020
im shocked people are still coming to this thread thinking someone is actually going to or already producing a double din kit ....
At least posting and dreaming comes free...
Old May 7, 2012, 02:49 PM

In on the double din!

Quick Reply: ANNOUNCEMENT: DOUBLE DIN Kit fits Lancer 2002-2007