Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Evo IX The shop built 2.3L Super99 Magnus v5 E85 Wastegate pressure

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 06:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Evo IX The shop built 2.3L Super99 Magnus v5 E85 Wastegate pressure

Im posting this because theres not much results out for this turbo. It sucks because we ran into major fuel issues with this car and had to stop the tuning, so it is what it is here, but it shows the potential of the turbo and the spool is not all that bad as you would expect it to be from a 100lb/min+ t3 turbo. Mivec certainly helps.

Me and Freddy both dialed the car in to drive like stock also with such a big drag setup like this. Its amazing what we can do these days with setups that are so big you wonder how the car can even idle proper.

Freddy is a DIY guy and he liked to play around with the tune almost as much as me, so i let him have some fun, and i made final adjustments.

While its not a 100% good example of what the super 99 is really capable of, it does show it has great potential.

We attempted to turn the boost up behind wastegate pressure and the injector duty cycle instantly surpassed 100% in evoscan. One run around 110%, so we did not proceed further from there on out.

We are putting the car back on 93octane and i will share 93oct results with track times.

The mod list on this car is as follows:

The Shop Built 2.3: Manley Crank, Turbo Tuff Rods and JE 9:1 pistons, ARP Throughout
English Racing Stage 3 Head, Kiggly Valve springs, Kiggly Oil Restrictor, New OEM Lifters, GSC stock size Valves
GSC S3 Mivec cams\ Modified MIVEC By English Racing
L19 head Studs
Forced Performance Super99 Turbo Kit, Shearer FF Manifold, Tial 44mm WG
BR FMIC W/ All 2.5 inch piping
Tial 50mm BOV
Custom 1/2 Radiator, STM Fan, 12an fitting throughout
Magnus V5 Intake Manifold w/ phenolic spacer
Mil.spec 65mm Throttle Body
AEM Fuel Rail
ID2000 injectors
BR Double Pumper: modded Walbro 255 lph primary/ Walbro E85 450 lph Secondary
Zeitronix LCD wideband
Evo 9 ECU, Omni 4 Bar Map Sensor, GM AIT sensor
Sparktech COP CDi12 Ignition
BR mini battery kit
QM Twin Clutch (older 6 leg version)
RRT built Evo IX 5-spd transmission w/ 4.0 Final Drive
Shep Stage III T-Case w/ Quaife:
Custom 3in V-band exhaust
Hallman Manual Boost Controller

The graph: Keep in mind AFR is not optimum, and boost creeped uncontrollably to 38-39psi. The red line at lower RPM was caused by shock/motion sensor from SSD protection on the laptop.

Heres a closer to final result with 3* less timing then what's shared above. This is also after we turned off SSD shock protection on the laptop.

RPM scrambled a tad uptop, and attempted to ruin the graph, but you get the idea. We never added the timing back after seeing it was running

out of fuel at this point. This graph has mivec adjustments also, and slight fueling also.

Last edited by tscompusa; Dec 4, 2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks Tom, This was my first time trying remote tuning and I also wanted to try the stock ecu for a few reasons. Tom had good luck tuning my old car after I sold it, so I reached out to him see if he wanted to try my current evo. Tom is very meticulous and knowledgeable of the stock ecu for sure.

I have to say the Super 99 surprised me on how fast it spooled (the 2.3 and Mivec dont hurt). We tried to turn up the boost but the car went lean on a half pull, and injector duty cycle hit 115%. To run the super 99 what Robert at FP built it for I have to upgrade my stock fuel feed and return line LOL.

Now back to 93 octane to enjoy the car and hopefully run in the 140 MPH zone at full weight.

Last edited by Freddy302; Dec 3, 2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bet it pulls like a freight train!

Last edited by Maddball; Dec 3, 2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gonna be a wild ride! street tuning that is a little difficult i bet...
Old Dec 4, 2013, 04:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Freddy302
Thanks Tom, This was my first time trying remote tuning and I also wanted to try the stock ecu for a few reasons. Tom had good luck tuning my old car after I sold it, so I reached out to him see if he wanted to try my current evo. Tom is very meticulous and knowledgeable of the stock ecu for sure.

I have to say the Super 99 surprised me on how fast it spooled (the 2.3 and Mivec dont hurt). We tried to turn up the boost but the car went lean on a half pull, and injector duty cycle hit 115%. To run the super 99 what Robert at FP built it for I have to upgrade my stock fuel feed and return line LOL.

Now back to 93 octane to enjoy the car and hopefully run in the 140 MPH zone at full weight.
Thanks Freddy. Pleasure working with you. 93oct will be fun.

Thanks for the kind words!
Old Dec 4, 2013, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just install a inline bosch 044 under the hood on a Hobbs switch. A very easy install compared to doing the full feed and return line. This will at least show if the car needs the line upgrade or that 450 just can't keep up.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 05:03 AM
Former Sponsor

I updated the thread with a better graph closer to the end. the only difference is its got 3 deg less uptop (11*) vs the other 2 runs shared.

Mivec tweaked and fuel also. the spool curve is not bad at all it's a huge turbo and its hitting at 5500RPM hard even when not starting the pull until 4500RPM.

also 3rd gear which is a major factor in spool.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Awesome. Just what I was looking for. What kind of a/r is this running? What base fuel pressure are you running? Seems like the car is out of pump, lines will definitely clear it up a bit so would switching to a big external pump and one intake
Old Dec 6, 2013, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
-8 feed and -6 return line combined with the addition of another Walbro 450 in the place of the 255 will provide the fuel you need on E85. On paper that's enough pump to fuel 1000awhp on a Mustang dyno.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 02:33 PM
Former Sponsor

super99 FTMFW
Old Dec 6, 2013, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Will you be running the same wastegate spring pressure on 93? Looks very good.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

What made you switch from AEM to stock ecu. Its going to be handfull on 93, nevermind on E85.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lexus01IS
What made you switch from AEM to stock ecu. Its going to be handfull on 93, nevermind on E85.
Well you live in CT, I have to go through emission and it wont pass with the AEM So I needed a tune to drive and go through emissions. Tom was nice enough to help me out with this.

The Stock ecu is blah.. not for me I have been racing for too long. I like direct control of fuel and precision of timing. At this Horsepower level I don't feel comfortable having to try and trick the Stock ECU. I'm gonna go back to the AEM but the V2 this time since it had even more control then the V1.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:16 PM
Former Sponsor

I think for a whopping 24hrs you wanted to keep the stock ecu in there and not go back to the AEM. Then after we talked more i kind of talked you out of the stock ecu without even trying to haha.

I'll still be making some very fast passes on the stock ecu before i remove it in my personal car, but for large setups it is superior over the stock ecu no doubt. more logger resolution, more precise timing increment adjustments, full wideband o2 feedback. The list goes on and on.

Email me for v2 if you need pricing.

Originally Posted by lude2evo
Awesome. Just what I was looking for. What kind of a/r is this running? What base fuel pressure are you running? Seems like the car is out of pump, lines will definitely clear it up a bit so would switching to a big external pump and one intake
I'm not sure on that answer. Freddy will have to answer that.

Last edited by tscompusa; Dec 8, 2013 at 01:25 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 03:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lexus01IS
On 93octane, I'm willing to bet it would be more of a handful with a 6266 on it because it will spool faster and make considerable more torque throughout the powerband. With this big of a turbo it needs boost and rpm to show its worth. That's why E85.

Quick Reply: Evo IX The shop built 2.3L Super99 Magnus v5 E85 Wastegate pressure