Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

TSCOMPtuned Built & Tuned - Stock Block MAP EF 2.5 S3 93oct @ 21.8psi

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2013, 09:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
TSCOMPtuned Built & Tuned - Stock Block MAP EF 2.5 S3 93oct @ 21.8psi

I picked this car up from a local customer to do a lot of mechanical work on it. The car was bone stock when I got it and I had added the following performance mods to it aside from a Apexi safc & hallman mbc & an unknown 3" TBE;

Map EF 2.5 turbo ported & coated
Map o2 eliminator downpipe dumped open
FIC 1100cc injectors
Walbro 255 punched / modded
Curt Brown 70mm Intake
Curt Brown ported exhaust manifold
Full blown 70mm TB
GSC springs & retainers
GSC S3 cams
ETS FMIC 3.5"
ETS upper pipe
ETS lower pipe
ETS SD intake pipe
Crushed evo 9 BOV
Grimmspeed 3 port
ARP Standard headstuds

Non power maintenance i did was:

New Headgasket
New timing belt & balance shaft belt
New waterpump
New tensioner & pulleys
AEM Wideband gauge
Dimple drain plug magnet
Omnipower 4bar map
Gauge pod install
Ran all new vac lines + zipties + connectors
New oil filter
New brad penn 10w40 oil
Boost leak tested to 25psi
Converted vehicle to speed density via tephra v7

Now after all that was done i started to tune the car. This car runs a 3 port and a mbc to keep the boost curve nice and flat. it worked quite well with this car.

Not trusting the quality of fuel here i didn't push the car to its max. at 22psi it has a nice top end though. We will extract more later once i drop the car off to its owner and he fills up with his own local 93oct.

Overall the setup is very fun. it has low end kick and top end. 1-2nd gear are very responsive still like a stock turbo. It is a very fun setup to drive.

I avoided loading it up downlow. The turbo comes on hard if you start at 2000RPM it hit 20psi before 3700. This is something i wanted to avoid since its a stock block.

The pulls were done starting at 3100RPM.

difference between the two pulls is outside temperature. it was 20F cooler on the green line. temps were around 50F

Before & after of the engine bay:

After:

It doesn't even look like the same engine bay anymore! I am very meticulous & a clean freak and dirt doesn't last long around me even if its not my car.

-

To see more pictures of the car go here. I documented the build as i was doing it on my facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7302897&type=3

And heres a random video i made after firing it up not fully finished (the harness in the video was a jumper harness for the SAFC that used to be in the car).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Video before loading it on the trailer and delivering it to customer:

Last edited by tscompusa; Oct 23, 2013 at 02:23 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's awesome! LOL @ before and after engine bay, that's a nice clean up!!

I'm wondering, why S3 cams? Planning to go bigger turbo?
Old Oct 20, 2013, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good stuff! Now put your car together!
Old Oct 20, 2013, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off I'd like to thank Tom for everything he has done with the car and for me. He has gone above and beyond from day one with it! Couldn't be happier honestly. His goal is clearly to serve and that he did. People always say about his attention to detail but this shows it. I literally piled a ton of parts in my car and said have at lol.

Originally Posted by EvoIIIAj
That's awesome! LOL @ before and after engine bay, that's a nice clean up!!

I'm wondering, why S3 cams? Planning to go bigger turbo?
That and a couple other reasons. I'm not one to do things twice. I knew with the smaller turbo on the stock block I could make some peak power early if I wanted to so I figured why not shift the power band a little to the right. It seemed like a win win for me. It looks like it worked out pretty well up top.

Last edited by doober; Oct 20, 2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn clean my bay tom! my ****s damn near like the first pic, what was the best cleaner you used for grime and dirt?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
good stuff! Now put your car together!

AGREED! Cause I'm waitin on his a** to get his together so he can start my build LOL
Old Oct 21, 2013, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
that's interesting combo ,good work tom
Old Oct 21, 2013, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

is this thing gonna get an e-85 tune as well?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Is the hybrid boost control combo only for higher RPM transient response? (like the WGDC 100% under X load table)

I don't see how it is better than Ecu controlled boost if the solenoid is completely shut on spool up. I mean, you can't run more boost than a closed wastegate actuator line. Thanks for the answer
Old Oct 21, 2013, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Good work like always
Old Oct 21, 2013, 08:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by doober
First off I'd like to thank Tom for everything he has done with the car and for me. He has gone above and beyond from day one with it! Couldn't be happier honestly. His goal is clearly to serve and that he did. People always say about his attention to detail but this shows it. I literally piled a ton of parts in my car and said have at lol.

That and a couple other reasons. I'm not one to do things twice. I knew with the smaller turbo on the stock block I could make some peak power early if I wanted to so I figured why not shift the power band a little to the right. It seemed like a win win for me. It looks like it worked out pretty well up top.
Thanks Drew! Pleasure to work on your car and transform it into something much different! hope you enjoy!

All those mods added + it still drives like stock, but with way more response now. its interesting how S3 cams can be so responsive and not hurt low end spool on the smaller turbos, but on the 60lb/min~ turbos they seem to hurt spool quite a bit on 2.0L's.

Let me know what you think about the top end. rev it out to 7500 it will surprise you for being such a small turbo. it doesn't fall off uptop.

Originally Posted by mitsubeastlee
damn clean my bay tom! my ****s damn near like the first pic, what was the best cleaner you used for grime and dirt?
WD40 believe it or not can do it all. and the good thing about wd40 is, it will protect the car from rusting or building up any kind of surface rust because it is oil based.

Originally Posted by ReignMan24
AGREED! Cause I'm waitin on his a** to get his together so he can start my build LOL
You will be after my car. I have another local who im doing a full build also.

Originally Posted by needmoreboost!!
I do not believe so, but we will see. it would be potent on e85.

Originally Posted by domyz
Is the hybrid boost control combo only for higher RPM transient response? (like the WGDC 100% under X load table)

I don't see how it is better than Ecu controlled boost if the solenoid is completely shut on spool up. I mean, you can't run more boost than a closed wastegate actuator line. Thanks for the answer
3 port is to have full control over the boost curve.

-

Heres the final idle video i took before loading the car onto the trailer and dropping it off to the owner today.

As always, i made the SD very nice to drive. i placed the car on a hill and made sure i could take off with very light throttle and not get any kind of lean issues at 1100-1200 ish rpm which SD is very prone to do on evo 8's in particular.

Old Oct 21, 2013, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wd40 it is! i was using lysol it works great but i like the free from rust portion you mentioned now answer me on facebook!
Old Oct 21, 2013, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by needmoreboost!!
Not that I forsee. Nothing even close to local here. I would like to see what it could do though.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Great work Tom! The attention to detail makes a world of difference.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 12:27 AM

Tom I am still debating r2 or s3

However it seems like the s3 gives you more peak hp and keeps torque down for stock block.

Quick Reply: TSCOMPtuned Built & Tuned - Stock Block MAP EF 2.5 S3 93oct @ 21.8psi