Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

E-Spec tests the MAP Ef4 --- 600hp @30psi!!

Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbonetics Clutch Pro Blade

Originally Posted by cul8tr
Pharmecis test drove the car last night with the new clutch. The noise and vibration in the driveshaft is gone! Breaking in the clutch now. Will comment more on results next week.

Well E-Spec came down to DC this past weekend to touch up on the driveability and cold start below 2k rpm since the car drove perfectly above that and made big power. The Pro Blade clutch is plain awesome. It drives like a stock oem clutch. Very light pedal, No chatter, lightning quick shifting and no noise since it is a single disc clutch. You can tell because there is absolutely no resistence of the syncros catching up between shifts even a redline. If you are feeling the syncros you should slow down the shifts or you are just plain wearing out your tranny.

We took the twisty winding off camber hilly back roads around my house to test the response of the new turbo and 2.4 motor and gave big Erkel a nice scare in the process...lol. The car is scary fast in the mid range and much more responsive than a T3 based GT35R type turbo. I didn't need to floor the gas and wait for the turbo to catch up. The turbo was there even at half throttle. A very fun setup to drive with ***** on the top. However, an EF3 or FP Green would be better on a 2.0 motor.There is really no need for more power unless you are drag racing.

I am real happy with the results of the SD tune considering this car has big cams, big intake manifold, big Throttle Body, 2150cc injectors and a built head. It takes a lot of time (a total of approx. 6 hours driving on and off the gas under 2k rpm) and patience to get such a setup to run like this. E-Spec is the real deal. He was able to tune all areas of the stock ecu map with a fine tooth comb. Power is nothing without total ECU control. Definitely doesn't drive like an AEM Stand Alone ECU car. AEM is for race cars not street cars! I just wish ECU Flash had live tuning like AEM..ohh well.

Big Thanks Erkel for the Tune
and Big Thanks to Greg and Jason at UCS for the quick clutch install
Mike

Last edited by cul8tr; Dec 21, 2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My friend, it is very encouraging to see you having such great success with the EF4. It is also nice to see that you have such a support base and surrounded by quality people in your corner. With your 2.4L set up, what are your shift points when you are really putting the hammer down?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pure_evo
My friend, it is very encouraging to see you having such great success with the EF4. It is also nice to see that you have such a support base and surrounded by quality people in your corner. With your 2.4L set up, what are your shift points when you are really putting the hammer down?
Pure evo,

Thanks for the comments. The support base is good but Erkel had to drive all the way from New York to tune my car.
The reason why it too so long to tune the driveability is because I want to see if I could find flat spots in the map. I put the hammer down in 2nd , 3rd and 4th gear in different corners (fast sweepers and slow hairpins) and shifted at or near 7800-8000. Hard on the brakes downshift heel toe and on the gas part throttle up hills, down hills, off camber turns. I tried my best to trip it up. I guess I am a pretty tough customer. Most people dont drive like this in real life or they would be put in jail. Erkel kept grabbing the "ohh sh@#" handle...lol E-specs map is good. Most of the work was done on decel and tight 1st gear parking lot stuff. I even tried parking the car differently in different situations. It was a real workout of a tuning session. lol

Last edited by cul8tr; Dec 21, 2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Pure evo,

The reason why it too so long to tune the driveability is because I want to see if I could find flat spots in the map. I put the hammer down in 2nd , 3rd and 4th gear in different corners (fast sweepers and slow hairpins) and shifted at or near 7800-8000. Hard on the brakes downshift heel toe and on the gas part throttle up hills, down hills, off camber turns. I tried my best to trip it up. I guess I am a pretty tough customer. Most people dont drive like this in real life or they would be put in jail. Erkel kept grabbing the "ohh sh@#" handle...lol E-specs map is good. Most of the work was done on decel and tight 1st gear parking lot stuff. I even tried parking the car differently in different situations. It was a real workout of a tuning session. lol
I suck at heel-toe driving and would not even know how to start learning. I guess I am just chicken **** and do not want to break something. For the shift points, I was curious as I know you have a beast with the 2.4L and many swear that it reduces your RPM range. I see that is not totally true.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pure_evo
I suck at heel-toe driving and would not even know how to start learning. I guess I am just chicken **** and do not want to break something. For the shift points, I was curious as I know you have a beast with the 2.4L and many swear that it reduces your RPM range. I see that is not totally true.
In 95% of the cases, the 4G63 engine is not a Honda engine. It was not designed from the factory to rev to 9-10k rpm. It is happiest around 5-8500k RPM. Yes the 2.0 and destroker 2.1 engines are more peaky and best for top end power like drag racing. The 2.3 and 2.4's are more suitable for mid range punch and they tend to fall off on the top end depending on intake manifold, cam timing and cam selection. My setup is kind of the combination of the two. It also helps a ton with a big motor to up your final drive to a 4.10 to 1 ratio. It reduces the need to shift and makes your driving line smoother and easier to drive. If it was a race car it would have been built differently. This is a full weight street car with leather and A/C. lol

Last edited by cul8tr; Dec 21, 2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

If it was a race car it would have been built differently. This is a full weight street car with leather and A/C. lol
You mean if it was a race car it would have a built motor, wicked head, big *** turbo, shep upgraded transmission, tcase, rear diff, Ohlin suspension, front and rear sway bars, carbon clutch, magnus IM, tubular EM, 2 piece drive shaft, under fender welded in braces, 10" wide rims, Stoptech upgraded rotors and calipers...

WAIT, the car DOES HAVE ALL THAT!

Why? Race car!

Glad you are happy Mike!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PharmEcis
You mean if it was a race car it would have a built motor, wicked head, big *** turbo, shep upgraded transmission, tcase, rear diff, Ohlin suspension, front and rear sway bars, carbon clutch, magnus IM, tubular EM, 2 piece drive shaft, under fender welded in braces, 10" wide rims, Stoptech upgraded rotors and calipers...

WAIT, the car DOES HAVE ALL THAT!

Why? Race car!

Glad you are happy Mike!
Merry Christmas Greg....the wolf in sheeps clothing is out....lol
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

In 95% of the cases, the 4G63 engine is not a Honda engine. It was not designed from the factory to rev to 9-10k rpm. It is happiest around 5-8500k RPM. Yes the 2.0 and destroker 2.1 engines are more peaky and best for top end power like drag racing. The 2.3 and 2.4's are more suitable for mid range punch and they tend to fall off on the top end depending on intake manifold, cam timing and cam selection.
I have the usual parts for my build and a fan of the 2.3L. I appreciate your feedback as I am constantly learning. Personally, I have the EF3 and it is nice to see an EF4 with all of the bells and whistles as I can use it as comparison purposes.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Well E-Spec came down to DC this past weekend to touch up on the driveability and cold start below 2k rpm since the car drove perfectly above that and made big power. The Pro Blade clutch is plain awesome. It drives like a stock oem clutch. Very light pedal, No chatter, lightning quick shifting and no noise since it is a single disc clutch. You can tell because there is absolutely no resistence of the syncros catching up between shifts even a redline. If you are feeling the syncros you should slow down the shifts or you are just plain wearing out your tranny.

We took the twisty winding off camber hilly back roads around my house to test the response of the new turbo and 2.4 motor and gave big Erkel a nice scare in the process...lol. The car is scary fast in the mid range and much more responsive than a T3 based GT35R type turbo. I didn't need to floor the gas and wait for the turbo to catch up. The turbo was there even at half throttle. A very fun setup to drive with ***** on the top. However, an EF3 or FP Green would be better on a 2.0 motor.There is really no need for more power unless you are drag racing.

I am real happy with the results of the SD tune considering this car has big cams, big intake manifold, big Throttle Body, 2150cc injectors and a built head. It takes a lot of time (a total of approx. 6 hours driving on and off the gas under 2k rpm) and patience to get such a setup to run like this. E-Spec is the real deal. He was able to tune all areas of the stock ecu map with a fine tooth comb. Power is nothing without total ECU control. Definitely doesn't drive like an AEM Stand Alone ECU car. AEM is for race cars not street cars! I just wish ECU Flash had live tuning like AEM..ohh well.

Big Thanks Erkel for the Tune
and Big Thanks to Greg and Jason at UCS for the quick clutch install
Mike

Pure evo,

Thanks for the comments. The support base is good but Erkel had to drive all the way from New York to tune my car.

Thanks for the positive review!

We had a blast visiting your family up in VA. I'm happy that your dreams are finally coming to fruition.

You spent a ton of time "sketching out" your project,,,,,

Your past experiences with road racing meant you were sure of what you wanted,,,

Your "machine" was a pleasure to work with. I enjoy working with people who think out of the box and follow through with their plans,,,

And YES -- I thought i needed a fresh pair of underwear after our Touge Battle tuning session!!!

The wife and I decided to take the kids to see the White House afterwards... It was our first time there and added another "Degree" of fun factor to this past weekend!!

Last edited by E-Spec@Tach Motor Works; Dec 22, 2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

Mike says he's done racing. I'll believe that when I see a pig fly under his own power.

The best trophy there is the bigger one w/ the yellow ribbon. If I'm not mistaken that's our NASA TTR National Champion trophy we worked oh so hard for in '07!

Erkl, a couple more pics need the blur tool on some plates. Thanks for making Mike a happy camper, we both know how picky he is!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by PharmEcis
Mike says he's done racing. I'll believe that when I see a pig fly under his own power.

The best trophy there is the bigger one w/ the yellow ribbon. If I'm not mistaken that's our NASA TTR National Champion trophy we worked oh so hard for in '07!

Erkl, a couple more pics need the blur tool on some plates. Thanks for making Mike a happy camper, we both know how picky he is!
NINJA BLUR!!!

I saw the Redline Time Attack photo in the winner's circle with David Buschur and others, Mike has quite a few accomplishments under his belt!! NO WAY he gives it up,,,,, Why? >> Because "RaceCar"
Old Dec 22, 2011, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Next year people in street class are so screwed in any TA events on the eastern seaboard!