Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

FP Black Q16 635hp/640tq

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2009, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up FP Black Q16 635hp/640tq

I have no idea any of the specs on this car, but i found it on youtube and thought i'd share it with other members on here who i know are curious on FP BLack results

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yibnlx3anJY

By the way 640 tq must be a total monster and a definet BIG TURBO killer with the quick spool
Old Nov 1, 2009, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

I think this vid was already posted bud. But good looking out.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

lol, yeah this is the third repost that I've seen this week.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 09:18 AM
Former Sponsor

That's our shop car, I used to drive it a lot, but now it is just stupid. We ran it on C16 for this trip. It is above 400ftlb by 3600rpm and above 500ftlb by 3900rpm and above 600ftlb by 4200rpm and crests 640 by 4600rpm.

First off, since this is my own car, I built it to suit me, and I like them stout in the lower RPM, I like tq, I dont like down shifting, I like to drive them "Tow Truck" style. But still the power stays above 600whp for over 2500rpm stretch from 5k to 7500 where I shut it down most of the time. Reving out farther than that starts to find the limitations of the stroker with stock manifolds and 3" exh system etc. This car also doenst have a external dump for the WG gas, so all the gas has to fit down the DP, not just the turbine gas, but the turbine gas and the WG gas must fit and this does generate some high pressures in the DP itself which is actually kind of a problem with my setup as it sits right now.

Some car specs:
2.3 bottom end 9:1 compression
stock head with stock valves and 5R cams and kiggly springs
Modified and ported stock intake manifold
stock exh manifold
Works O2 housing and DP with 44mm TiAl gate attached to help reduce DP pressure buildup at these higher boost pressures.
Buschur FMIC

Course lots of other non stock parts like windshield wiper fluid etc, but none that are really relevant I think. We do use a Motec M800 box since we have such a large need for data acquisition during our tuning and testing and need so many additional temp and pressure sensors that are non standard, the only way to collect it all is with e M800 box and a E888 expansion logging box piggy backed on.

One of the most surprising things to come out of our recent testing was the observation that at g force of .6 or greater during acceleration you loose oil pressure due to all the oil moving to the backside of the motor rather than being in the pan. This does cause a spike in the temperature of the thrust bearing itself (yes, we have thermocouples inside the turbo, I know we are total dorks!). Not a good thing, not sure what to recommend as a fix for end users at this point, but this turbo will exceed .6g forward acceleration with ease, so it will be something that needs to be addressed just like the road course guys have to deal with it for hard right handers due to the same reason. Anyone launching this hard has trouble like this with oil pressure when the g force gets this high and stays there, even if he doesnt know it yet

But anyway, not going to get it to the track until we work on the oil pickup (dont have a cage anyway). But we might run it over to a dynojet this week without changing anything and see how different the mustang reads from the dynojet just for grins.

If you want to run this turbo at low boost, you are welcome to do it, but you wont make this kind of power. We already have good turbos for lower boost pressures, the 73HTA Green and the 76HTA Red do a great job delivering less airflow and less power than this 82HTA Black. Obviously the point of the Black is to "push harder".

BOOSTON!
Robert

Last edited by ForcedPerformance; Nov 2, 2009 at 10:45 AM. Reason: add dyno graph
Old Nov 1, 2009, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ForcedPerformance
That's our shop car, I used to drive it a lot, but now it is just stupid. We ran it on C16 for this trip. It is above 400ftlb by 3600rpm and above 500ftlb by 3900rpm and above 600ftlb by 4200rpm and crests 640 by 4600rpm.

First off, since this is my own car, I built it to suit me, and I like them stout in the lower RPM, I like tq, I dont like down shifting, I like to drive them "Tow Truck" style. But still the power stays above 600whp for over 2500rpm stretch from 5k to 7500 where I shut it down most of the time. Reving out farther than that starts to find the limitations of the stroker with stock manifolds and 3" exh system etc. This car also doenst have a external dump for the WG gas, so all the gas has to fit down the DP, not just the turbine gas, but the turbine gas and the WG gas must fit and this does generate some high pressures in the DP itself which is actually kind of a problem with my setup as it sits right now.

Some car specs:
stock exh manifold
Works O2 housing and DP with 44mm TiAl gate attached to help reduce DP pressure buildup at these higher boost pressures.
Buschur FMIC

Course lots of other non stock parts like windshield wiper fluid etc, but none that are really relevant I think. We do use a Motec M800 box since we have such a large need for data acquisition during our tuning and testing and need so many additional temp and pressure sensors that are non standard, the only way to collect it all is with e M800 box and a E888 expansion logging box piggy backed on.

One of the most surprising things to come out of our recent testing was the observation that at g force of .6 or greater during acceleration you loose oil pressure due to all the oil moving to the backside of the motor rather than being in the pan. This does cause a spike in the temperature of the thrust bearing itself (yes, we have thermocouples inside the turbo, I know we are total dorks!). Not a good thing, not sure what to recommend as a fix for end users at this point, but this turbo will exceed .6g forward acceleration with ease, so it will be something that needs to be addressed just like the road course guys have to deal with it for hard right handers due to the same reason. Anyone launching this hard has trouble like this with oil pressure when the g force gets this high and stays there, even if he doesnt know it yet

But anyway, not going to get it to the track until we work on the oil pickup (dont have a cage anyway). But we might run it over to a dynojet this week without changing anything and see how different the mustang reads from the dynojet just for grins.

If you want to run this turbo at low boost, you are welcome to do it, but you wont make this kind of power. We already have good turbos for lower boost pressures, the 73HTA Green and the 76HTA Red do a great job delivering less airflow and less power than this 82HTA Black. Obviously the point of the Black is to "push harder".

BOOSTON!
Robert
ive been hearing about this turbo, whats the 411 on it? its been the talk for a lil bit, but when i check your site, i dont find anything?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice post Robert. A couple of weeks ago, I talked to CWILL about the oil pick up. I think he may have a solution so CWILL, if you're on here, post up. This turbo is going to be a nightmare for big turbo's on the street. Just about perfect to be a street sweeper. We were going to take ours to the track, but Tony decided to get engaged Friday night. By the way Robert, nice job on the 5R's. It's about time you tried your own 'big boys' out.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 09:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Engaged!?!? Another one bites the dust J/K Congratulations Tony!

Yes, I really love these 5R grinds, freaking move some air! I was surprised that our spool actually got BETTER with them in the car, go figure.

CWILL, talk abou the oil pickup ideas, all ears my friend

BenJ, sorry for the annoying reposting whomever is responsible for multiple postings of this vid should be shot at once! hee hee!

jmcmill3 : not on the site yet, but almost. Still working out boxing and mundane stuff like that, they'll be shipping soon for those of you that have called in and ordered them already! I should have a product page up on monday or tuesday with some basic info and pics etc.

I really look forward to seeing Tony run the car with this setup on it. Tom if you want to post up any of your testing results with the turbo, be my guest!

(cant bring myself to say Cheers)
Robert
Old Nov 1, 2009, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Engaged!?!? Another one bites the dust J/K Congratulations Tony!

Yes, I really love these 5R grinds, freaking move some air! I was surprised that our spool actually got BETTER with them in the car, go figure.

CWILL, talk abou the oil pickup ideas, all ears my friend

BenJ, sorry for the annoying reposting whomever is responsible for multiple postings of this vid should be shot at once! hee hee!

jmcmill3 : not on the site yet, but almost. Still working out boxing and mundane stuff like that, they'll be shipping soon for those of you that have called in and ordered them already! I should have a product page up on monday or tuesday with some basic info and pics etc.

I really look forward to seeing Tony run the car with this setup on it. Tom if you want to post up any of your testing results with the turbo, be my guest!

(cant bring myself to say Cheers)
Robert
thanks for the quick response, i like to do my research before i buy, so that i buy once. ill be looking out for the specs. i think my car is asking me for that turbo, lol.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 09:49 AM

The oil pickup solution is something the DSM big hp guys been doing for years. Making a cradle around the oil-pickup so no oil-sloshes around/moves away from the pickup has been around for years. I wonder if there would be a market for something like this. Im sure Dave and some others whos been in the game for a long time already has this done to their own and possibly others.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 09:55 AM
Account Disabled

Man talk about tq. Lol
Old Nov 1, 2009, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
We ran into the oil pickup problem on our drag cars. The cause is of course the oil pickup being uncovered so you have to have a deeper sump and longer pickup to keep it buried all the time. The Moroso pan for the 1G and the Evo seem to be the ticket, though our first pan on the Evo was a modded stocker.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Unless i miss, how much boost youre running?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Here's a few pics, links and log shots of various pulls when we did the initial tuning.

This is a pic of the 38 psi pull.

40 psi:

Last edited by 9sec9; Nov 1, 2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Log shot showing the previously mentioned wheelspin at peak torque.(5650-6500)

Last edited by 9sec9; Nov 1, 2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Some car specs:
stock exh manifold
Buschur FMIC

BOOSTON!
Robert
What kind of boost were u guys running on that dyno run? And holy crap by the way 635/640 and on a MUSTANG dyno here i am thinking Dynojet

BTW AWD motosports also had similar issues with oil pressure and launching gforces when they ran their 6765 @ Buschur Shootout. Ask Mike about the issue i know he found a solution for his problem

Quick Reply: FP Black Q16 635hp/640tq