Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Tomei ARMS turbo = not awesome at all

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:58 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tomei ARMS turbo = not awesome at all

we just had a client come to us this week for a nice install..

was an evo ix 45K miles.... had cobb stage 1 flash... catback and intake... at 18psi it baselined at 230/228 at the wheels..

we installed some 2 piece PF front rotors, rear rotors, lines etc... and then did some power mods..

He had the tomei turbo in his possession.... we took a peak at it.. turbine looked nice, and so did the comp cover.. and it came with all the banjo bolts etc.... extremely well packaged..

we added an invidia o2 housing, invidia catback, resonated test pipe, perrin EBCS, removed the cobb AP, added 780 injectors, our CBRD fmic and LICP, and threw her on the dyno...

final results...

321whp/305 wtq at 26 psi...

very very dissapointing.... boost was nice flat at peak torque with about 3 psi of taper.. timing was good, afr normal... just couldnt get any power out of it...

ill post plots later...

i was dissapointed after seeing how awesome the comp cover looked on the thing....

we will be switching it out to something else soon and making some good power.

here ya go!

the dyno plot!

base runs were on the cobb stage 1 flash

Name:  TOMEI.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  66.3 KB

cheers

cb

Last edited by CBRD; Aug 6, 2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CBRD
we just had a client come to us this week for a nice install..

was an evo ix 45K miles.... had cobb stage 1 flash... catback and intake... at 18psi it baselined at 230/228 at the wheels..

we installed some 2 piece PF front rotors, rear rotors, lines etc... and then did some power mods..

He had the tomei turbo in his possession.... we took a peak at it.. turbine looked nice, and so did the comp cover.. and it came with all the banjo bolts etc.... extremely well packaged..

we added an invidia o2 housing, invidia catback, resonated test pipe, perrin EBCS, removed the cobb AP, added 780 injectors, our CBRD fmic and LICP, and threw her on the dyno...

final results...

321whp/305 wtq at 26 psi...

very very dissapointing.... boost was nice flat at peak torque with about 3 psi of taper.. timing was good, afr normal... just couldnt get any power out of it...

ill post plots later...

i was dissapointed after seeing how awesome the comp cover looked on the thing....

we will be switching it out to something else soon and making some good power.

cheers

cb

Im not really suprised.. I havent seen anything exciting out of these turbos other than appearance and packaging.. Atleast compared to what else is out there now from FP and Blouch..

Mike
Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:05 AM
Account Disabled

yeah we are going to be putting a BBK on it and doing a back to back test...

we spent over a year developing and testing our BBK.... and it took us a bit to find the right combination...

the tomei looks like ur basic 20G with a different turbine.

cb
Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Thats dissapointing The price was right and the included install kit was a really nice bonus (hint hint CBRD and FP)!
Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for sheading some light on this turbo,some guys down south(FL) have been having some decent luck with it but nothing spectacular. Coming alot of other vendors on here(especially on that sells a direct competitor to the Tomei ARMS) i would call BS....but your shop seems like a no BS kinda place

thanks for the testing,im curious to see how the BBK will stack up to it on the dyno
Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:28 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Can't wait to see the graphs, man what a let-down. I'm a huge fan of the BBK but it sucks to see this because I know others will get it just because of the price/name/etc. I'm excited to see the back-to-back. Part of me hopes its an issue with the car, but then again another part of me wants to see the BBK kick the tomei's ****.

Thanks for the straight-up info Chad. Maybe you should get your hands on an HTA-green and do a real back-to-back-to-back while you're at it. I know that's the other major player in this category right now (unless you went way too far and added MAP's SST into the mix).
Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets look on the brightside........it sure is pretty sitting in that engine bay!!! The temps around here are nice and cool today as well. Not humid at all. Those #'s suck for a "semi-stock appearing turbo" on Chads dyno at 26psi.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:19 PM
Account Disabled

it had the big garrett core 3.8" fmic, so heatsoak wasnt an issue...

granted he is 100whp up over his before graph!

we did a pressure test and checked everything...

honestly i dont think its a great turbo...

cb

id gladly tune an FP HTA green, we've never knocked fp's products... they work well, we just do our own thing!
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

id like to see the dyno plots.... very sad results tho! hmmm
Old Aug 6, 2009, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

I was looking into getting a new turbo and have been really eyeing up the bbk full. Then I started seeing everyone talk about and sell the tomei so it would be real interesting to see a back to back. CBRD, which cams do you recommend running with the BBK full? I'm looking to be at around 450 whp on a dyno jet with as much torque as possible with a stock like spool. I'm leaning heavily to the BBK right now. Let me know what you think.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

When you talk about power are you talking about HP?
I know FP are made for up top power.

If you're looking for HP then yes, you'll probably get disappointed with Tomei.

Last edited by roger smith; Aug 6, 2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

You sell your own brand turbo, so it would be good for you to get the customer to buy your turbo ($). Unless you post the full logs showing everything, then your back to back test will be worth a grain of salt. I understand if you would not want to do this, and most tuners probably wouldn't, but I just couldn't believe your information due to the conflict of interest.
I have no interest in either turbo, but I just wanted to point this fact out to other members who are interested.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 02:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by roger smith
When you talk about power are you talking about HP?
I know FP are made for up top power.

If you're looking for HP then yes, you'll probably get disappointed with Tomei.
99% of people look for HP with a Turbo Upgrade.. I dont think too many people will spend 1700.00 to swap a IX turbo and make less HP..

Its a combination of Both... The RED for example will make the most PEAK HP yet will be laggier than a Green or BBK.. There is always a tradeoff for HP or Spool..

Mike

Last edited by AWD Motorsports; Aug 6, 2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Something seems off to me, I have not been disappointed thus far with the TOMEI ARMS turbo, I made 405whp on 93 octane 26psi with leaking valves, I'll have more results up soon when the head is fixed....and the person who bought diirks turbo made 420whp on 24 psi, I think there might be another issue here.

I'm not knocking on you guys because you are a great company but I don't see any data just words. I'm sure you might post a graph up later but this is far from a crappy turbo, again no disrespect to anyone just my opinion.

Last edited by aka.ralliart15; Aug 6, 2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
this is a BS thread. sorry but its always best to look at successful results for comparisons sake. there is yet only one successful Tomie turbo results. the guy was making good power on the FP green at 455whp. then he bolted in the Tomie and made another 25+ whp. those are the results to look for. hell a resonated test pipe can pinch 40 hp on setups.

this is just a decent vender who is happy to post unsuccessful results of a competitors turbo to make the one he sells look good. The BBK by the way has horrible track results that speak for themselves. I think the highest trap on a BBK is 123. nothing short of pathetic.

Quick Reply: Tomei ARMS turbo = not awesome at all