Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

BBK / MAP Stg3 head /DB Performance tuning Dyno Results! Pump Gas & Alky!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2009, 07:22 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
BBK / MAP Stg3 head /DB Performance tuning Dyno Results! Pump Gas & Alky!

CAUTION!!! DYNO DYNAMICS NUMBERS BELOW! A typical MBC/TBE/Tune IX will make 290whp and with full bolt-ons and stock turbo will be about 320whp! We have consistently seen a 16-18% difference between this dyno and a local AWD dynojet! These are UNCORRECTED numbers, it was about 65° outside and 80-85° in the dyno bay.

First off THANK YOU SHANE @ DB Performance for the insanely great job tuning. Every time my car comes off the rollers it just feels like a different animal on the street. Power delivery is not as peaky and much more smooth, and peak numbers are always higher than when it came in. Most importantly, it's a SAFE tune! So common to see detarded timing numbers on pump gas or E85/alky setups that may have worked when first on the dyno but not on the street day in/day out.

Second, thanks to MAP for committing to a schedule with me and sticking to it. The last thing I wanted to do was pull my head off and let it sit in their shop for weeks and weeks on end, so I was able to get in line for bob's porting magic and keep my car on the road! I checked in every week or so to get a feel of when it would be, and ended up pulling my head off on a Friday night (with my wife LOL!) delivering my stock head to them Saturday, check out the new core that was almost done being ported, and then picked it up from them monday (the swapped over my springs into the new head for me), and had the car buttoned up and running on tuesday. It got a little intense, but it honestly couldn't have gone better. The port work is top notch and the graphs below back up the work.

So, my car has been nothing but trouble in the past 4 months. First it was down on power, then when I got the power back the HG let go, and while I've managed to keep it on the street most of the time I'm glad I got it back to where I wanted it now.

Final mod list as it sits:
Buschur Racing 3" TBE w/ bullet testpipe
Buschur Racing Intake w/Perrin filter
BR Race FMIC
Custom LICP
BR Upper IC Pipe
OEM IX BOV
AMS/TMS L19 headstuds
MAP Stage 3 Ported Head
Kelford 272 cams
GSC beehive valve springs
BR Ported/Coated Exhaust Mani
CBRD BBK turbo
MAP ported/coated turbine housing
BR SS O2 Housing
BR Ported Intake Manifold w/ EGR delete
BR 65MM TB
Walbro 255HP fuel pump
4x Kracka Vent setup w/ ebay catch-can
Buschur dipstick retention spring
Aquamist HFS-1 Alky Injection Kit (1.0 + .9mm jets)
FIC 1050cc injectors
GM BCS
Evo X MAP sensor
Innovative LC-1
GM IAT
Tephra v7t6 ROM w/EGT Elim, Direct boost mods

First up, pump gas numbers: best: 388whp/342wtq The last few runs were right around 385whp, so we'll call it average of 385whp/340wtq

This is holding 25psi to ~6400rpms, tapering to 24psi @8000rpms, AFR's 11.2-11.0.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eXi5do4Uvg

On the IX turbo the car made ~330whp/300wtq. I made 375whp/323wtq at our spring dyno day, but if you look at the graph there was a small peak, so average power/tq was about 368whp/320wtq. This is exactly what I expected out of the BBK. Now, the car was NEVER FULLY TUNED on that setup, so we'll honestly never know if tuning or the ported head (IMHO it's both) bumped power up to where it is now, ~385whp/340wtq. On pump gas, the car feels like a new animal on the streets! Power everywhere and the just wants to go go go go!

After a short break, it was time to flip the alky back on. I really haven't ran it since the spring dyno day, my car just PUKED coolant everywhere due to the HG issue. I have basically been limping the car by running just pump gas, no alky/high boost for the past 7 weeks and honestly I have been considering just leaving the alky off forever. The car is so fun, I could rip it out and use the money towards an orbital double din kit or some such nonsense.

Weellllllll, needless to say IDK if that will happen Alky on, 25psi (same tables as pump gas), the car made 396whp, first run. Each run shane tweaked timing and finally we turned boost back up when Jim (TalonEvo) showed up. Thanks guys for giving me the confidence in my new setup! It was just epic. Next run 399 (shane had been giving me **** over this number). Then 406. Then 411. Then 416. Then 420. Then 426. Then 431.2. Then 431.9. Then finally 432.6! Peak boost was a tad over 30psi, AFR's in the mid to high 11's.

Mid-tuning video, check out the flames!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyG0I2HSck4

Here's the best run: 432whp/394wtq !!!

Here's boost curve w/ rpm--we kept loosing tach signal mid-pull:

Video from the 432whp pulls (that's TalonEvo in the green giving me the thumbs up!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_bJ3St9xdU

Since I've had issues in the past, I wanted a little extra safety in this tune, so after all was said and done, shane pulled out 2°*of timing across the board and the car left with 420whp.

Who needs a big turbo or E85 to make power? Not me! THANK YOU everyone who has helped me with this car! I'm not going to lie--it's had it's share of issues, and I'm sure it will continue to do so, but I'm SO SO SO happy with it!
Old Jul 1, 2009, 07:33 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice powa. I'll bet she feels like a monster now.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 07:47 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
glad you like it....

its a great punchy little turbo like a IX with steroids

cheers

cb
Old Jul 1, 2009, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

nice man enjoy
Old Jul 1, 2009, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Nice results man! Good move on the safety margin! People should tune the cars the way they drive them and stop chasing dyno numbers!

Enjoy!!!
Old Jul 1, 2009, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Great numbers man.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 10:14 AM

love the build, keep it up
Old Jul 1, 2009, 10:57 AM
EvoM Moderator

Thanks for the nice comments guys

Originally Posted by CBRD
glad you like it....

its a great punchy little turbo like a IX with steroids

cheers

cb
So true. I have several friends with the FP Red and its amazing how the two turbos are almost a perfect trade off, bottom end for top-end. We've compared charts and mod-lists endlessly and now that I'm making the same whp as them, they're eager to push their setups further/faster/more boost etc
Old Jul 1, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see fingerprints on the dyno graph. Great numbers!
Old Jul 1, 2009, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
great numbers!
Old Jul 1, 2009, 03:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Nice numbers Scheides!

A bit OT, but why don't you use E85 being you live in the land of E85 everywhere!?

Old Jul 1, 2009, 04:20 PM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by LV///R
Nice numbers Scheides!

A bit OT, but why don't you use E85 being you live in the land of E85 everywhere!?

I know, right!?! FFS I am the most unlucky dude, E85 is just not convenient for me to get to. I drive around enough for work that I need plenty of spots to top up, and my commute just doesn't lend to it, and the gas mileage is not aweful, but not awesome. I've run it for several months and it was just kinda a pain to deal with. I have a friend that has like 8 stations between his house and office, one near his relatives, and on the way to his lake cabin to boot. So, for some people, its natural to just want to run it because it's 'everywhere.' I'm just not quite so lucky
Old Jul 1, 2009, 09:16 PM
EvoM Moderator

I did a 2nd gear pull with the wife in the car tonight after meeting with some friends and merging into traffic. She got sick, just on the pump gas tune. Doh!
Old Jul 4, 2009, 01:53 AM

Just got my car back setup is similar to yours. All I can say is
I've been following your threads to try and get a feel for what my dyno numbers would be since we don't have any in Alaska.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats on your results.

That was a well detailed post!!!

Quick Reply: BBK / MAP Stg3 head /DB Performance tuning Dyno Results! Pump Gas & Alky!