Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

For those of you with ACD pump failures (merged)

Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those of you with ACD pump failures (merged)

Guys, lets keep the posts strictly on topic. Information on the car, reason for failure, driving conditions, covered under warranty, ect...

For those of you that have had an ACD pump failure, please go to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and file a complaint. I have no intentions of sitting around and letting Mitsubishi bend me over the desk like they have been so far. Also, if you had a pump failure anytime within the 5yr/60k mile power-train warranty, please post up here. I'm trying to get a head count of the people who have had this issue.

Last edited by mshilto89; Jun 5, 2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really encourage any of you that had this issue to do this.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly, ANYONE who has had a ACD pump failure, regardless of whether you were under the 5yr/60k mile warranty should do this. Or at least tell me here. This is a KNOWN design flaw, and Mitsubishi has failed to take ANY action towards it other than a TSB, which obviously, has NOT worked.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Saturday morning i warmed up my car for 5 minutes. Started to drive my car for about 15 seconds, awd service required popped up on my display. I stopped the car and brought it back home. Looked up what the issue could be and found out that the acd pump has failed. This is a well known problem from mitsubishi for these cars and they have not issued a recall or real fix. Without the acd pump functioning, there is a possibility that the car can lose traction in certain situations or damage the entire drivetrain system. Mitsubishi claims that its not part of the drivetrain so there is no warranty and it's also a "luxury" system. Controlling wheel traction is not a luxury its a safety feature.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

question.....is there a specific year or model that they go bad on? all years/models?

also how do you know its going or is bad? obviously a light but what other symptoms?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

It's every year. Mine just went dead but usually if its a good pump you hear the motor running for a few seconds after the you start the car or put the the key in the on position. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

It's for all year's 08-13. Mitsu has not changed the pump design on the cars yet. They came out with a ECU flash that was supposed to help but doesn't do squat. If it's going bad you'll get the "AWD SERVICE REQUIRED" or you'll throw a CEL C161F which indicates a fault in the pump, or a C161E, which indicates failure.

Here's my experience with it.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...wc-system.html
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

ok thanks. so im guessing mitsu dealers, on modded cars are telling people to go F off correct?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Mods or not, the ACD pump is only covered under the 3yr/36k mile warranty, not the 5yr/60k mile powertrain.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Its bs, if without this pump the drive train can suffer damage, then this is part of the drive train.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomar
Its bs, if without this pump the drive train can suffer damage, then this is part of the drive train.
How can driving around with a dead ACD/AYC pump cause damage to the drivetrain?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Doesn't the pump push fluid to the t-case front/rear diff's? I would imagine that would cause damage eventually.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

I would think that whatever controls/regulates the the torque to each wheel applied might suffer damage while it constantly tries to adjust without hydraulic pressure.

But, the car has a feature where you can turn AYC/ASC off by holding the button for 3 seconds.. isnt that essentially the same thing as a broken pump, or one thats 'unplugged'?
Could it be a cash grab?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mshilto89
Doesn't the pump push fluid to the t-case front/rear diff's? I would imagine that would cause damage eventually.
To be blunt, I'm not too interested in your imaginings. I want to know why Thomar thinks a dead pump can hurt the drivetrain.

Oh, and, yes, the pump provides pressure to the center and rear diffs, but only to activate the center lock and the rear AYC. It is not in any way required for the car to work.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

I would think that whatever controls/regulates the the torque to each wheel applied might suffer damage while it constantly tries to adjust without hydraulic pressure.
You don't seem to have any idea how the AYC works. It doesn't do any adjusting without hydraulic pressure; the pressure is what does the adjusting.

But, the car has a feature where you can turn AYC/ASC off by holding the button for 3 seconds
Holding the ASC button down for 3 seconds only turns off the single-wheel braking help for the AYC. There is no way to turn the AYC off.

No more guessing in tech threads, please. Feel free to ask how the system works (after searching a bit, please), but no wild guesses for people to find later when they search, OK?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For those of you with ACD pump failures (merged)