Notices
ECU Flash

E85 on speed density sputters and runs lean in closed loop

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2014, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which rom are you using, I can find the address for the LTFT low and LTFT Mid switchover points if you need it.

With it running like crap in closed loop says something with the front O2 sensor is wrong/not plugged in/wrong address for front o2/ or wideband patch is incorrect.

Put the car in forced open loop and see how it is on idle etc. If it good, then log the voltage of the front o2 sensor and see what is going on.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:01 AM

96531706. jeffbeagley found the address for me on Friday

I actually tried swapping the rear sensor to the front yesterday as a test, and if anything it ran worse :P O2 sensor voltage looks pretty normal...

What settings are required to use forced open loop at all RPM's/loads? I dont know if there is a "wideband patch" installed, how would I check?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 08:52 PM

I had some time to mess around with this again tonight. The injectors were sent back to FIC for cleaning & testing, but that did not improve the situation. I was able to borrow a set of 1450's that are confirmed working, and those were if anything worse.

The attached log file shows the following - I started the car, managed to get it to idle for a few, rev it up a couple of times where it starts missing, then it finally revs up to the launch limit. It idles fine for a bit after that, then I try to drive for a few seconds and it dies. At the end there are a few unsuccessful attempts to get it to start back up & idle again. AFR's are in the log with the UEGO 2nd O2 sensor method.

The car still seems to run substantially better (or actually run) when its cold.
Attached Files
Old Aug 13, 2014, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey buddy. Sorry, but I've been slammed. I found some time today (actually I'm busy as ****). I looked over the last log you sent me and I responded by email. Your email was in my junk folder too. That's a first.

For those following, his ECU is pumping in 35% more fuel at idle via trims and o2 and it's still lean. Looks like a scalar issue. It was 1125, I suggest at least 950 scalar.

GL and let me know if it gets better.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Is the O2 sensor a known good narrowband? It isnt uncommon for them to go bad when they get pulled out of an old O2 housing. In this case (without looking at logs) if the WOT is fine, then the idle settings either in the MAPVE, RPMVE, or latency are not correct. The 1750/1800 shouldnt need 950 on E85 on a 2.0L. If the 1450s were worse I would suspect the SD settings.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 04:02 PM

Front O2 sensor was replaced with a new one as part of troubleshooting but that did not make much of a difference.

Can anyone post up their SD settings for comparison? Im almost tempted to find an adapter and plug the MAF back in to run a stock ROM :/
Old Aug 13, 2014, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Is the O2 sensor a known good narrowband? It isnt uncommon for them to go bad when they get pulled out of an old O2 housing. In this case (without looking at logs) if the WOT is fine, then the idle settings either in the MAPVE, RPMVE, or latency are not correct. The 1750/1800 shouldnt need 950 on E85 on a 2.0L. If the 1450s were worse I would suspect the SD settings.
Aaron,

I'm suggesting 950 to diagnose the problem. His RPM VE table is on the rich side and his Map VE could be richened up, but nothing major. His latencies are rich at 1.5 @14v and 2.0 at 11v. Besides I don't think latencies would cause a 35% correction. I think it's either a scalar thing or fuel pump. He did tell me the fuel pressure is good and voltage is good at idle. If 950 richens it up then he could lean it out with a higher scalar.

His o2 volts are reading correctly and adding fuel via STFT and LTFT Low. That's the first thing I checked.

I looked at his WOT log and it didn't have AFR reading so... I'll have to wait for one of those.

I had a customer's car read up to 5 volts on his front o2 sensor. Never seen that. Replaced it and all is good, but just curious if you've seen that before.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Are there any logs from the car with the MAF still attached on a decent tune ?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 09:44 PM

Changed the scaling to 975 and I was able to complete a 15 minute drive. AFRs are still bouncing and its rough as hell in closed loop & the idle is all over the place, but at least it only died once, and I was able to re-start right away. This includes a couple of very brief pulls at WOT.

No, I dont have any logs from before all the work was done :/
Attached Files