Notices
ECU Flash

Tune help please

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tune help please

I have a 2006 EVO IX and I had it tuned at a local shop but was kind of a crappy tune and not going to take it back that's whole other story that isn't important. After the tune I swapped my intake manifold/throttle body and intercooler from stockers to after market. Now it was kinda doing it with the stock parts but now does it all the time with the aftermarket parts.

The car won't start without opening the throttle and take little bit to find idle, some times when cruising idle goes low and stumbles, occasionally will die. Cable is tight idle screw is adjusted and TPS/IAC are new.

What can I change in my tune to make it start and idle normally on its own?

Here are my mods

AMS F1 intake manifold
Buschur stage 3 head
GSC S2 cams
Tomei turbo
ToxicFab Exhaust manifold
Muse O2 Dump
Buschur fuel rail
Aeromotive 340 fuel pump
Bosch Racing 1150cc Injectors
ETS evo 9 wide tank 3.5" intercooler
Injen intercooler pipes
Hallman pro manual boost controller
Greddy FV BOV

Thanks in advance for all help!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 01:18 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your messing up the airflow/fuel measurements by installing parts that you weren't tuned for.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
More than likely it is your injector settings. Adding all those parts outside of the fuel system wouldn't cause hard starting. Make sure you have the injector orings settled in properly.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 09:10 AM

The injectors look good in straight and the rings are in their spots. Yes I'm sure the air/fuel got messed up a little bit and wanted to see about adjusting them enough to start the car I don't want to mess with the whole tune. I'm no professional tuner obviously and will get it professionally retuned soon but until then I just want it to start and idle.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm not talking about air/fuel ratio as that won't change significantly. There are several settings in the tune to get the injectors to work properly which include making the car start easy.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by evo8426
I'm not talking about air/fuel ratio as that won't change significantly. There are several settings in the tune to get the injectors to work properly which include making the car start easy.
Yes that is what I have read and that's what I need help adjusting to make sure I'm doing it right. I was trying to figure my injector pulse width difference from my stockers to the 1150s but it was helping so put it back to where the tuner had which he never adjusted from my stock tune.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly, It sounds like your tuner didnt properly set up the sensor and injector calibrations before he began the tune. I would Save the current tune, then flash it back to stock and start from there. It should run pretty well if you set up the new stock tune for the larger injectors. It will be what we in the tuning world call "base mapped" A base map gets you around, you can drive it to a professional tuner or just home. So if you want to tune it yourself you can, its a lot easier to start from the begining rather than off someone else's poor tune.

DO NOT GO WOT on a base map.

The VE of your motor will be different from stock. So you definitiely need a custom tune for your car. With the Manifolds and turbo and cams, those change VE a lot.

Last edited by 3SgteGuru; Jul 19, 2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by 3SgteGuru
Honestly, It sounds like your tuner didnt properly set up the sensor and injector calibrations before he began the tune. I would Save the current tune, then flash it back to stock and start from there. It should run pretty well if you set up the new stock tune for the larger injectors. It will be what we in the tuning world call "base mapped" A base map gets you around, you can drive it to a professional tuner or just home. So if you want to tune it yourself you can, its a lot easier to start from the begining rather than off someone else's poor tune.

DO NOT GO WOT on a base map.

The VE of your motor will be different from stock. So you definitiely need a custom tune for your car. With the Manifolds and turbo and cams, those change VE a lot.
I would not go WOT on a base tune, obviously asking for trouble. The car won't start with my "stock" tune in it. I have files saved for stock and the current dyno tune that's in it. No this tuner didn't do good, if have this idling problem and definitely don't have the power my evo should have. But like I said going to get it retuned by someone else that has a lot better reputation but that won't happen till end of August if not little later. So I just want my car to start and idle. Now I am a tech by trade but never got into tuning to much not a lot of shops like that where I live so my local tuning shop is 2-2.5 hrs away. So I do understand AFR and injector scaling but still need assistance to adjust all aspects that need to be adjusted to achieve this.

I don't know what VE stands for.