Notices
ECU Flash

Revised big map sizes for new ROM

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Revised big map sizes for new ROM

Folks - I've been working on a revised 3D SD implementation that will be incorporated into a modified tephra v7. The SD coding is 95% complete, and as I get to the point where I consider incorporating it into a tephra v7, I am thinking about what size tables to use. I plan on having a single size table for AFR, timing, and SD. I have found that the tephra big maps are too large for my needs, even as I get up into the 550 whp range, so I would like to implement a slightly smaller table with 26 elements across and 21 elements down. See the attached example. Question is whether there is a real need for something larger, in particular for the 600-800 whp cars. I'd like to think that the tables could be rescaled to get the necessary rpm or load, but let me know.

Attached Thumbnails Revised big map sizes for new ROM-mbt_proposed_big_map.png  
Old Jul 7, 2014, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
looks pretty good sizing to me, I have done something similar to several v7 roms.
The main thing is to avoid having steps in the spark map.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 06:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Still appears to be plenty of resolution to me. I posted a screen shot of 88586714 that donner patched reduced ve table and I had no issues with that. I think it was 21x19 but don't hold me to that.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
In my opinion the maps are still too large, even on SD cars that run 32psi and make over 500whp I don't go over 330 load. I'm excited to see what changes are implemented.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8426
In my opinion the maps are still too large, even on SD cars that run 32psi and make over 500whp I don't go over 330 load. I'm excited to see what changes are implemented.
Agreed
Old Jul 9, 2014, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I am okay with the map size you are proposing.

This brings up another point. I have seen someone post (I believe it was Merlin) say that a better tune is possible with the standard timing maps as the 1 degree resolution creates problems with the load values being so close together.

Anyone else agree? I haven't really looked into it, but I do know that it certainly was possible to get a great tune with the smaller maps.

Mrfred, if I am taking this too far off topic let me know and I will make a new topic. I am okay with the map size you are proposing.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 04:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by wreckleford
I am okay with the map size you are proposing.

This brings up another point. I have seen someone post (I believe it was Merlin) say that a better tune is possible with the standard timing maps as the 1 degree resolution creates problems with the load values being so close together.

Anyone else agree? I haven't really looked into it, but I do know that it certainly was possible to get a great tune with the smaller maps.

Mrfred, if I am taking this too far off topic let me know and I will make a new topic. I am okay with the map size you are proposing.
I will eventually have an update that allows 0.35 degree timing increments.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
I will eventually have an update that allows 0.35 degree timing increments.
Any idea what the cost will be?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Any idea what the cost will be?
A one-time purchase will cover all future updates. Probably will be around $125.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
A one-time purchase will cover all future updates. Probably will be around $125.

version for 9055 ???

Last edited by todd6027; Jul 10, 2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

I'm out, Tephra charged nothing for his work and don't see myself paying for modified work of someone else. I did donate to Tephra when V7 can out back in the day. I only tune other evos for my own enjoyment.

Good luck on your efforts as I'm sure you are putting in a good deal of effort.

Last edited by evo8426; Jul 10, 2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

I'm out, Tephra charged nothing for his work and don't see myself paying for modified work of someone else. I did donate to Tephra when V7 can out back in the day. I only tune other evos for my own enjoyment.

I would assume that MrFred would send a portion of the $125.00 in Tephra's direction .
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

I would assume that MrFred would send a portion of the $125.00 in Tephra's direction .
I am a nonprofit Evo enthusiast. In my opinion if anything is charged, the full amount should be split between everyone that put in any effort to make any of this possible. Tephra charged for certain ROMs on a "pay what you think it is worth" basis, which seems as though that could be $5 or $500. Not saying mrfred is a dishonest person, but based on the logic of your post we could assume the $125 would all be going straight to his pocket.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Actually, tephra's Evo 7-9 ROMs are donationware. If you haven't noticed, he is now charging for his Evo 10 ROMs. They are VIN locked just like what I'm doing.

What I'm doing is pretty far from changing the label and putting a price on it. The SD code I've written bares no resemblance to what's out there now - More tuning options, easier to setup (one ROM contains both MAF and SD capability). And the flex fuel patch will have to be a complete separate entity from tephra's code. Beyond all that, my main goal is to produce a ROM that satisfies my needs. I'm dreading the thought of porting the code to other MYs, so to some extent, I'd be happy if no one wanted to buy my ROM.

Ding ding. $50 -> tephra.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:24 PM
EvoM Guru

I am a nonprofit Evo enthusiast. In my opinion if anything is charged, the full amount should be split between everyone that put in any effort to make any of this possible. Tephra charged for certain ROMs on a "pay what you think it is worth" basis, which seems as though that could be $5 or $500. Not saying mrfred is a dishonest person, but based on the logic of your post we could assume the $125 would all be going straight to his pocket.
See above. I've already discussed with tephra over a year ago. BTW - several features in tephra's ROMs are patches first written by me.

Quick Reply: Revised big map sizes for new ROM