Notices
ECU Flash

Revised big map sizes for new ROM

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if youre good at something, dont do it for free.

when will this be available? i wanna try it
Old Jul 11, 2014, 03:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Being something totally new makes it a different ballgame. I was under the impression you were adding and subtracting features to the already existing ROM based on an earlier thread. I hope over the years donations have been shared with you for helping like you are planning.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Hoping for a 9653 version...
Old Jul 11, 2014, 08:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8426
Being something totally new makes it a different ballgame. I was under the impression you were adding and subtracting features to the already existing ROM based on an earlier thread. I hope over the years donations have been shared with you for helping like you are planning.
No donation passdown, but I was never expecting nor wanting anything. In the few conversations I've had with tephra on the topic, he indicated that he has received a sum total that amounted to "beer money".
Old Jul 11, 2014, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
A one-time purchase will cover all future updates. Probably will be around $125.
Count me in!! I have no problem paying for someone's hard work.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
That map size would easily cover ANY Evo built... Ever.

If you are taking a target AFR table approach, I wouldn't make it anywhere near as big as that VE map. I'd actually revert back to roughly the oem map size for target afr.

Anybody *****ing about $125 should spend the YEARS needed to learn assembly code then try and say $125 isn't dirt cheap for the amount of time invested.

As for Tephra getting beer money, of it covered beer needed to go through the oem code... That could be a good amount of beer... Haha

I use to call out the local tuners for using his ROM and not donating to him. I think it's bull****. Those guys are making money on his work.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Really your going to go *****ing about the price? You are cheap and you squeak when you walk. Mrfred is spending many hours working on this and if you don't think its worth it dont buy it. But don't talk smack when you have no clue as to what your talking about. See any other options out there in that price range? I didnt think so....
Old Jul 15, 2014, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

What's the point of you coming in and being a bi*** 3gturbo? Same to you 03whitegsr.

I already stated my reasoning, I thought he was just editing a small part but I guess you missed that. I don't recall saying it wasn't worth anything.

Last edited by evo8426; Jul 15, 2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I didn't come in to be a dick.

I actually just came in to give my $0.02 on map size. After that I simply addressed something that I disagreed with.

Let me ask this. Do you know assembly language? Have you written patches and defined tables/sub-routines for the EVO ecu?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 05VIII
if youre good at something, dont do it for free.

Old Jul 16, 2014, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

It seemed that way, but that is fine. I agree its bullcrap when tuners charge $300-500 and take all profit.

I don't know assembly but would attempt to learn if I knew where to start. Since I don't know any of it I did donate years ago. I stated earlier in the thread that I thought he was just rearranging a few things, not changing everything completely.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by todd6027

version for 9055 ???
Seconded. Please!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Back on Topic......
MrFred, As much resolution as you can stand to stare at. It is easier to take resolution out than put it in from a tuning perspective.
That's my nickel worth.
Having the timing and fuel tables line up, ie using the same load calculation is preferred as well imho. You might have said you were doing that already, but I got side tracked by the whining about money and lost part of your original post.

Oh, and make sure you charge enough to make fair coder wages for your work...that should be about 36 per hour for coding, and 45 per hour for managing the coder. If you are doing both, then by all means 81 per hour, since you are in effect doing the work of two people.

Trey didn't get all his money by giving stuff away.

Last edited by kozmic27; Jul 28, 2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kozmic27
Back on Topic......
MrFred, As much resolution as you can stand to stare at. It is easier to take resolution out than put it in from a tuning perspective.
That's my nickel worth.
Having the timing and fuel tables line up, ie using the same load calculation is preferred as well imho. You might have said you were doing that already, but I got side tracked by the whining about money and lost part of your original post.

Oh, and make sure you charge enough to make fair coder wages for your work...that should be about 36 per hour for coding, and 45 per hour for managing the coder. If you are doing both, then by all means 81 per hour, since you are in effect doing the work of two people.

Trey didn't get all his money by giving stuff away.
Rates may vary by industry but in top flight software houses a lead/manager is expected to both code and manage other coders and you don't get a separate rate for that (have been a lead for 4+ years now). In fact you are usually paid the exact same as an individual coder (someone who is managed) at the same seniority level. To put these rates in perspective assuming a 10 hour day for 5 days a week, the low end is about 5-10k under the average entry level position in a top flight house and the high end is on par with a veteran with at least 7-8 years of experience. Don't get me wrong I'm happy if mrfred and others can get something back from the community but that rate relative to the difficulty of the work would be ridiculous. This isn't to say the work isn't difficult but it just wouldn't match the true market rate.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 09:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm all open to donate/pay for hard work and cool ROMs, but I think $125 per car is a lil steep. I mean, I paid Tephra $70 so he would make 9417 V7, but it wasn't locked to one car. I think the price should be more in the $50-$60 range, like what Tephra is charging for his VIN lock EVO X V2 ROM. To me, thats a more reasonable and fair price.

Another idea would be to charge tuners a higher fee ($100-$300) then end users, but provide them with unlimited ROMs or a certain number of ROMs at a "wholesale, package" price.