Notices
ECU Flash

crazy timing jump in log

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crazy timing jump in log

I don't know if this has anything to do with the crazy way it has been running (below), but my oxygen sensor went out about a week after I posted the message below:
So my exhaust housing broke where it bolts to the manifold and I replaced my whole turbo with one bought used. Both turbos oem Evo VIII. Just finished and test drove it a few days ago and it is really acting weird. It knocks all over the place and at least three times I've had a "backfire" incident that sounds like a pop and I can feel as a surge or pause (yeah, opposites, I know).
So I've started taking out timing and logging with EvoScan and I'm seeing huge differences. It is getting up to the 250 and 260 load cells where 200 was tops before. i got a really bizzare log this morning. I was doing a pull at wot and the timing was zero degrees for over 30 lines then jumped to 17 degrees advanced in the next line. That gave me six counts of knock. Log is attached; line in question is almost at the bottom.
Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated.

I will update again after the new sensor is in and I check the logs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
EvoLog 4-17-14.pdf (147.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by crthomas1952; May 6, 2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Old Apr 17, 2014, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post a screenshot of the timing map please. Also what are you using for boost control, and does the wg actuator have any additional preload in it?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by ReaperX
Post a screenshot of the timing map please. Also what are you using for boost control, and does the wg actuator have any additional preload in it?
Thanks for your time, Shaun. Boost is controlled with ecu; no mbc or other add-on. I don't know about the actuator preload. How can I find out?
I'll post the high octane fuel and ignition map screenshots here for the above log. Then, I'll post them as they were before turbo change below.
Attached Thumbnails crazy timing jump in log-mod13.png   crazy timing jump in log-mod-13-fuel.png  
Old Apr 18, 2014, 09:30 AM

I had really cut back on the knock by decreasing timing advance before the turbo switch, but I was still getting just a bit. Here is a message I sent to my mechanic at that time:
I had dialed the timing back in a few of the load cells based on the previous logs that I posted on evolutionm. I took it out to log again and for a while I thought I wasn’t going to be able to get the cel to flash at all. But, it finally did one time. When I looked at the logs, there were multiple instances of 1 or 2 knock counts, but only one line that had 3. (That answered my question, I think, as to whether it flashes with only 1 knock, or whether there had to be 2 or 3. Looks like 3.)
I feel SO much better now. I’m going to Barber next weekend, and I was afraid I’d have to cancel with the way it had been knocking. Now, even if I can’t get into the ecu again, I think some octane booster and race gas will keep me safe for the weekend.
The part of that log with the 3 counts is attached.
I saved the attached maps the next day, and I'm pretty sure I was able to flash them into the ecu. So, these would be the maps that were in the car before and after the turbo switch. (Even with adding Torco to boost the octane, I still got a little cel flashing at the track.)
I'll post the logs of the car with the replaced turbo in the next message, in chronological order.
Attached Thumbnails crazy timing jump in log-mod12-fuel.png   crazy timing jump in log-mod12.png  
Attached Files
EvoLog 2-1-14.pdf (89.5 KB, 0 views)
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:19 AM

So here is the first log with the turbo replaced, with the maps mod12 above (EvoLog1). Then, I took some more timing out, flashed the revised map back in, and recorded the second log (EvoLog2). I didn't save that revised map.
Before the log attached to the original post above was taken, I decreased the AFR by 0.2 in all the cells with load >100 and RPM > 2000. Then, I saved maps mod13, above.
Attached Files
EvoLog1 4-16-14.pdf (200.6 KB, 0 views)
EvoLog2 4-16.14.pdf (223.5 KB, 0 views)
Old Apr 18, 2014, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
dont see any wideband afr in the logs ???
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by todd6027
dont see any wideband afr in the logs ???
So yeah, there is a wideband installed. I just need to figure out whether I need to connect with a separate cable or whether it is wired in so I can just check a box in EvoScan. It is an AEM, and there are 2 different ones that can be selected in EvoScan, so I guess I'll just try selecting one, and maybe then the other.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
cool , else your just chasing your tail .