Notices
ECU Flash

Lean AFR's, poor cruise, stutter/miss

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by black_out
I pulled my pump hoping for the same and I was surprised to find that
1-I was the first person to pull the pump, it was still on the original 8 pump and
2- it was spotless. Like brand new spotless. Everyone says e85 breaks down factory lines and destroys them. My factory lines felt brand new and the tank was the cleanest tank ive ever seen
Oh Wow. Have you tried another pump yet?
No offence intended, I just thought with your mods you had an aftermarket pump.
Not sure if related to issue, but can your pump support all your mods?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I was very surprised to find a stock pump as well. I have 40psi at idle and 50psi at -5in/hg so I know the pump is working. At 23lbs AFRs were steady in the mid 11s so I know the pump can handle it. I plan on upgrading but don't want to mod anything more until I get it foxed
Old Apr 16, 2014, 08:18 PM

Yeah, fair enough hey.

Goodluck hey, keep us updated on how you go. im going to do a boost leak test + check my fuel pump coming week
Old Apr 20, 2014, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Update! I believe we've solved the issue(s). It seems to have been a combination of issues causing it. First- after extensively messing with the injectors I found that if I physically grounded the #4 injector the car would run noticeably better. I didn't even bother trying with #1. So I figured I'd test my luck with a new cam sensor, beings that they were only $60 and seem to fail regularly it seemed like a worthy gamble. New cam sensor in and the car fired up very nicely although it still seemed to have a miss at idle and would kind of clear up as I revved it up. I didn't run the car too long, but long enough to see that the AFR's were back to where they should be with a stutter every time it missed.

I started pulling injector plugs and noticed no change at idle with #1 unplugged, but now #4 would cause it to run like it was prior to the cam install. Figured I'd pull the rail and take a look at the injector nozzles and found both 1/4 were pretty filthy while 2/3 looked dirty but not terrible. FIC will be cleaning and flow testing all 4 to ensure they're all cleaned out good, but I'm going to say it should be fixed now! Thanks for the help from everyone!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

so, is your car fixed now? did cleaning the injectors help at all?

I have a friend who is on MAF but is having the exact same issue and I've tried everything tuning related to adjust his idle afrs but nothing works. I've come to the conclusion that it's something mechanical, either an exhaust leak pre o2 or apparently like yours a bad cam sensor.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have had a similar situation with a couple of different cars, all boiled down to one of a few things: injectors, pumps, I/C piping leaks, EGR vacuum lines popped off, or simply tuning was wrong.

On my previous Evo it had all of the bolt on mods and ran, well, perfect. Until one day it didn't. Went for lunch.... and anything above 3000rpm boost or no boost was a problem. This particular had a problem with the stock pump at 4500 miles on the clock. It would allow the car to idle and drive, but that was it. Put in a Walbro and the car to this day almost 7-years later still has the same one in it and runs great.

If you're running MAF and it starts, runs, and craps out when you get on it--- without a doubt an intercooler or intercooler pipe leak somewhere. A friend with an Evo X bought a TurboXS intercooler--- split the end tanks apart two separate times as they are made with inexcusably thin aluminum. I also switched BOV's recently and I run MAF--- somewhere the one end came off some how and A/F ratios were all over the place.... except idle as it sat in place just good enough to not leak.

Technical10