Notices
ECU Flash

New EVODROID7 EvoScan Android GPS/Logger/Reflashing CarPC Touchscreen Review

Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:12 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
New EVODROID7 EvoScan Android GPS/Logger/Reflashing CarPC Touchscreen Review

EVODROID7: EvoScan 7" Android GPS Navigator DisplayUnit - 18cm x 11cm Full color 800x480 Resolution/Datalogger/Touchscreen order here now.. just $247

So whats new for the latest technology EvoScan GPSNav? Well where do we start, theres just so many fantastic features, I’ll try and quickly list the most awesome top features here, and add more details below.

* Latest Android v4.0.4 operating system.
* Latest EvoScan Android Software.
* Faster EvoX datalogging… EvoX up to 700+ samples per second.
* Supports Mitsubishi 2008-2012 EvoX and Lancer Ralliart datalogging, uses the new android right angle datalogger cable “EvoScan OpenPort 3.0DA”, sold separately.
* Supports Mitsubishi 1994-2008 datalogging, uses the new “EvoScan OpenPort 1.3DA” datalogger cable, sold separately.
* Powers itself via the Datalogger cable from the car, means one less cable in the car.
* Built-in GPS and iGo Navigator software for the latest worldwide maps.
* Built-in 3-Axis Accelerometer
* Built-in WiFi - browse the datalogs over wifi from your PC or Phone.
* Built-in Speaker, external Hi-Fi stereo jack, and FM Transmitter function to send you alerts, notifications and music over your in-car stereo.
* The new datalogger cables are future proofed, having built in hardware to support both Bluetooth USB Dongles($3) and WiFi USB Dongles($4).
pre-order here now.. just $217

[FONT=Helvetica]Fastest Configuration:
OBDII rightangle extension(opt) -> openport 1.3DA -> std usb to miniusb right angle -> EvoDroid7.

Bluetooth USB dongle configuration:
OBDII rightangle extension(opt) -> openport 1.3DA -> std usb Bluetooth 3mm Dongle. Bluetooth based Android 2.1+ Phone.

Collecting datalogs:
EvoDroid7 connects to home LAN via WiFi -> EvoScan (PC/Laptop) downloads/uploads saved datalogs and uploads new gauge layouts via wifi.

Figure 1.1 EvoScan Android GPSNav in demo mode

Figure 1.2 EvoScan Android GPSNav in demo mode

Figure 1.3 EvoScan Android GPSNav side photos.

Lots of EvoDroid7's waiting for some cables to accompany them...

Here is a photo of a fully assembled new EvoScan OpenPort 1.3DA Android cable.

the quick release screw plugs...

Supports 1994-2008 Mitsubishis (Openport 1.3DA cable sold separately)

Supports 2008-2012 Mitsubishi EvoX and Lancer RalliArt (Openport 3.0DA cable sold separately)

EvoScan Android Datalogging Vehicle Cables Available:
EvoDroid7 includes 1 Mini USB Port for connecting the following *NEW* EvoScan cables ONLY:
$247

*NEW* EvoScan OpenPort 1.3DA
- Supports EVO4-9 / OBDII / MUTII / MUTIII / AYC / ACD / 1994-2008 Mitsubishi Vehicles.
- This cable will support other makes and models, 1999+ SSMII and 1996+ OBDII vehicles, later via free Android software updates.
- with 4 I/O channels (0-5volt Sensor Analogue Input/Digital Switch Inputs/Relay outputs)
$57 per cable

*NEW* EvoScan OpenPort 3.0DA
- Supports EVOX / CAN Bus / ACD / LancerRalliart / 2008-2012 Mitsubishi Vehicles.
- This cable will support other makes and models, 2008+ CAN vehicles, later via free Android software updates.
- with 4 I/O channels (0-5volt Sensor Analogue Input/Digital Switch Inputs/Relay outputs)
$57 per cable

Want to be seen as the hi-tech car enthusiast in your city, driving around with one of these awesome displays? Not to mention how valuable it is to monitor your engine on the street and track. We just need to know how many to make. If you pre-order now, you will get priority delivery. We will send the first batch out in December via FedEx and DHL Express, in time for the x-mas holidays. Or you can place the order now, and we will email you later for payment, but we will prioritize the paid pre-order deliveries first.

Even if you already have an android phone or other device, I would still recommend using a dedicated display screen in the vehicle, setting up your phone in the car every time you drive is not very fun. With such a large capacitive touch screen with GPS built-in, and at such an amazing price, the processing power is 1Ghz, which is more than enough to run all major apps and games. It also has 512Mb RAM, 8GB internal and microSD storage for movies, games, and music. It is using only the best latest capacitive touchscreen – it’s not the older resistive type touchscreen, Wireless WiFi, speaker output jack, car charger, and car bracket.

FAQ
How does the new cable connect?
Mini USB Male to Standard Male USB + Standard USB host port on a right angle to the new EvoScan Android OpenPort OBDII Plug.

How does the new EvoDroid7 get power?
The OBDII vehicle port provides power to the touchscreen via the usb datalogger cable.

Does the new cable have any extra cool features?
Yes it includes 4 channels of input/outputs for 0-5volt sensors analogue inputs, switch inputs, switch relay outputs, etc.
Great for reading external sensors such as Boost Sensors, Oil Temp, Oil pressure, E85 sensors, controlling Boost solenoids from the touchscreen etc.

Do you have any pics of the new cables?
We will post pictures as soon as we have finalized the position of the 4channel input/outputs part of the cable.

Do the new cables work with PCs and Laptops?
Yes, but only if you plug in a USB Bluetooth dongle ($3) to the EvoScan OpenPort cable, the EvoScan Windows7/8 software will support this at a later date via free software updates.

What do the letters DA stand for on the cable names EvoScan OpenPort 1.3DA or 3.0DA?
• D = Datalogger Cable (i.e. no reflashing)
• A = Android, connect and charge via usb cable (you can optionally use a $3 Bluetooth Dongle with this special new EvoScan cable)

What are the Pros and Cons of using Bluetooth and WiFi for datalogging?
Bluetooth has bugs in and out of range, reconnect issues, interference, and wireless hackers.
Increased delay on Bluetooth, fast 1ms response times on a usb cable.
Bluetooth was only previously preferred because ipad didn’t have USB, but Android has USB, there is no real need for Bluetooth.
Response time is slower on wifi than Ethernet, same goes for bluetooth vs usb.

Do the new cables support iPad and iPhone?
No sorry. apple does not allow USB connections.

order here now.. just $247

Figure 1: Holding the new 3 amp power supply on the tip of my finger. On the Left showing the portrait style of the EvoDroid7 (has inbuilt auto rotation g-sensor), and on the right the EvDroid7 running the main menu screen.

Official EvoScan EvoDroid7 Starter Video #1

Official EvoScan EvoDroid7 Setup Guide #2

Last edited by evoscan; Jun 9, 2014 at 02:52 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Cool .
One question though.
How Does it get the power to the GPS ?

Last edited by NZEvox; Oct 23, 2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:18 AM
Silver Sponsor

It gets its power directly from the cars diagnostic port and sends the power along the usb cable to the device for charging and datalogging at the same time.

Last edited by evoscan; Oct 23, 2012 at 03:25 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:20 AM
Evolving Member

Make that two questions
Does it come with a right angle cable or is it built in?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:25 AM
Silver Sponsor

the new cable has the USB connector at right angles on the openport diagnostic plug, so that it doesn't get knocked like the older cables. So you should not need a right angle extension cable anymore.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:31 AM
Evolving Member

Ex-squeeze me 700 samples per/sec
Man I want one.

Last edited by NZEvox; Oct 23, 2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:52 AM

Well, cool stuff n All but I already have a Galaxy Tab built into the dashboard....
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will there be a app released for Android users to use on any Android device (I have a nexus 7 and this would be perfect)
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:20 AM
Silver Sponsor

maybe buy a gpsnav too, one that fits right up in yer face so you can't miss all the good things happening in your engine
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No mention of logging wideband?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Nice! Been waiting for a long time!

Last edited by timmiii; Oct 23, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:53 PM

If they build the Android App able to handle a OP2.0 I'll just go for the software. I can connect my OP to my In Dash Tablet whenever I wish. Just been hoping for OP2.0 Abilities. IF not maybe I can find someone local to trade me for a 1.3

I think there is the Android App on Evoscan's website but not sure if its the same. From everything I'm seeing here, this is just an android tablet with 4.0 which has USB Host Connectivity allowing it to see the OP, and the Evoscan android app.

Correct me if I'm wrong? Because I've always wanted this on my Tablet.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:42 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by GregM
No mention of logging wideband?
The new diagnostic cable I have designed actually has 44 ADC port channels, but I'm just going to expose 4 Analogue to Digital 0-5v ports. I will also expose a special serial port, so that we can plug in wideband serial or 0-5v ADC widebands into the side of the diagnostic plug.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I assume this new cable will work and be needed for any other Android device once you release the software? I'm keen to get this running on my S3, so would be interested in just the cable if thats the case.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:53 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by DarkerStars
If they build the Android App able to handle a OP2.0 I'll just go for the software. I can connect my OP to my In Dash Tablet whenever I wish. Just been hoping for OP2.0 Abilities. IF not maybe I can find someone local to trade me for a 1.3

I think there is the Android App on Evoscan's website but not sure if its the same. From everything I'm seeing here, this is just an android tablet with 4.0 which has USB Host Connectivity allowing it to see the OP, and the Evoscan android app.

Correct me if I'm wrong? Because I've always wanted this on my Tablet.
wrong, this is how it works...

I have made a huge technology leap in diagnostic cables, and actually made the CABLE the USB HOST! your android is now the device slave and communicates via the usb debugging port on the EvoDroid7.

This new cable is like none other before it. It is on pre-order special at just $57USD each, I would just buy this new android cable, and use the reflashing cable only when needed, so that you don't wear out your expensive openport 2.0 cable.

Take note the DA on the end of the new 1.3DA and 3.0DA cables refers to Datalogger / Android. There is the possibility of using these cables also for reflashing, I will send out more detail on this later.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New EVODROID7 EvoScan Android GPS/Logger/Reflashing CarPC Touchscreen Review