Notices
ECU Flash

General non-information about factory ALS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
wow that is a nice piece but DANG not a cheap piece to machine.,very interesting though!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 01:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvocentriK
This car here is group N evo and sounds pretty badass on decel and is running ALS on idle, and it's only running factory ALS hardware. It seems this is enough for ALS, but the ECU just can't control it/add enough fuel for long enough/allow enough neg timing.

all gr.n cars going with pre-opened throttle that is why needed the fuel / ignition cutted idle . instead of the engine would run 4000rpm. the new pre-opened tb is the 0 zero tp for the ecu ( have to calibrate ) and over that with 3-4% the ecu release the cutting to leave the car running . The pre-opened TB needed because the extra air help turbo to spin.. with the idle control valve open you can have bigger or less antilag .

without TP - RPM axis ignition retard table never will have antilag..also the sounds is quite different as you can heard in the video than a simple ignition retard, it has TP-RPM igntion cutting table too.

the sas system is not used on the GR-N cars..just the rules say have to be on..

the wrc runing "sas type" als without popping or like this..they try create a turbo jet with good succes from the turbo.. but it cause a lot of heat.

First needed to upgrade the ecu rom, this is the biggest issue against the real als.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
For less than 100 dollars I can build a flange that does mimic that concept definitely not as pretty . The manifold I cannot build easily.

250 for my design flange in 304 ..
Old Apr 8, 2014, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
at all i do not want to kill the topic with my post, but here we definitly need a software solution / patch... may Mr.Fred or other professional can check the possibilities. I can help what exactly needed.. ( tables, configuration, compensation.. )
Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:43 PM
EvoM Guru

-I jumped to vi-pec. And hooked the sas up to that: my results were wild turbo surge at low rpm and no surging at upper rpm. More bypass volume is needed to turn surging into turbo speed and give more effect up top.

I'm working on using a denso Subaru maf to measure air flow when sas is active on decel and sas is not active on decel.

I'm hoping to use this like a poor mans turbo speed sensor and get an idea if I'm making turbo speed
Old Apr 9, 2014, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by VGergo
at all i do not want to kill the topic with my post, but here we definitly need a software solution / patch... may Mr.Fred or other professional can check the possibilities. I can help what exactly needed.. ( tables, configuration, compensation.. )
I don't think you're killing the topic, I totally agree in regard to the software solution. I think Ratsbud tried contacting some of the developers to no avail.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:17 PM
EvoM Guru

I mean the road is vast here let's look at the questions that plague us:

Secondary air anti lag or throttle bypass? If sas is everyone going to be on board with possible hardware changes that will need to be made? If bypass what method of providing air bypass to the intake will we develop with ? Does the majority of users under stand that sas does not show up on a standard boost gauge? Does the end user have a solid way to calibrate turbo speed or measured airflow?

We can't spend money that most of us really don't have to pay a developer code what we don't know we need for coding.

I'm in a vipec so that I could understand what it took to make it work. But I already have the carriage ahead of the horse with no turbo speed measure, I'm going to buy a maf housing tomorrow for the Subaru maf I have. Poor mans turbo speed indicator.

We need to calculate secondary air flow rate some how. Does anyone know how to build a device that can calculate flow rate with analog gauges?

I want to test the flow rate of the sas system all together.

Can I use a stop watch with a known volume and pressure and time how long it takes to drain from say 80 psi to 30?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:34 PM
EvoM Guru

From my millions of google searching and a lot of wrc lancer you tube videos plus others, like wtc you'll notice that the fresh air systems ( true fresh air) do not pop and bang nearly as much and appear to generate turbo speed by a better balance of timing and fuel. " quieter " is evidently less hazardous.

I'll continue to try the factory sas especially once I read airflow, with various amounts of timing and fuel vs using a traditional throttle bypass ignition retard amount.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Ordered the maf housing a few mins ago.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 01:51 PM
EvoM Guru

New stainless 316l 90* bends are done, 3/4"! This will fit the tial flange nicely and promises to be my best incarnation to date!
Old Jul 27, 2014, 04:12 AM
Evolving Member

Throttle bypass antilag system on my Vr4 (AEM ems)

Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by tunermt
Throttle bypass antilag system on my Vr4 (AEM ems)

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f577XUQgTcY
As an alternate route I've been looking at throttle bypass.

Good work making the AEM do that, idle does sound aggressive.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 04:07 AM
Evolving Member

I'm still slacking on posting up the video of the secondary air injection ALS set up on my S13 but that system is a good bit more aggressive.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by tunermt
I'm still slacking on posting up the video of the secondary air injection ALS set up on my S13 but that system is a good bit more aggressive.
Slacker!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 211ratsbud

Slacker!
I have been testing a setting in which my vipec uses a single solenoid to control a boost only source to my lower bov port and under set conditions applies this secondary source to hold the valve open. Increasing shaft speed by means of boost leak ..I'm trying to get the maf logging feature set up so I can do a With and without test. Some hang ups in maf logging so far

Likely the reason my thrust washer is spent as well

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Aug 14, 2014 at 03:46 PM.

Quick Reply: General non-information about factory ALS