TephraXMOD V1

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
Talking TephraXMOD V1

Hi All,

The time has come!

TephraXMOD - This is version 1, there have been a LOT of private beta versions so this one SHOULD be pretty stable.

Whats available in V1?

* KnockCEL
As per it's name this mod will flash the Check Engine Light (CEL/MIL/SES) when the ECU see's knock.
There are two flashing speeds, SLOW for low levels of knock and FAST for high levels of knock
There are 4 tuneable knobs:
Load Required for CEL on Knock - This is the minimum load that will enable the KnockCEL, ie knock under these load levels will be ignored.
KnockSum Required for Slow CEL (Low Knock) - This is the minimum knocksum that will enable cause the CEL to flash slowly
KnockSum Required for Fast CEL (High Knock) - This is the minimum knocksum that will enable cause the CEL to flash fast
Knock CEL Flash time - This is how long the CEL will keep flashing AFTER the load + knocksum conditions have passed.
If your coming from Evo 7-9 you may notice that there is a slight difference in the algorithm. NOW the CEL lamp will only flash when the knock STARTS above the thresholds. I have done this to stop low load knock from causing the CEL to flash when you pass above the load threshold.
* AltMaps
This makes space in the ROM for complete copy of all the useful maps. It also adds code to enable various methods to switch between these maps.

The maps that are duplicated:
Alt Fuel Injector Scaling
Alt High Octane Fuel Map
Alt High Octane Timing Map
Alt Reactive Solenoid Base WGDC Map #2 (Low Gear Range)
Alt Reactive Solenoid Base WGDC Map #1A (High Gear Range)
Alt Passive Solenoid Base WGDC Map #2 (Low Gear Range)
Alt Passive Solenoid Base WGDC Map #1A (High Gear Range)
Alt Boost Target #2 (Low Gear Range)
Alt Boost Target #1A (High Gear Range)
Alt Cranking Enrichment IPW Adder (Main)
* The Alt Passive Solenoid Base WGDC Map's may not be available if your model doesn't have twin solenoids (ie Ralliart Lancers)
* The #1B boost maps have been droped and the code is replaced to use #1A in their place

As I mentioned there are 4 methods to swap between maps (You must nominate and configure which method you want at flash time)

* TPS map switching
As the name suggests this uses the Accelerator Pedal to swap maps, simply turn the ignition ON (but do NOT start the car) and hold the Accelerator Pedal down to the floor
* Cruise Control map switching
This uses the ON/OFF Cruise Control button to swap maps, simply hold the ON/OFF Cruise Control button to toggle maps. This CAN be done whilst the car is driving, see Load Threshold tuneable knob.
* 5V ADC map switching
You can connect your meth/nos controller to the ECU (using pin 112) it must output 0v on FAILURE, and 5v on SYSTEM OK
Because USDM have EVAP USDM vehicles cannot use this method - please use Resistor ADC instead
When the ECU sees the voltage go ABOVE the threshold it will start the timer to swap to alternate maps.
When the ECU sees the voltage go BELOW the threshold it will INSTANTLY swap to normal maps.
* Resistor ADC map switching
You can connect your meth/nos controller to the ECU (using pin 115) it must use a relay to ground pin 115. It is preferable to use a ~250Ohm resistor between pin115 and ground
When the ECU sees the voltage go ABOVE the threshold it will INSTANTLY swap to normal maps.
When the ECU sees the voltage go BELOW the threshold it will start the timer to swap to alternate maps.
There are 4 tuneable knobs:
Alternate Map Master (0=OFF, 1=5V ADC, 2=CruiseControl, 3=TPS, 4=Resistor ADC) - Well pretty obvious I thought
Alternate Map Load Threshold - The system will ONLY swap maps (except for both ADC's failsafe) when BELOW this threshold
Alternate Map Time to Activate - This is the amount of time required to hold the TPS/CruiseControl button to toggle maps. In the case of the ADC's switching, this is the amount of time before the ECU will switch to the Alternate Maps - switching map to normals maps (ie in a failsafe scenario) is INSTANT
Alternate Map ADC Threshold - This is the voltage threshold
For 5V ADC the voltage must be ABOVE this threshold before it will swap to Alternate Maps
For Resistor ADC the voltage must be BELOW this threshold before it will swap to Alternate Maps
Some notes about the Resistor ADC:
* a 250Ohm resistor to ground will produce about 0.5volts on the ADC - I have chosen 250Ohm since the Fuel Tank Temp resitor is 500-10k Ohm, and 250Ohm shouldn't heat up much
* we are hijacking the fuel tank temp signal, so you will NEED to disconnect this wire, probably easiest at C47 - hopefully someone can do a write up
* You only need to use the Resistor ADC if your car has EVAP

What does it cost?
The cost of using TephraXMOD depends on who YOU are
Private Individuals -
Since the Evo community is just that (a community) I like to keep things very informal - You can download and use TephraXMOD for FREE - YES FREE - I do, HOWEVER, have a donations paypal setup that you can send money to if you would like. Normally I ask people donate whatever they think its worth AND more imporantly whatever they can afford. Please PayPal donations {at} globalshare {dot} net thx!
Pro-tuners -
I will be asking Pro-Tuners (ie tuners that make money from tuning) to be donating $30 per car they tune with TephraXMOD - You guys make money from this so I think it's only fair that you contribute
Now this is an HONOUR based system, meaning I can't and won't be checking up on you, nor will I be issuing licenses. I wholey expect some ProTuners to use my work without paying for it, and that IS disappointing but hopefully that will be the minority

How do I get it?
Here are the current ROM's - some have been better tested than others, Generally I will only upload a ROM that has been well tested.
HOWEVER it is upto YOU to make sure you car is running ok before driving at WOT

ROMS MOVED HERE

NOTE - It is upto YOU to make sure you car is running ok before driving at WOT

How do I use it?
1) Download the above zip file which matches your vehicle description. Inside will be 2 files, a .hex and a .xml

I have only modified the most recent ROMID for each year/region/type. So you will have to "upgrade" to this version

2) Copy the .xml file into your ECUFlash directory - you need to stick it inside the "C:\Program Files\OpenECU\EcuFlash\rommetadata\mitsubishi\evo" or similar directory

3) Open ECUFlash then open the .hex file included.

4) Copy all your maps over from your current tune to the TephraXMOD ROM

5) Flash

6) TEST TEST TEST, Make sure the car idles well, make sure your trims dont drift, make sure the car drives ok particularily PART THROTTLE

7) Once you are happy the ROM works as it should then you can drive at WOT!

I am missing XML's

You may or may/not need some or all of these

52680022.xml
52680020.xml
52690022.xml
52690021.xml

Right-Click Save-As into your EcuFlash rommetadata directory... ... ...
Who has Donated

Vendors/ProTuners
3x Bryan@GST
5x Jon@HBSpeed
4x John@ViscontiFlash (TheSHOPCT)
9x Mike@RoadRaceEngineering
5x Shaun@FullBoostRacing
3x Kasander@EBTuning
3x Lukasz@4Turbo.PL
10x Michael&Anton@KORZUNEngineering
1x Kristin@Boostin Performance
4x Martin@Willall Racing
12x Sergey@Bilyk WRX
5x AIK@X-power
4x Dino@Speedcircuit

Dudes
E6-X
tsitalon1
2x Guru
Kracka
as400
newcomer81
Rogue
xPRimNT
EvoXCR
2x palmerblock
kamote24
gsxwingz
10x kozmic27
mlomker
Seventhfactor
Murlo26
Mojito
LaXGSR
darwin_evo
MonacoGP
smanders
Ludo
Tippy
Zikizira
Volkerball
the dog
SiC Bomb
Golden
clck
2x EvoX2NR
RS200Z
orthojoe
Riced

a BIG thanks to everyone here - it really helps

I also want to acknowledge the help that Acamus gave, which was finding the variable to actually enable/disable the CEL light - without this KnockCEL wouldn't work on the X's

Last edited by tephra; Feb 15, 2016 at 01:11 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by tephra:
Bestlap (Mar 10, 2017), Erickcolt (Mar 21, 2021), MV auto (Feb 14, 2019)
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Fixes

ok some scalings have been left out - if you have a stock ECUFLash then you will need these

Please copy/paste these into your evo10base.xml

Code:
<scaling name="VoltsADC1023" units="Volts" toexpr="x*5/1023" frexpr="x*1023/5" format="%.2f" min="0" max="16" inc="0.05" storagetype="uint16" endian="big"/>
<scaling name="TimeInjCranking" units="ms" toexpr="x*0.005" frexpr="x/0.005" format="%.1f" min="0" max="500" inc="1" storagetype="uint16" endian="big"/>
FAQ

Its taking a long time to flash, is this normal? - Yes, A lot of blocks in the ROM has changed, so ECUFlash will take quite a lot longer than usual to flash all the updated blocks..

Does cruise control still work? - Yes

How many sets of maps can I swap? - At the moment, 2, so your stock one and then an alternate set

Whats the best setup for a meth failsafe? - You should use one of the ADC modes, if your USDM then you have to use the resistor ADC mode. Both ADC modes will switch back to normal maps INSTANTLY on detection of the failsafe condition.

Here is the wiring setup you should be trying to use for a meth failsafe:
Aquamist HFS Controller Setup

AEM Controller Setup

Last edited by tephra; Jun 8, 2011 at 04:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MV auto (Feb 14, 2019)
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tephra you are the man... will report back ASAP. since this is the first post i might as well ask. the ROMs will be universal for that entire year model? also small issue with the alternate cranking IPW adder. thank you very much.
Attached Thumbnails TephraXMOD V1-alt-cranking-enrichment-ipw-adder-main-evo-x-table.png  

Last edited by RALLInspired; Jun 10, 2010 at 01:16 AM. Reason: IPW adder table
Old Jun 10, 2010, 01:52 AM
EvoM Guru

As long as the first 4 numbers in the ROMID are the same then you should be good to "upgrade" to these ROM's

Ahh you probably don't have the cranking enrichment scaling defined your evo10base.xml:

please add the following to your evo10base.xml file

Code:
<scaling name="TimeInjCranking" units="ms" toexpr="x*0.005" frexpr="x/0.005" format="%.1f" min="0" max="500" inc="1" storagetype="uint16" endian="big"/>
The following users liked this post:
MV auto (Feb 14, 2019)
Old Jun 10, 2010, 01:56 AM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ent-evo-x.html

done. thank you. will be testing tomorrow (later on today). expect a much deserved donation soon.

Last edited by RALLInspired; Jun 10, 2010 at 02:14 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 01:58 AM
EvoM Guru

cool..

your profile says you have an IX thou...?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 02:01 AM

LOL that's my own personal vehicle tephra
Old Jun 10, 2010, 02:02 AM
EvoM Guru

ok good

you would be surprised at what some people try todo hehe
Old Jun 10, 2010, 02:04 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tephra
ok good

you would be surprised at what some people try todo hehe
believe me i know. Either way thank you for the concern. it is very much appreciated as is your work

Last edited by RALLInspired; Jun 10, 2010 at 02:15 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn, I just wet my pants!!!!

You would release this on a day that I won't be home for 13 hours
Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:57 AM

Great work Tephra!
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats tephra.

It's been a while coming, but I know the community will be thrilled.

Your donation is in the mail (6-10 days, apparently).

I can do the resistor write up, but I won't be around for a while (wedding). If some of the other testers I sent the iPhone pictures to wants to throw something up, it would be nice.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:40 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Yay tephra! Congrats man, and high five!
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Damn, I just wet my pants!!!!

You would release this on a day that I won't be home for 13 hours
TMI!!!

Thanks Tephra, I will donate the day I use your stuff. Appreciate the awesome work.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I bought my X just in time! I think I got my IX just as you were releasing ROMs for that too.

Quick Reply: TephraXMOD V1