Notices
ECU Flash

ATTN: Tephra, or any other "developers"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATTN: Tephra, or any other "developers"

This is my first post here on the EvoM forums, and for good reason...there is a TON of good reading content on this website. I am completely blown away with how far you all have taken the EcuFlash stuff on this platform. I know this may be a bit to read, but I depserately need some good quality assistance at this point.

I have been spending a great deal of time reading on this forum, as well as others on the ROM editing, definition files, disassembly of the ROMs and so on. At this point however, I am finding myself at a serious "road block" on making any true advancements on something. Before anybody goes off the handle on me, I have done as much research and requests for assistance on other forums, with no luck in obtaining any assistance.

Club3g has been a starting point for me on some of this stuff as they had numerous ROMs and Definition files posted up there, unfortunately none of the ROMs and Definition files work...and I have had no luck with anybody over there helping with the issue. I have been able to open and edit another ROM in EcuFlash with no issue at all. Definitions are all placed in the right folders, uninstalled EcuFlash and reinstalled, and still nothing....but the one I have been sucessful with still works.

With that said, the platform I am working on specifically is the 8th Gen Galant V6 ECU. We know the 01+ ECUs are flashable (same with the 3rd Gen Eclipse ECUs) and this has been done with good success so far...but limited to an N/A setup. The drawback on the stock V6 Galant/Eclipse ECU is that we have no flash avalable to us in order to read boost. The 4cyl platform has an "easy out" as they have been flashing the Evo ROMs to the ECU.

I have been reading through the disassembly thread here on EvoM which people are using the IDA Pro software. I downloaded a copy (IDA Pro 5.5) to check things out for myself as well, but I will be honest...it is "out of my league" so to speak. I realize many of you who are involved with the development of the Evo ROMs are highly experienced and doing this in your own personal time. I do not expect this type of development to be done for free as I fully understand the time and work that you have all put into this stuff.

The feature that drew my attention is the "Big Map" for you folks here that was put together. The Galant/Eclipse ROMs are so limited with only 10 load elements, hardly enough room to make a good tune or expand up to 300% load. If the "Big Map" feature is something that could be edited to the V6 Galant/Eclipse ROM (even if it was just 20 elements) it would be a huge step forward for these platforms. Many of these folks have spent the money for an Emanage, or some even have gone as far as a standalone unit. To me honestly, I don't see that as "money well spent" when we can possibly do something else within the EcuFlash program (via ROM editing and so forth).

If other features could be added to the ROMs please let me know as we are open to anything at this point, but the "key focus" currently is just getting an altered ROM made to flash to our ECUs for those running boost.

I appreciate taking the time to read all of this, as well as any help people can give. As I stated before, I do not expect, nor will I accept this stuff to be done free. I have yet to see anybody else on these platforms making a proactive effort on this stuff, and I know many people will be able to use something like this including myself.

If you have any questons for me, please ask and I will spill all I can for answers
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
what processor does the galant use? SH2? H8? something else?

i presume you already have decent definitions for fuel/timing etc?

it wouldn't be "too hard" to add some basic features, bigmap on its own is probably relatively easy...

can you post the rom + xml you have?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Lattitude 48.38°, Longitude 17.58°, Altitude 146m = Slovakia, for common dude
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is H8 if that is same VR.
Are you into H8 coding?
Then Welcome on board Dave.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Small world.....I went to Arvada High.

If anyone can do it....Tephra can
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Lattitude 48.38°, Longitude 17.58°, Altitude 146m = Slovakia, for common dude
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe Ceddy is the the correct person now
He is one of most experienced coders in here for H8,
but the big maps can be done by anyone of us :P
Old Feb 18, 2010, 05:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad to see SPD_FRK working hard on this. I bought my Evo Ecu from Bertune a while ago so i might go that route. It would be really nice to see any mods added to our Galant ROMs for boost tuning and oher mods. Thanks for the help all.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by tephra
what processor does the galant use? SH2? H8? something else?

i presume you already have decent definitions for fuel/timing etc?

it wouldn't be "too hard" to add some basic features, bigmap on its own is probably relatively easy...

can you post the rom + xml you have?
I will be honest with you right now, I am confused if it is a H7 or H8. The information I have pulled from the Club3g forums is vague on some of the specifics with this stuff. There was a member there named "GateCrasher" who was working with the 98-99 3000 GT VR4 ROMs and thought the V6 Galant/Eclipse platform shared many similarites, though he has gone inactive and no confirmation of that.

I have downloaded all of the ROMs and Definitions that were posted here;
http://www.club3g.com/forum/eclipse-...iles-roms.html

But as mentioned before I cannot for the life of me get any of them to pull up in EcuFlash. At this point I would honestly prefer somebody to make a working definition file for the Galant and Eclipse V6 model. There is a definition file in that link above for the Galant GTZ, however I am not sure which ROM (if even in the list of ROMs) that definition goes to...plain and simple, none of that stuff works for me so I can't do much more.

Unfortunately those are the only ROMs and definitions I have to work with until somebody can get me one directly. I would obtain my own ROM, but my car is not wired up as it is in the middle of a fairly large build at this point. I am still contacting various members with V6 Galants, and the V6 Eclipse so that I can atleast get a ROM and definition file, but few reply back.

I will continue to do everything that I can on my end to get all the information you need, or atleast all that I know...if I don't know I will find out.

Originally Posted by Appauldd
Small world.....I went to Arvada High.

If anyone can do it....Tephra can
I actually moved out here from Minnesota in 2005, live just down the street fro that school now I believe too.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:09 AM

Not sure if this helps, but from the two definition files I can open here on my work computer I found this;
<memmodel>SH7052</memmodel>
I think that is the processor stuff, but I am not one to say for sure.

I have attached the definition files that were posted on Club3g to hopefully offer some help. I am still searching for an Eclipse GT or Galant GTZ/ES V6 ROM file though.

98870010 Is definition file for Eclipse GT I mentioned, and there are only 3 definition files for the Galant. The problem with the Galant definitions is the "ES" model came with either a 4cyl or the V6 so I am going to have to get the GTZ definition file uploaded from my home computer.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
rommetadata.zip (39.5 KB, 0 views)
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

By looking at the rom sizes in your .zip, 256K and 512K, I can tell they are all SH-2.

The H8s only come in 128K size.

If you want someone to help you out with a mod like "Big Maps" or something, its best to find one universal rom to use.

Another thing to possibly look at is a V6 Turbo rom and do a swap like the 4 cylinder guys with the Evo rom. The Legnum VR-4 is one to look at, it is basically a Galant station wagon, renamed Legnum for the Australian market. You would have to check if the ecus are compatible before trying a flash.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ceddy
By looking at the rom sizes in your .zip, 256K and 512K, I can tell they are all SH-2.

The H8s only come in 128K size.

If you want someone to help you out with a mod like "Big Maps" or something, its best to find one universal rom to use.

Another thing to possibly look at is a V6 Turbo rom and do a swap like the 4 cylinder guys with the Evo rom. The Legnum VR-4 is one to look at, it is basically a Galant station wagon, renamed Legnum for the Australian market. You would have to check if the ecus are compatible before trying a flash.
Ok cool, learned something new right there.

It is funny you suggest a "universal ROM' to use from turbo platform. I breifly mentioned the 3000GT VR4 ROM stuff in the original post, and that ROM and definition file is what I have been successfully using in EcuFlash to alter and play with. I haven't flashed this to any vehicles keep in mind, just simply learning the programs and anything more that I can.

I do have the 3K GTs files uploaded here now for you all to look at. The key difference with the 3000 GT from the Eclipse and Galant is that the 3K GT uses a distributorless ignition system (whereas the Galant and Eclipse run off a distributor). So I was curious initially if there is a way to pull the Galant/Eclipse ignition signal information from the ROM, and replace it in the 3K GTs ROM information.

The Legnum VR4 unfortunately is a totally different engine, and is a JDM/EDM spec vehicle so I am uncertain if that is a possibility.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
3K GT VR4.zip (66.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by SPD_FRK; Feb 18, 2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 05:49 PM

Recieved a ROM file from a member on Club3g via email.

This ROM is from the member's 05 Eclipse GT I believe ( I know for sure its a GT V6), file is zipped but is 130KB, if anybody can work from this one and wants it emailed shoot me a PM with the email address to send to.

*EDIT - I have the definition file now too that I can email

Last edited by SPD_FRK; Feb 18, 2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

Since it seems we have a slight argument over on club3g about the effectiveness of what is being done here to boost the V6... Will the developer working on editing this ROM please divulge if you are actually editing EVERY single load calculation reference in the ROM? If this is not happening, SPD_FRK is barking up the wrong tree. Big maps, knock cel, tephra code... All means nothing without the ECU understanding boost which can only happen with a FULL edit.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 06:35 AM

It would be great to have any support we can from the Evo guys with our ECU.

Thanks SPD_FRK!
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by PharmEcis
Since it seems we have a slight argument over on club3g about the effectiveness of what is being done here to boost the V6... Will the developer working on editing this ROM please divulge if you are actually editing EVERY single load calculation reference in the ROM? If this is not happening, SPD_FRK is barking up the wrong tree. Big maps, knock cel, tephra code... All means nothing without the ECU understanding boost which can only happen with a FULL edit.
Greg, saying I am "barking up the wrong tree" is pretty aggressive thing to say given the fact that nobody, including yourself has been actively working on this at all it seems.

You even have the develop (acamus) posting in the thread on Club3g now and has replied with some information yet you are still on this "I am right and you are all wrong" path and not contributing anything positive to this development anywhere. If you, like myself and many others want to see this happen then why not start on it yourself or work with the noted developer and make it happen?

As per your last post in the thread on Club3g;
Originally Posted by PharmEcis
Christ...
LOAD CALCULATIONS ARE DONE DIFFERENTLY. PERIOD. THAT'S IT. It's called ROUNDING. Remember elementary school math class?
Anything greater than 100% is rounded to 100%. Airflow doesn't mean ****. Airflow will always be monitored properly as long as the stock MAF is there. Some MAF's can read higher than others... In fact, the solution might be as simple as the number of characters allowed for load. If load is limited to two digits, it can never go over 99. If 3 are allowed, load can read in the hundreds, there by the ECU would understand boost.
BUT LOAD CALCULATION IS A ****ING EQUATION THAT IS REPEATED MULTIPLE TIMES IN THE ROM AND NEEDS TO BE EDITED SO THAT THE ROM WILL UNDERSTAND BOOST. IF THIS IS NOT DONE, NO 3G, GALANT, STRATUS COUPE, DIAMANTE, LANCER (non EVO), ENDEAVOR MAP WILL EVER UNDERSTAND BOOST NO MATTER HOW MANY FEATURES YOU ADD TO THE ROM.
It's the run time code that MUST be edited.
Why can you people not grasp this concept?

If that is all rue then bring something to the table and do something with what you know...clearly a lot of people want to see this actually work, which is why I asked for help here on EvoM.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

PharmEcis you seem to be confusing a MAP based car and MAF based car. Mitsu ecus are in no way similar to Honda ecus.

Mitsu MAF based cars only measure airflow, and have no idea what the vacuum/pressure is, most pre 95 cars don't even have a MDP sensor.

Load % which matches kPa pretty close is taken from the OBD2 section of code, so people could have easy to understand units for the table. Evos pre 7 don't even have Load % or OBD2.

Mitsu's unit of airflow is liters per revolution, often simplified to grams of air per revolution. The ecu injects 1 gram of fuel if there is 14.7 grams of air metered, or what ever the target AFR is, it doesn't care if manifold pressure is -20 inHg or 50 psi.

Quick Reply: ATTN: Tephra, or any other "developers"