Notices
ECU Flash

DIY - Trip computer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Lattitude 48.38°, Longitude 17.58°, Altitude 146m = Slovakia, for common dude
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DIY - Trip computer

As we all know we need free OBD socket for tuning purposes, therefore I have been
looking around for some standalone trip computer that would just plug and play.

I have come across trip-computer from Serg Electronics (Russian).

They have been able to provide one for me with English interface, maybe they can do it also with mpg instead of l/100km, which is frequently used unit in Europe.
What I like about this approach is that you just replace your clock and wire few wires. I have been using it for almost a year now without problems.

Anyway accidentally I have found a schematics that does the same thing but has to be programmed so I have thought it is worth sharing.

MODS, please rearrange if it shall be placed in some other sub-forum, I post mainly here so I thought it will not hurt.
Attached Thumbnails DIY - Trip computer-trip_computer.jpg  

Last edited by acamus; Jan 6, 2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 07:18 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Neat little unit.

USD Price equivalent is ~$87: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Just for reference, here is the translation of the features list:
(via http://translate.google.com/ )

In stock: 1000

Usually ships in:

Quantity:

Parameters of Category:
On-board trip computer version 4.2h SPORTS - TRIP COMPUTER v. 4.2x SPORT
- Measurement of the instantaneous fuel consumption relative to the current engine speed - l / h
- Measurement of the total fuel consumption - l
- Measurement of fuel per 100 km - l/100 km
- Measurement of the average fuel consumption per trip (3 algorithms) - l/100 km
- Precision tachometer - RPM
- Adjustable precision Speedometer - km / h
- Measurement of the average speed for the trip - km / h
- Adjustable high-precision odometer - km
- The estimated value of fuel in the tank - L
- The forecast path of the current balance of fuel - km
- Calculating the cost of fuel consumed per trip (rubles / hryvnia / Euro or U.S. $)
- Calculation of the average value of 100 km ((rubles / hryvnia / Euro or $) per 100 km)
- Measurement of temperature in the cabin and (or) overboard - 0C
- Voltmeter board voltage - In
- Current date and time (HH: MM: SS, DD: month: HS);
- Calendar
- Audio signal exceeding a preset speed (2 door) - for safe driving!
- Audio signal exceeding a preset speed of the engine - for maintaining a gentle mode of the engine
- Contrast and brightness of the indicator (day / night) gives the user (dimmer)

• collects detailed statistics (diary) for 80 trips, including: date and time of commencement of travel, length of visit, time in traffic, fuel consumption per trip, the mileage per trip, average fuel consumption per 100 km per trip, average and maximum speed for the trip, as well as the cost of fuel consumed per trip, all travel is conveniently grouped by date and sequence in a given date, and you can see a summary of the day;
• has a mode of high-precision measurements of acceleration time to the specified speed or a preset distance (mode - SPORT) - to determine the current state of the vehicle;
• has different correction modes: free-path, traffic, fuel consumption, on a float tank sensor, a clock, calendar - to set up BC for a specific vehicle.

Photos of the model number of our devices is available on our
Web site www.tripcomputer.ru

REAL Crisis ACTION!
While others offer to buy - we offer to save!
Board computer version 4.2h SPORTS helps reduce fuel costs by 30% and calculate the actual fuel consumption of your car!
The cost of the acquisition device (gadget) recovered already after 1 month of active service - you just save more!
Just the math!
Crisis - Time management investment finance.
Take advantage of our offer and start saving their money now!
Looks like it adds an audible shift warning, which is pretty sweet.

Last edited by fostytou; Jan 6, 2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

That is pretty neat. Wonder if the company would offer a group buy if several of us were to make the purchase.

Acamus....if we can get our hands on them would you provide the ECU pin outs for us to make install easy ??
Old Jan 6, 2010, 09:20 AM
wip
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fostytou
Looks like it adds an audible shift warning, which is pretty sweet.

Originally Posted by Appauldd
That is pretty neat. Wonder if the company would offer a group buy if several of us were to make the purchase.

Acamus....if we can get our hands on them would you provide the ECU pin outs for us to make install easy ??
I'd definitely be up for one in a group buy
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Lattitude 48.38°, Longitude 17.58°, Altitude 146m = Slovakia, for common dude
Originally Posted by Appauldd

OEM clock connector is plugged directly without modification.
So battery, ground, dimm and illumination are out of question.
There are three additional wires IIRC to be crimped on the original harness
1. injector signal (any of the four) EVO7 ECU PIN 1/2/4/5
2. vehicle speed signal EVO7 ECU PIN 86
3. fuel level signal - wire running from fuel gauge unit PIN1 to combination meter PIN 51

Last edited by acamus; Jan 6, 2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

So how do we get our grubby little mits on one ? ?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

If someones starts a group buy on this, there will be a ton of interest
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm all about the "REAL Crisis Action!" FYI, Google Chrome with the Google Translate extension is possibly the coolest thing ever for someone who barely remembers his year of Ukrainian lessons in high school, let alone any other languages.

But everyone should just get used to liters and meters, dammit. (I'll compromise, and won't demand that everyone spell it "litres".) Actually, it looks like the unit handles U.S. currency in it's trip cost calculations, so I'm surprised to not see imperial measurements listed.

More info on their forum as well, it looks like.

That's a very cool little unit; even more-so, given that it simply replaces the clock (and still provides timekeeping). I ran the documentation through Google Translate, which is pretty readable; I was wondering whether the configuration for the fuel level sender was hard-coded for your unit or adjustable, and it looks like it's adjustable. Cool beans.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Hmm. Is there a way to reflash these units, as Serg releases updated firmware, without disassembling it?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds very cool, and actually for a fair price for what it does. I'd be in for one.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by logic
Hmm. Is there a way to reflash these units, as Serg releases updated firmware, without disassembling it?
At the time I have asked about English UI they have had the release, so it was kind of quick I would say.
I believe schematics above says it all except for pulse signals scaling. Should not be that hard to figure out with oscilloscope. It was either AVR or PIC based (cant remember now) so reflash should not be that hard.
I am really sorry that I cannot help you more, but I could not find firmware for the schematics above

Maybe some of russian members (e.g. AIK) can arrange imperial units English UI group buy for you.

Last edited by acamus; Jan 6, 2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Heh! No, I meant something along the lines of a field reflash by...er..."normal people", not you or me.

Looking at your schematic and their docs, it looks like the answer is no, but it also looks like they haven't done a firmware update since 2007 anyway, so it probably doesn't matter.

Again, that's a great find. I've sent them an email about an English/imperial (U.S.) version, we'll see if Google translate can do the job.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Natasha at their customer service speaks pretty good English
So translation was not necesssary
Old Jan 6, 2010, 02:24 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by acamus
Natasha at their customer service speaks pretty good English
So translation was not necesssary
A/S/L?

.....I had to

Did you ask about a group buy or anything? What did she say?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
pretty sweet i would be interested

Quick Reply: DIY - Trip computer