Notices
ECU Flash

SVN repository online! All XML, ROMs, tools, spreadsheets go here!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2009, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
SVN repository online! All XML, ROMs, tools, spreadsheets go here!

dparrish has brought a new public Subversion repository online, from the evoecu.logic.net mirror. I really hope this isn't stepping on anybody's toes, but if I am please let me know. It's not much good if half the people are using a separate repository.

This one is hosted a Google Code Project Hosting, so it shouldn't go down at all (and I don't have to worry about keeping it running myself).

There is a downloads section where I will keep both an XML zip file and a ROMS zip file.

The instructions remain basically the same as recompile's original repository, but here they are again, with the new details.

What is SVN?
SVN, or Subversion, is a version control system that allows a group of software developers and end-users to collaborate and share using a common code-base. It allows people to easily share and access new developments, and can also be used as a simple software archive.
Why do we need SVN?
Currently, all the collective knowledge of EvoM is spread across different forums and threads. It's very difficult for a newcomer to learn the system, and to find all the intricate tools and developments that the community has to offer. SVN allows us to creating a central software archive, where people can add tools or spreadsheets or documents at will, and instantly share them with the community.

It also allows the new development of software (particularly things like EcuFlash/EvoScan ROM & XML developments) to be centralized, making it much easier to combine our efforts and also much easier for end-users to access the new developments efficiently.

For example, if a new EcuFlash table is defined, instead of having to catch the thread on EvoM (or go hunt for a 2 year old thread with the XML you need), the developer simply commits the code into the SVN repository and everyone else downloads it, as well as any other updates or new contributions.
How do I use SVN?
DISCLAIMER: This is a public, writeable repository. I cannot guarantee that the content is perfectly safe or perfectly legal. View, download from, and contribute to this repository at your own risk! This repository is to be used for educational and developmental purposes only, and should not be used in violation of any license agreements.

The repository can be browsed online at http://code.google.com/p/ecurom/source/browse.

The preferred use of SVN is to locally mirror the repository on your system. To do so, follow these steps:
  1. You'll need to download an SVN client, I recommend TortoiseSVN:
  2. Go to My Computer > C:\
  3. Right-click in white-space and select SVN Checkout
  4. For URL of repository, enter http://ecurom.googlecode.com/svn
  5. For Checkout directory, enter C:\evom
  6. Click OK.
  7. This will download the entire evom repository to C:\evom. From here, you have access to community tools, spreadsheets, roms, and EcuFlash and EvoScan XML.

IMPORTANT: To keep your files up to date, you should periodically right-click the C:\evom folder and select SVN Update. This will download the latest additions and contributions.
How do I add content to SVN?[INDENT]
REMINDER: If you have a spreadsheet or tool or any kind of contribution to ecuflash or evoscan XML, please contribute!

The checkout instructions above are for read-only use only. To check out for read-write, you will need a username and password that has access to the repository. You can use any Google account (gmail.com), or you can register for an account using your current email address here. Either way, PM me the email address (or email me on david@dparrish.com) and I will add you to the contributors list.

After you have access, you can follow the same instructions as above, except that the URL of the repository is now https://ecurom.googlecode.com/svn/. You will be prompted for a username & password, enter your registered email address and the "GoogleCode.com password" which you can find at https://code.google.com/hosting/settings.

If you have a tool (or any folder-full of content) to add:
  1. Right click C:\evom and run an SVN Update to make sure you are up to date.
  2. If you are adding a tool, create a new folder in C:\evom\tools and place your content within the folder
  3. Right-click your new folder and select TortoiseSVN > Add.
  4. Right-click C:\evom and select SVN Commit.
  5. Enter a message describing what you are adding.

If you have a spreadsheet (or any single file) to add:
  1. Right click C:\evom and run an SVN Update to make sure you are up to date.
  2. Place your spreadsheet in C:\evom\spreadsheets
  3. Right-click your spreadsheet and select TortoiseSVN > Add.
  4. Right-click C:\evom and select SVN Commit.
  5. Enter a message describing what you are adding.

If you have EcuFlash or EvoScan XML to contribute:
  1. Right-click C:\evom and run an SVN Update to make sure you are up to date.
  2. Check C:\evom\ecuflash\branches to see if there is an existing branch you want to make changes to. If not:
  3. Right-click C:\evom\ecuflash\trunk\evo and select TortoiseSVN > Branch/tag
  4. In the To url field, enter [url]https://ecurom.googlecode.com/svn/branches/[/url/<branchName> (substituting your username or project for <branchName>)
  5. Right-click C:\evom and select SVN Update.
  6. Make your changes/additions to your branch.
  7. Right-click C:\evom\ecuflash\branches\<branchName> and select SVN Commit.
  8. Enter a message describing what you are adding.

IMPORTANT: Periodically, and depending on what your branch consists of, we may or may not merge branches into the trunk, to become part of the "common base".

Last edited by recompile; Jun 1, 2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 09:42 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Derek and I have been thinking about this for a long time (most credit due to Derek, I thought it might be too much of a hassle).
Old Oct 22, 2009, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I think this is a good idea, however, one that needs structure to ultimately be successful.

I imagined a day where each table/definition has its own XML file, and rom-specific XML files are dynamically assembled by grabbing the appropriate definitions for each table that exist in that rom. Naturally, there would have to be some sort of oversight committee that ensures only good things get committed, and we'd have to come up with some standards... but it could be very nice to be able to one day check out the most up-to-date definitions for your ROM without having to wait for a new version of EcuFlash to come out.

I could work on a proof of concept if anyone else thinks this would be useful. of course, the goal here would be to have one location of "truth"
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:31 AM
EvoM Community Team

One other thing to note, ECUFlash is perfectly happy with having sub-folders. So for organizations sake if we wanted to do rommetadata\mitus\evo\88590015 , etc etc it would be A-OK.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fostytou
One other thing to note, ECUFlash is perfectly happy with having sub-folders. So for organizations sake if we wanted to do rommetadata\mitus\evo\88590015 , etc etc it would be A-OK.
Ahh, thats good to know!
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
will this include all evos or just usdm 8/9
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by todd6027
will this include all evos or just usdm 8/9
We can use SVN for anything, really.

I've added some more folders, check the first post for the list.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Dear god, yes. THANK YOU. (Honestly, I was surprised noone had bothered setting something up on SourceForge or similar yet.)

Edit: whoa. You're a trusting soul, running a publically-writable SVN repo.

Can I suggest mailer.py as a commit hook, and a mailing list for those of us who are interested in seeing changes as they happen?

Last edited by logic; Oct 22, 2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 07:02 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
fixed
Old Oct 22, 2009, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hope nobody minds that I spammed the repo with a bunch of stock roms from the wiki. It'd be good to have those together and backed up in at least one other place, though.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

The more the better

Honestly, I hope people commit all kinds of things... should make training & sharing a heck of a lot easier and things like migrating to a new computer.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Did you put enough in there?....Sheesh.

Is there any way to limit what auto loads?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

You can checkout only a portion of the repository if you don't want all of it, or just download individual files from the web-based repo-browser.

For example, you could SVN Checkout https://rallyevo.com:8443/svn/evom/tools/ to C:\evom\tools if you only care about tools.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some random thoughts:
- how many EvoM users are technical enough / want to bother with a version control system?
--- Note 1: WYSIWYG wiki is easier for non-technical folks to use
--- Note 2: SVN still useful for non-technical users as central repository, with anon (evom, evom) access
- maintenance of branches & merging to common branches and/or trunk could entail a significant amount of time to keep useful & up-to-date
- steps being taken to backup the SVN repository?
- does not obviate need for Wiki or other mechanism to explain new ROMS, features etc. (yeah, you can get around it by e.g. adding readme file to relevant ROM dirs, but not as user-friendly)
- open to abuse by users storing objectionable material, attempting to delete files, general hacking etc.

Note: I am not trying to dissuade you here, especially when you are doing something good for the EvoM community, and I am sure you have thought of many/all of the points I listed above, but just want to make sure you consider all factors.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a good plan

Quick Reply: SVN repository online! All XML, ROMs, tools, spreadsheets go here!